Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

885960 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 108 109 110 111 112 ... 297 Previous Next
  • SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,635. Feb 9, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to emtkim94)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

emtkim:  Welcome to our ever-growing group.  My motivation during winter (I'm in Chicago) is to register for my first two races of the new year as soon as I can.  They occur in mid-April (5K) and early May (half marathon) and I sign up as soon as registration opens.  At that point, I've commited to run them so I have goals to work toward.

PS:  What part of Michigan?

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

• Merlynda Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 25, 2009
    1,636. Feb 9, 2011 9:16 PM (in response to TX248)

Hi TX248 - Last year I started training with a group, and an orthopedist in the group told me that I should take shorter steps when I run.  It definitely helped, and unless I try to do long strides for a long period of time, I don't get shin/lower leg pains anymore.  I hope it helps. 

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    1,637. Feb 10, 2011 6:30 AM (in response to Donna914)

I love this penguin group!!  When I was a runner (15 years ago in High School) I had no problem running sub 5:30 miles and a 16-17 minute 5k.  But now that I'm back into it. I'm having a lot of trouble seeing the increase in speed.  Of course I'm heavier now, my stride is completely different, and I run more flat footed that I did in the past.  As a result I seem to battle shin splints, and hip pain more than I should.  Nothing major, but enough that I can't run as much as I'd like sometimes.  My question is - will I ever get more old form back?  Will this come as a lose weight?  I just need that glimmer of hope.

• Sunrunner719 Amateur 35 posts since
    Nov 8, 2010
    1,638. Feb 10, 2011 11:43 AM (in response to Donna914)

I received my Penquin shirt yesterday. I'm very exited for the run on Saturday.

I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a piece of seaweed touches my foot.

definition of running: To move swiftly on foot so that both feet leave the ground during each stride.

9/18/10 Graduate C25k

10/2/10 Run For Courage 5k time 47.18

11/6/10 Run for Safe Haven 5k  time 45.00

2/12/11 Valentine Run 2011 4 miles 58:10

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,639. Feb 10, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Patrick

IMO weight is the key barier to both speed and distance.  It is just plain hard to carry extra weight.  Back 30 years ago I was a runner. My Half marathon pr was just over 1:35 and my 10k pr was just over 43. I had no problem with any distance up to 30k and my best marathons were under 4 hrs. Then I broke my leg playing raquet ball.  I needed an exercize fix while I was recovering so I started lifting weights. I went from mid 140 lbs to mid 180's.

After my leg was fully recovered, 3 miles was hard. All running was so hard compared to just three months earlier.  For over 6 months I tried to both lift and run. I was in great shape, but could not recover the smooth and easy feeling I had at the lower weight. I kept lifting weights and switched to biking for my aerobic work.

After I retired, I started losing weight dropping from about 210 to just over 180.  I finally started to run a bit the end of last Summer. It took months to be able to run 3 miles without walking. My weight is right under 180, and I am sure that the weight is one of my big barriers to better running.

One of the BIG problems I have is that I can still remember how it was when I used to run. When I feel good I fall into a pace that is easy for a short time because that is a pace that used to be very easy, even slow. But In my current weight and condition I am really over doing it speed wise and I can't keep it up.  I am still trying to learn to slow down as I train up.

Its funny, that I can barely remember the difficulty I had when I first started running in the mid 70's, but I vividly remember the feeling of running easily at  speeds that today seem like a fantasy. Not those times you did in HS, but much faster than anything I am capable of at this time.  I am sure I will learn to slow down to speed up in the long run.

YMMV

Good running Jack.

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    1,640. Feb 10, 2011 1:32 PM (in response to Sunrunner719)

Good Luck, Sunrunner, for your upcoming run! 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    1,641. Feb 10, 2011 1:41 PM (in response to Scrufffy)

To Patrick and Scruffy:    

I think I am extremely lucky in that I am 56 and have only been running a couple of months.  I was not athletic even in my youth (more a bookworm, indoor type).   I've lost 60 pounds and now, with each and every step I run, I am just THRILLED to be doing it.  I have no glory days to look back on.  These ARE my glory days. 

From all that I've been reading on posts, etc. I think that those returning to running are actually at a disadvantage generally - because they put pressure on themselves to live up to previous times.  It just seems to make them disappointed, disheartened, disgruntled, and they often HURT themselves applying pressure.

Live in the NOW.  Be happy for running.  Keep it fun.  Don't fret over what was or what should be or will be but be IN the  moment.  You'll get a lot more out of life and running without the comparisons.  As brutal as it may sound, few people CAN do the same things we could 15, 20, 30 years ago (and 15, 20, 30 pounds ago).  Some elite athletes, yes, but most of us have had general life in the interim.   So what if we don't do what we once did?   We should still be proud of each step we run and each mile we go.  We should be content with the health benefits we are reaping and all the positive effects, rather than driving ourselves to injuries and disappointments.  Let the past go and run in the PRESENT and for the present. 

My 2 cents' worth, of course.  These opinions do not necessarily represent the views of the general public . . . etc. etc. etc. 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,642. Feb 10, 2011 4:46 PM (in response to Sunrunner719)

Sunrunner and SusanBarron -- I'm excited too -- hopefully we can meet up there.  I'm planning to start at the end of the pack since I'm so slow.  I figure it's my job to watch to see that no one has passed out and fallen in the bushes and also that the water stations are being properly dismantled.  Hopefully, I will at least come in before the toddlers, but maybe not -- maybe if I scatter packets of candy the night before, that will slow them down!  Seriously -- my time will be about an hour and 15 min with luck.  It'll be fun, though.  It goes through a very nice neighborhood.  Good luck, ladies!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• CathyK817 Amateur 10 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    1,643. Feb 10, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to TX248)

TX248, I will start this by saying that I am by no means an expert....but, in my experience, if you have not yet, PLEASE go to a running store with a good reputation for fitting shoes.  They should take a look at the shoes you are currently wearing and how they are worn.  Also they should watch you walk and run to see your gait for what type of shoe would be best for you.  Now...the other thing is to start taking a look at exercises that will help strengthen your leg muscles to better support your knees, feet and ankles.  I started this little venture at over 200 pounds at 53 yo.  One thing is not to try to do too much too fast.  Combine walking and jogging/running for a while until you build your endurance and leg muscle strength.  There are lots of good exercises to prevent injury on this website as well as some others.  I have always had terrible problems with shin splints which stopped after I got a good pair of fitted sneakers and learned how to lace them up correctly for my foot.  Also, I had to learn that if I was going to run I was going to run/walk in spurts and  build up slowly.  I still had some soreness but I learned from that how to slow it down a little and make it work for me to go for the longer haul by walking and running.  To get myself to the point I could tell when I was needing to walk I had to stop running for a few days, let my shin splints heal and then start some phases of walking, running.  Then when I am running and I feel pain, I know it's time to walk to permit recovery.  Almost always, I can run again in a few minutes and I don't end up hurting myself.  The best part is, with this plan I could run as many days as I wanted and my distances just kept getting longer and longer with more running than walking.

Best of luck TX 248.  I hope you continue to enjoy running and that it gets better for you.

Dec 28, 2010
    1,644. Feb 10, 2011 4:52 PM (in response to Sunrunner719)

Ok, I missed this but I'm new.  How did you get a Penguin shirt???

Dec 28, 2010
    1,645. Feb 10, 2011 5:00 PM (in response to MelissaGraham7)

Melissa---Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.  I so agree.  I have always been a couch potato and very overweight.  I've started working on losing the weight and getting active since August.  I've lost about 24 pounds and have somewhat stalled but have focused on staying active and continuing to work on it.  I LOVE TO RUN!  Where that came from I have no idea.  If you had told me a year ago that I would be doing 5K's I would have told you that you were nuts and certifiable.  My time is slow but I'm good with it since it would have taken me forever to walk 3 miles a year ago and now I can run it in 40 minutes at a steady, slow pace.  I'm learning so much about me and life in this process.  I'm so glad that this is new for me and I have nothing to compare it to because I'm so proud and want to enjoy every single second no matter how long it takes me to run whatever distance I choose to run.  The key thing is I do choose to run now as often as I can.  Being 53 just makes me laugh at this more.  I love running with the young and the old folks here in Florida because we all share the joy of running each race that we run.  Take one day at a time and revel in every minute.  I run for the sheer joy of the moment and the feeling of making a difference in my life.  I hope others can have this experience too!

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    1,646. Feb 11, 2011 8:52 AM (in response to CathyK817)

Just got home from vacation...but happy to say I got in 2 runs along the beach and tons of walking! Retiredgirl61 and Sunrunner I also got my penguin shirt "waddle on" for me, can't wait till tomorrow's race and retiredgirl you make me laugh with the candy idea...I may follow behind and grab all the candy!!

The penguin shirts can be found at onemoremile.net I have ordered from them twice and they get here (california) very quickly and are very nice shirts...have not only penguin but other fun sayings, I have one that says "you don't have to go fast, you just gotta go" I wear that one when I am questioning whether I can get my run in....makes me smile!!

Jo Ann good luck on your half with Mimi...can't wait to hear both of your reports!!

I saw some people running in our new home to be in Ecuador but there is no "formal" running groups or races so I will definately miss that...my husband thinks we should organize a run for a local charity...something to think about but this is really a small South American town so I will learn more when we move!!

Good luck to everyone this weekend!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    1,647. Feb 11, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to Scrufffy)

I couldn't agree with you more.  I think any bounce in my step is caused by the bounce in my midsection.  But of course even that bounce dies out.  I'm hoping to drop 40lbs by the time I run at Disney in January 2012.

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,648. Feb 11, 2011 9:18 AM (in response to susanbarron)

Susan! Good to have you back and good luck with your 4 mile run tomorrow! I can't wait to hear your report!

Good luck to everyone else that will be running events this weekend! I am super excited to meet JoAnn!! Should be awesome!

I bought a shirt at the Expo at my first HM that I am going to wear for my HM on Sunday. It is bright pink and in white letters it says...13.1 and then under it it has " I don't go all the way!"

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    1,649. Feb 11, 2011 4:48 PM (in response to CathyK817)

susanbarron:  I hope you can find some other runners, if even on an informal basis, to run with after you move.  Just stay in touch with us and let us know how you're doing.

CathyK:  Congratulations on your positive outlook.  It's a real pleasure to be able to run, regardless of our times, just to say that we still do this at our ages.  I envy you because you're in Florida and can run year-round.

JoAnn and Mimi:  All the best to you on your HM this weekend.  Trust your training, support each other and you will do well.  Pretend that the rest of us are at the start to see you off and at the finish line cheering you on.  I'm looking forward to your race report(s).  If possible, please include some photos with your finisher's medals.

Good luck to all those racing this weekend.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...