Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4210 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2011 12:16 AM by Basscycle
Fit4Nuthin Rookie 1 posts since
Feb 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2011 1:56 PM

Bad running day

Couldn't do it today.  I'm on week 5 of C25K, been doing OK up until now, but today I needed to do the 20 min run.  Had to get up early to run cos partner working and I had to look after my son all day, had a few glasses of wine last night, really struggled, and couldnt deep going after about 15 mins.  Should I: try again tomorrow (might be better if I dont run first thing), or do the week again?

• chica1976@juno.com Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    1. Feb 12, 2011 3:26 PM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)
    Re: Bad running day

GREAT Attempt!  However, wine the night before and an early morning run the next day are just not a good combo. Probably suffered from dehydration.  Suggestion 1) Drink plenty of water today and tomorrow.

I am not familiar with your training plan, however

Suggestion #2) Go back to your schedule. Don't push it because you feel guilty for a bad run. You don't want to risk injury.

Now, I can GUARANTEE you can go out for a 30 min. run on your next schedule long run if you follow the following method step by step.

Suggestion #3)

a) You have to have a well rested night before you go out for this run (i.e. NO WINE and NO staying up late)

b) Wake up drink your cup of coffee or juice, what ever your routine. (i.e. NO big breakfast til you get back from run. That's your reward)

c) Now head out early [early morning runs are best, it gets your metabolism pumping for the rest of the day]

d) Now run for one minute then walk for a minute. Then repeat for the entire 30 minutes, alternating between walking and running.

YOU will FINISH 30 minutes and will be amazed how good you feel. 

If you like this method I GUARANTEE you could run a half marathon! This is the Galloway Method. I am part of a training group in Albuquerque, NM.  Here is the website www.abqgalloway.com

Try it you might like it!

Keep Running!

Gotta hit the road, maybe I'll see you there!

CHICA

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2. Feb 12, 2011 3:48 PM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

Hey FitforGOOD (I took the liberty of changing you handle to something positive)   You are fit. You ran 15 minutes. That is a HUGE accomplishment! So what if the plan said run 20. Feel free to repeat the week.....DO NOT TRY TO RUN AGAIN TOMORROW!  REPEAT THE WEEK! Many ppl who have followed the C25K program have repeated a week or more. In the scheme of life, a repeated week is no big deal.

I do think the wine may have affected you, but you will find in running that you will have good days, and you will have bad days. It may be due to what you ate or drank the day before, the time of day, the time of month, the amount of sleep you got, the amount of stress you are under, or any other unknown reason.Sometimes it is physical, sometimes it is mental.

Keep up the good work. Join one of the threads that started C25K about the same time as you and before you know it you will be running a 5K....or more!

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Feb 12, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

I repeated weeks on c25k! we all have bad days and weeks. Good Luck

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    4. Feb 12, 2011 6:51 PM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

A setback is not a setback unless you call it that.

I would try again tomorrow (Put that wine glass down).  Keep up the good work!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,408 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    5. Feb 12, 2011 7:47 PM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

As others have said: There will be bad days. (I've said this often myself, but usually in relation to marathon training.)  You actually did very well for a bad day.  This was week 5 day 3 (w5d3) if I remember correctly.  C25K has you running only 3 days a week, and never on consecutive days.  So don't run tomorrow.  This is important for injury prevention, introducing your legs gradually to the stresses of running.  You could repeat week 5 as suggested above.  Or you could repeat w5d3 on your next scheduled day, then begin week 6 on the following scheduled run.

Len

Len

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    6. Feb 12, 2011 8:48 PM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

I had a bad running day today to, don't sweat it, it happens to the best of us.

I am training for a full marathon and just ran out of gas, had to quit short of my goal.

I am going to interval run next weekend: run 1 mile walk a minute.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• Couch2MarathonMom Amateur 14 posts since
    Jan 30, 2011
    7. Feb 12, 2011 9:12 PM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

Personally, I'd repeat the day (after the standard one day of rest), not the entire week. Either way is totally fine, but personally I'd want to get the 'failed' run done ASAP.

15 min is great. You can do 20 if you can do 15. Slow down as slow as you can possibly stand; that'll help you complete it!

You can do it!

StephanieZ

First run 8/31/10

c25k grad 10/23/10

b210k grad 12/2/10

Decker's Creek HM 2:11:12 (10:00.9 pace) 6/4/11

Ashburn Farm 10k 57:30 (9:16 pace) 11/24/11

• fionnmac Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 2, 2008
    8. Feb 13, 2011 2:39 AM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

I wouldn't worry too much about a bad day, it happens to all of us at some time. I had a bad day today, just couldn't get the lead out of my legs. I've been training for a while and I have noticed that I sometimes have bad days, but then it cycles around and I have really good days. I suspect it is all part of getting better. I'm not familiar with the C25K program but I don't see any reason why you can't just repeat the run so that you feel successful throughout your training. Good luck!

1/1/11 - Gig Harbor New Years Day Run for Heroes 10k - 55:20

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    9. Jan 7, 2014 6:17 AM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

I totally agree with LenzLaw - you should not run tomorrow, and begin week 6 as scheduled.  And, yes, we all have bad days!  Did you feel guilty today that you weren't able to complete your run?  Did it make you regret drinking that wine last night?  If so, remember that feeling next weekend when you are tempted to drink a few glasses of merlot with your dinner.  You will think twice about it, trust me.  I went thru the same thing when I was training for my first marathon.  I was young, single, and living in Los Angeles.  My social life centered around going out for dinner and drinks.  HOWEVER, after failing at reaching my running goals after several of those occasions, I decided it just wasn't worth it.  I was determined to compete in my first marathon race, and didn't want to "half-***" it.  After all of the hard work I was putting into getting myself in shape and reaching my running goals, the wine (which I do love) just wasn't worth it.  Now, I'm not saying you can't ever drink, but maybe not the night before a long run.  And, as always, hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!  Even if you drank a couple glasses of wine two nights ago, your body can sometimes still struggle on the next run if you haven't properly re-hydrated.

Don't beat yourself up though! You are doing great - you just had a minor hiccup.  Learn from it and push onward!

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    10. Feb 15, 2011 12:09 AM (in response to Fit4Nuthin)

Just stopped by this blog because it's title was interesting.  Fit4Nuthin, consider it a small speed bump in your training and a lessoned learned to not drink alcohol the day/night before your long run.  I would take the rest day and not go off the schedule.  When you become a long distance runner you have to listen to your body.  There are times I run my long runs and I'm way short of my goal times, which frustrates the heck out of me.  It could be a lot of factors:

• Dehydration from too much alcohol the day before.
    • Too fast of pace at the beginning of your run.
    • Didn't eat or drink fluids before the run.
    • Weather could be a factor

Whatever you do don't worry about it, it's just another day.

• Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Feb 15, 2011 12:16 AM (in response to ColoCorredor)

Another in agreement with Lenzlaw and with Runpals -- never underestimate the value and importance of hydration. Again, cells tend not to work all that effectively when they're deprived of water.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points