Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2044 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2011 11:25 AM by 5kccrun RSS
5kccrun Rookie 4 posts since
Feb 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2011 1:19 PM

5K Interval Training - 12 Weeks.

Hello

Since the 1st of January 2011, I have been training for a High School 5K Beach Run happening on the 6th of May (I'm only 16 and weigh around 65kg). My first run was about 4:30perKM(7:38perMILE) however I have now taken my time down to 4:10perKM(6:42perMILE). My training has just involved running a bit further than 5K on the beach, three or four times a week. With only about 12 weeks left, I would like to try some interval training to decrease my time by another 20 seconds per KM. In total, I can run 5K in 21minutes, and I am trying to decrease my time to 19 minutes 30 seconds in 12 weeks (I'm happy with anything sub 20 minutes though)

Does anyone know of an Interval Training program that is suitable for me? I have searched google, however they all seem to vary, and I would like a program that would make the most use of the remaining 12 weeks.

Cheers

Jack

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 12, 2011 6:58 PM (in response to 5kccrun)
    Re: 5K Interval Training - 12 Weeks.

What you're doing is pretty good.  If I were you, I'd do a speed work out once a week and a hill work out once a week.  Make sure you schedule an off day after both of these.  The goal will be to go hard on these two days.  On the speed day sprint 75% for 60 seconds jog 25-35% for 60 seconds.  Repeat for 20 mins... increase by 5 mins each week.  For the hill workout -  Find a fairly steady 45 degree hill that's about 40 meters in length.  Run hard up - walk down - turn around and start again.  Also - start at 20 mins.  This was a work out we did when I ran Cross Country in High School.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points