Skip navigation

1934 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 7:30 AM by PowerDribble
BlackDynamite35 Amateur 34 posts since
Sep 17, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 7, 2011 7:00 PM

HOW DO I GET MY HANDLES BETTER?...I NEED TRUE ANSWERS?

im a 6'5 15 year old that lives in Arizona, im trying to gett better at everything i possibly can. My biggest weakness is my handles, i have speed for my height, a jumper, plus im long which makes it easier for me to take it in..but everytime i get the ball, i loose it most of the times because i have no ball control.

CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT?????

• BlaZin113 Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010

squat down a little but not too much if your tall and your dribbles have to be very powerful if theyre weak then they other playerz can just take it away. Keep the ball low to the ground and when dribbling keep your non dribbling hand a little up to form an L to protect the ball. Thats pretty much the basics. And of course just keep your head up!

• theworldofhoops Pro 52 posts since
    Oct 17, 2010
    I am a former college basketball player and current  basketball skill trainer.  (http:www.theworldofhoops.com)

Ball handling requires a lot of repetition. Especially as a big guy you are going to need to put the work in.  But MAN!!!! At 6'5"....if you get your handle right and your shot right (I also answered on your 3 point post) IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES FOR YOU!  If you make up your mind to be great, and are willing to put the work in...the potential is HUGE!

A good idea is to  continually vary your ball-handling drills, and continually learn new  ones.  This requires you to adapt and will better serve your handle in a  game situation. 

Check out the School of Hoops ball handling section (http://theworldofhoops.com/school-of-hoops/ball-handling)

Again, it's hard to tell you which drills to work on without knowing how good your handle currently is. 

I recommend starting with the one-ball dribbling drills (figure 8, around one leg, killer cross, etc)
    Then move on to the two ball dribbling - be patient, these can be very difficult to master
    Then a little more advanced (but some of my favorite drills) are drills with tennis balls

There are a ton of videos here: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheWorldofHoops#p/u

If you are already 15 and you need a lot of work on your handle, you really need to get serious...you should be working it 4-5 days per week.

If you have any questions or you are interested in a customized training program, feel free to contact me at joe@theworldofhoops.com

Good luck!

Joe

www.theworldofhoops.com

joe@theworldofhoops.com

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010

I probably posted the same thing on the three-point post that you put out there... but once again iHoops has GREAT dribbling stuff in the practice time section. Also, if you look up Ganon Baker Basketball on YouTube there are dozens of drills that he runs through that have really helped me. (I play center) It should help you too.

• PowerDribble Amateur 20 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012

I have had many little and tall , young and old use this product. It is the Power Dribble, a great product and workout, check it out at www.powerdribble.com, hope it helps I have seen it work in person.

Good Luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points