Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6376 Views 33 Replies Latest reply: Feb 14, 2011 7:50 PM by flamomof3 1 2 3 Previous Next
2power Pro 91 posts since
Jan 5, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 8, 2011 10:11 AM

Garmin Forerunner

I'm buying a Garmin...why do you care? because I need your insight! I don't care about bells and whistles. Simple question to Garmin users: Do the Forerunners (205 & 305) tell you the current speed/pace you are running? That's my main concern. I'm in the process of researching, and this is one of my stops. What can you tell me? any advice/experience? according to my husband I like to throw money around, so I'm trying to stay under $200 or he will immediately buy a new depth finder for his boat to equal whatever I spend on a Garmin. 

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Feb 8, 2011 10:16 AM (in response to 2power)
    Re: Garmin Forerunner

The Garmin 305 has an "instantaneous pace" display box on the first (default) screen when running.  Many runners don't like it because it is not very accurate.  I, however, like it because I run in a hilly area and, like hand grenades, it's accurate enough.

You typcially can buy a 305 on Amazon.com for less than $150.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    2. Feb 8, 2011 11:01 AM (in response to Surfing_Vol)

I find the 305 to be very accurate for me, always within a sec or 2 to the race course time.  I use it with 4 screens (pace, ave pace, time and distance)  They all seem very close to me.

• munch82 Amateur 16 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    3. Feb 8, 2011 4:17 PM (in response to 2power)

i have a 205, gives you pace. i'm like you, pace was mainly what i wanted. the 205 does this and lots more than i'll ever use! has always been accurate for me. was looking on walmart.com the other day(my daughter was wanting to get one) and they had them for around $115.

• PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    4. Feb 8, 2011 9:07 PM (in response to 2power)

I ended up with the Garmin 405CX from Costco for $219.00.  It came with the HRM as well.  It is awesome!

I first bought the Garmin 110 but it didn't give me the real time pace, only an average.  The 405CX does have a lot of other features that may seem like to much, but you can program it to make your life simple!

Uploads are fast and fun to analyze.  You can always get complicated later

I thought it would be to big and bulky for me as I am a small person.  It really isn't!

For the money go for the Costco deal while they have them in stock.

Hope this helps.

Kathy

Performancecoachingllc.com

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011

I agree with runwithcoffee on the 405. In addition, the real time pace enables you dial in your speed so you don't go too fast too quick and burnout on the long runs.  Lot's of detail analysis and functions make it great for all types of sports besides running...

• Billsr Pro 159 posts since
    May 23, 2009
    6. Feb 9, 2011 3:45 AM (in response to Run4Coffee)

My brother just sent me his old garmin (he updated) so I am curious how this will help me in races. I ran nine 5k races last year all without any kind of timing device. Some of the races had mile markers and/or splits while others had nothing. I always tend to go out of the gate too fast and kind of slow down in the middle of the race. I'm hoping using the forerunner will help to keep me a bit more consistent.

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    7. Feb 9, 2011 4:48 AM (in response to 2power)

I've got a Garmin 205 and I don't know how I ever ran without it.  I run with 4 windows on the screen; average split pace, current pace, time, and distance.  It is great in both training runs and races because I can glance on my pace for that split as well as current pace so I know if I need to speed or slow down a bit to meet a pace objective.  I haven't found any significant discrepencies in distance, it seems to be pretty accurate.  It may be that your friend is comparing the distance he ran in a race to the race designated distance.  Unless you hit the tangent on every curve exactly as the person measuring the distance did you won't match.

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Feb 9, 2011 5:10 AM (in response to 2power)

The 305 does a great job on pace and distance.   Most of my 5Ks are within 3.1 to 3.15 miles since I normally try and cut corners when I can.   My only 'issue' with it is the size of the darn thing.  It's tough to use in the winter with a glove and long coat.   I barely notice it in the summer.

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

Nov 6, 2007
    9. Feb 9, 2011 5:55 AM (in response to vcackerman)

vcackerman wrote:

The 305 does a great job on pace and distance.   Most of my 5Ks are within 3.1 to 3.15 miles since I normally try and cut corners when I can.   My only 'issue' with it is the size of the darn thing.  It's tough to use in the winter with a glove and long coat.   I barely notice it in the summer.

Didn't you notice the extra-long watch band that came with the 305?  Put that on Garmin and strap the watch on the outside of your coat.  Works like a charm.  Of course I'll bet that you threw the extra-long watch band away.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

Nov 6, 2007
    10. Feb 9, 2011 5:57 AM (in response to Billsr)

Billsr wrote:

My brother just sent me his old garmin (he updated) so I am curious how this will help me in races. I ran nine 5k races last year all without any kind of timing device. Some of the races had mile markers and/or splits while others had nothing. I always tend to go out of the gate too fast and kind of slow down in the middle of the race. I'm hoping using the forerunner will help to keep me a bit more consistent.

I've found that MANY mile markers are inaccurate, some by as much as nearly 2/10ths of a mile.  DON'T rely on mile markers on any but the best organized races.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

Nov 6, 2007
    12. Feb 9, 2011 8:37 AM (in response to 2power)

2power wrote:

Thanks for some feedback...I'm still obsessing over the 205 vs. 305....I know it's a personal preference, but for the extra few bucks does anyone really use their heart rate monitor? Do you have to strap a band over your chest your whole run? I think I'd be swatting at it with annoyance the whole time...I'm not sure if I want to spend the extra money to throw the strap in the ditch a 1/2 mile into my run.

I use the HR monitor, but I don't obsess over the data.

And, yes, you have to wear the strap in order for the HR monitor to work.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    13. Feb 9, 2011 8:51 AM (in response to 2power)

If you are planning on running a marathon the HR monitor is well worth the 20 dollars.  If you are just running 10ks/5ks no need, but for 20 I think the 305 is a better deal than the 205?

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points