I am on here searching for hints on good running music. I always hit next, and find I never have the right music. The tunes I like arent what keeps me running. I am always looking for something fast and upbeat- loud so I can't hear me huffing and puffing.
It doesnt matter to me what speed I'm running, I find I push myself harder with faster music.
To make my playlist I just took the fast-paced songs by my favorite artists and put them on a playlist. I then put the playlist on random and just go. I like any song with a quick pace; strong instrumentals are especially good. I mainly listen to rock, but some hiphop is good as is some dance music. I, personally, wouldn't use an app. It's not because it's not a great idea but my Droid is way too heavy to run with and I greatly prefer my iPod Nano.
1. I pre-configure my play list before running. I have three "running" playlists on my iphone4, each built according to time. i.e., 35 minutes of music., 45 minutes of music and 60 minutes of music.
2. If the song is quick paced, so will my run be. I prefer Alternative/Indie/Electronic and some Heavy Metal/Rock, and even some Pop/Dance/Rap. Examples in current 35 minute list: Collarbone by Fujiya & Miyago; Gold Guns Girls by Metric; Feel it in my Bones feat Tegan and Sarah by Tiesto; Clocks by Cold Play; Thunderstruck by AC/DC; Eye of the Tiger by Foreigner; Whip My Hair by Willow [Smith] and Britney Spears' Gimme More as remixed by Paul Oakenfold
3. I'd be very interested in your application, if it worked. Seems like it would be difficult to meet such a broad spectrum of tastes for a runner who needs her music to run.
~Running. Cheaper than therapy. Safer than drugs. -Me, 2011
Believe. Achieve. Inspire.
05/14/2011 St. John’s Sunset Run 5k (31:42)(PR)
05/21/2011 Bear Lake Challenge 4mi (41:22)(84/153)(3/10)
05/28/201 Run for the World 5k (30:07)(PR)(62/164)(3/18)
06/18/2011 Gary McAdams 5k (28:00)(144/356)(3/18)(PR)
06/25/2011 Blueberry Bash 5k (29:06)(26/78)(2/21)
08/13/2011 Argonaut 5k (77/117)(30:17)(77/117)(1/4)
09/03/2011 Dolphin Dash 5K (27:50)(56/105)(2/3)(PR)
09/06/2011 Met my 2011 Goal of running 10K (11:39/mi)(PR)
09/24/201 Pensacola Seafood Festival 5K (missed due to injury)
10/01/2011 Superhero 5K (27:32)(PR)(48/148)(3/18)
10/08/2011 Tiger Trot 10k - canceled due to injury
1. I've tried pre-configuring my playlist, playing random songs, and playing full albums. My only criteria is that the songs have a beat that easily fits with my pacing. When I ran my first HM, I preconfigured my playlist to start with some slower ambient music since I knew that the first few miles would be slow anyway, then I just gradually built up the music based on bpm for the remainder of the race. Although, having done this 3 times already, pacing doesn't correlate as well with bpm over longer distances, which kind of make sense.
2. I typically stick with songs that have progressive beats. Cadence.FM has recently been pretty useful for this.
3. Sure! I'd try out your app! I haven't found one yet that integrates well with the Nike+ app (certain OS limitations as well) - so I'm looking forward to checking out yours