Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3101 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 12, 2011 8:04 PM by Sandygunger
Weegie Haag Rookie 4 posts since
Jan 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2011 9:23 AM

Friends/Mentors?

Turned Forty in November and quit smoking as a present to myself. I started walking the day I quit, and for the last 6weeks I've been training for my first 5K which I finished today.I'm at the walk/run stage and I'm Looking for Friends/mentors interested in showing a "newbie" the ropes and to offer advice and support.

• hillbabyno5 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 12, 2011
    1. Feb 12, 2011 1:15 PM (in response to Weegie Haag)
    Re: Friends/Mentors?

Congrats on your first finish!  I ran my third 5K today (in Nashville) and have decided to try to run at least one race a month for now. I am already signed up for one March 19th...Maybe that way I will stay focused and try to get better at just running the whole distance, and cutting my time down. Seeing that finish line was great, huh?

Fiddler 5k - July, 2008

Relay 5k - May, 2009

Fangstastic 5k - February, 2011

Diamonds in the Rough 5k - March, 2011

Purity Moosic City Dairy Dash - April, 2011

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    3. Feb 12, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to Weegie Haag)

congrats to both of you on your running. This site has a lot of active threads that offer support & encouragement. The penguin thread is one that you might want to join in. http://community.active.com/thread/91142/calling-all-penguins-slow-runners/0/0

Lots of supportive ppl there.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• chica1976@juno.com Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 18, 2008
    4. Feb 12, 2011 3:35 PM (in response to Weegie Haag)

WONDERFUL!

It's so awesome to learn about new runners and their sucess stories.  I bet you could train for a half marthon continuing the run-walk method.  I would encourage you to google: Jeff Galloway and see if there is a training group in your area.  It's an amazing program with supportive people that run-walk.  I have complete 5 marathons in the past 2 years using this method. I run injury free and had quick recovery.

Try it you might like it!

Gotta Run!

CHICA

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Feb 12, 2011 4:33 PM (in response to Weegie Haag)

Congrats on not smoking anymore... it's tough but you will be glad you did. I followed the c25k, then I went on to the One hour runner and now I'm training for my first Half Marathon! Good Luck

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    8. Feb 12, 2011 6:46 PM (in response to Weegie Haag)

Congrats on your recent race success.  Hopefully that's the first of many!!  I just joined this board a couple weeks ago and everyone here is awesome and is really great at giving feedback and keeping you motivated.  Keep coming here and you'll see the benefit.

• Sandygunger Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    9. Feb 12, 2011 8:04 PM (in response to Weegie Haag)

WOW you could me by twin  :-) 

I was smoking a pack a day and have since quit, run in one 5K, and am currently training for a mud run in September.    I think the key to sticking with it is finding support from friends and family.  I've found that the online communities (active.com, facebook, twitter etc) have all been a great means for finding supportive friends to cheer me on.  Get some online buddies with the same or similar goals and hold each other accountable.  I've also enjoyed reading blogs of others that are training for a race.

Feel free to follow mine by clicking the link below.  I'd love another accountability partner!!

http://emptynestfitnessquest.blogspot.com/

Sandy Gunger

Follow me on my journey:
    http://emptynestfitnessquest.blogspot.com/

Scheduled Races 2011

4/10/11 - Raleigh Rocks
    4/30/33 - Angels Among Us
    September 2011 - I'm training for a 10K MUD RUN!!!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points