Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1032 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 12, 2007 3:06 AM by alexanderthegr8042
CoachB008 Amateur 761 posts since
Apr 27, 2000
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 9, 2007 8:45 PM

Americans Likely to Medal at Worlds

It's not like there is a long list.  I would have to put Webb at the top of the list of American contenders for a medal at the World Championships.

Who else could grab a podium spot or at least make a final?

• coacht017 Amateur 153 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 10, 2007 10:53 AM (in response to CoachB008)
    Re: Americans Likely to Medal at Worlds

Many sprinters, hurdlers, throwers, and a jumper or two are in the hunt for medals as well as both relays.  Webb might be the only middle distance runner, but there are a couple of 800 guys who are competitive, Symmonds and KD.  Beyond 1500 the outlook is bleak.  Until there is a functional change in the approach to training and racing of American distance runners it is doubtful there will be much change in the future.

• AndyHass Rookie 1,368 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 10, 2007 11:38 AM (in response to CoachB008)

The problem goes a LOT deeper than training/racing.  Even back in US long-distance's heyday, guys were not running the kind of times that are commonplace now in competitors from Ethiopia/Kenya.

It's not just the US....as good as Mottram is he is a LONG way from the current 5k/10k WRs.

• charlieeee Amateur 125 posts since
    Jan 17, 2007
    4. Jul 10, 2007 4:12 PM (in response to CoachB008)

Maybe Webb, he's unreliable but has a string of good races goin on, hope his next races dont burn him out, he plans to do atleast 4.

Tyson Gay will most likely gold in either the 100 or 200, as will Wariner in the 400.

• stoken88 Rookie 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2005
    5. Jul 10, 2007 7:35 PM (in response to CoachB008)

I would think Lagat has at least a shot at medalling.  He might be getting older but a Silver and Bronze in the olympics, he obviously knows how to race in the big meets.  If he runs the 5k and it's a slow race I wouldn't be surprised if he medals, with his speed he probably can outkick most of the 5k regulars.

And Mottram was only what 5 seconds off the 2 mile world record?  Not that 8:03.50 translates into a sub-12:50 5k but the guy's pretty dang good.

• stoken88 Rookie 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2005
    6. Jul 10, 2007 7:37 PM (in response to CoachB008)
    • I guess even if Lagat medals there'd be an asterik beside his name anyway since he's a native of Kenya

• aiman559 Rookie 115 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 21, 2007 12:15 AM (in response to CoachB008)

Is Adam Goucher going, or where I can I find a list of people going?

Goucher is a tremendously good and underated runner. Look at his two mile in the Prefontaine classic he placed very well. Also I think Lagat has decent chances. He beat Webb at the Prefontaine Classic in the one mile

[http://This message has been edited by aiman559 (edited Jul-10-2007).|http://This message has been edited by aiman559 (edited Jul-10-2007).]

• alexanderthegr8042 Legend 1,228 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Jul 12, 2007 3:06 AM (in response to CoachB008)

I'd actually put my money on Sully before Webb for a medal at worlds. Webb has yet to prove he's a gamer and has the big-time race experience to win a world championship.
    I would like to add that Canada could potentially put 3 women into the final of the 100mH, 2 of which live just down the way from me.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...