Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

1023 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 2:42 PM by MarkH
KStrong3 Rookie 5 posts since
May 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 11, 2011 3:21 AM

Left Handed Catcher

My daughter is playing 12u travel ball & they want her to be the main catcher on the team. She's caught before in our area league but I was wanting insight from others if you think she can succeed at this position with her being left handed? I haven't seen anyone left handed catching.

• Kidz n Sports Pro 76 posts since
    Jun 24, 2002
    1. Feb 11, 2011 2:33 PM (in response to KStrong3)
    Re: Left Handed Catcher

It is true that you don't see a lot of left handed catchers.  It tends to be a left over from baseball.  However, sometimes a lefty in softball can have an advantage because of all the left handed slappers.  There will be some things she'll have to work harder on and some things she will have an advantage on.

I'll bring this up during my show today with Cindy Bristow.  Check out Kidz "n" Sports, 4-5 PM Pacific at www.AdrenalineRadio.com.  I'll throw it out some time during the show.

Best of luck to your daughter.

Coach Mike

• MarkH Pro 98 posts since
    Jan 15, 2000
    3. Feb 14, 2011 9:52 AM (in response to KStrong3)

Left handedness is not a problem for a fp catcher. More than a few have excelled even as high as the National Team. Don't give it a thought.

• MarkH Pro 98 posts since
    Jan 15, 2000
    4. Feb 16, 2011 2:42 PM (in response to MarkH)

Google Jenny Topping. I think there was another on the nat team but the memory has faded with time.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points