Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4836 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2011 9:45 PM by SlimJD RSS 1 2 Previous Next
SlimJD Amateur 8 posts since
Feb 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 10, 2011 9:36 PM

This couch potato has got to get running. Help!

Hello everyone, I've been active off and on but never to the point of running or even jogging! It's always been a dream of mine to be able to just run on the threadmill without getting winded 2 minutes into it. Ultimately, I'd love to loose the extra fat I'm logging around (15 pounds) and just live and run free! Truth is each time I take a baby step, stuff comes along and I get side tracked so my almost non-existent exercise regimen is constantly made up of false starts.

At this point, I seriously want to start over and begin a new C25K regimen and I would deeply appreciate all the tps, encouragement, and support I can get from you all.

Thanks.

• DRDollie Expert 57 posts since
    Aug 24, 2010
    1. Feb 11, 2011 5:08 AM (in response to SlimJD)
    Re: This couch potato has got to get running. Help!

Hi Slim JD--there's a group that's really helped me--it's the  200 lbs+  group.  I stay in touch with them and it's really motivating and lots of practical tips (and they let me in even though I'm not 200 pounds...)

http://community.active.com/thread/81129/200-pound-club/5940/0

is the link to the most recent messages. 

If you post there, you'll get answers to questions, find 'virtual' training partners, etc.

DRDollie

Brambleton 5k, April 2010: 46:49.9 15:06
    FitMommi 5k, May 2010 : 45:10 14:32

Freeze Your Gizzard 5K Xcountry, Nov 2010: 48:39

Brambleton Ribbon Run/Walk 5k, April 09, 2011

Bottle and Cork 5k Sept. 11, 2011 46:23:1 14:58 ? ??

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    2. Feb 11, 2011 5:37 AM (in response to SlimJD)

I started running in 2007 to lose weight, so far I have lost 60lbs. I have also lowered my bad cholesterol, raised my good cholesterol and lowered my blood pressure. I am currently training for my 4th full marathon and I have completed 4  half marathons.

I have started a blog dedicated to my journey from an overweight, out of shape couch potato to a marathon runner. I have included on by blog training programs from the couch to 5K and from the couch to a 10K.

I have a couple of blogs dedicated to "Penguins", which I am one and Treadmil training. When I run on the treadmil I usually have my IPod going and the TV on to break up the monotony.

Check out my blog and please leave any questions, critiques, suggestions and advice.

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    5. Feb 11, 2011 7:32 AM (in response to SlimJD)

I started to run again in Jauary of 2010.  Not a lot, but enough to start feeling a little better physically.  I was right where you are now.   When I started I was getting winded very quickly.  But after a few weeks - 2 minutes turned in to 5  and 5 turned into 10 and so on.  I'm still not anywhere close to where I want to be, but I'm still on the right path.  I've found that keeping a journal or something that you can share with others and reflect back on personally will really show you what you've accomplished.

• kaj215 Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 13, 2010
    6. Feb 12, 2011 9:59 AM (in response to SlimJD)

Glad you are looking to get active!

Running on a treadmill is really difficult.  I love to run, but absolutely HATE running on the "dreadmill".  I suggest trying outdoor runs.  Find a path/sidewalk and just run.  Maybe a park that has some trails.

Running outside takes your mind off of what you are doing while you look at the scenery.  Just run until you feel winded, walk a bit, and when you can, start running again.  I tend to run faster and longer when I don't pay attention to things on the treadmill like the time, the distance, my speed.

On the treadmill, you pick a speed that feels comfortable and run at that, but you don't always run a constant speed, which is what is nice about running outside.  You just do what feels natural.

If you are looking to lose weight, you may also want to consider doing weight/strength training.  In the end, it works better to keep the weight off because your muscles keep your metabolism high.

Good Luck!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Feb 12, 2011 4:41 PM (in response to SlimJD)

I started the c25k last year , I have lost weight and feel so much better now that I still continue to run 4 days a week. I was just like you and then I watched a show that really put me in motion to exercise and eat right. I haven't looked back! Good Luck

• CalicoGal Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 12, 2011
    8. Feb 12, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to SlimJD)

Hello!

I am glad to have found this forum. From what I have seen, this is the best place to look for and find answers to your running questions. I tried the couch to 5k a couple of times and never got past the 2nd week. However, This seems to be a very very sucessful training program here. I found my current program from the book " Getting Real About Running" by Gordon Bakoulis. The page number is 20. You run 1 minute and walk 4 for week one. After you take 30 seconds from the walking time and add it to the running segment, keeping the whole at 5 min per cycle. The only thing I am worried about is week 9 where there are no walk segments just a continuous 20 minutes. Week 8 is run 4:30 walk :30 so I guess its not a big leap, but its still scary. Anywho, Good Luck. I just finished week 2 so find what works for you. I am using a treadmill and hooked up my laptop so I can watch The Biggest Loser, I mean, I can run a measley 1:30 if they are dealing with super tough trainers and more weight to loss then me. Its worked for me so far ( It helps that Hulu is free too). The other thing that helps is knowing that I registered for a 5k in May, it really helps me keep focused and attentive to where I am heading. I made sure to put it several weeks after I finish my 9wk training so that if I have to repeat a week, I can, and also to get me used to running outside beforehand. Its a 5k pretty close to home but I think it is good for me to have a straight committed focus (which is what I have lacked in the past). Anywho, sorry to ramble, hope this helps.

CalicoGal

• Sandygunger Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 3, 2011
    9. Feb 12, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to SlimJD)

Good for you!!!!  I think the key to sticking with it is finding support from friends and family.  I've found that the online communities (active.com, facebook, twitter etc) have all been a great means for finding supportive friends to cheer me on.  Get some online buddies with the same or similar goals and hold each other accountable.  I've also enjoyed reading blogs of others that are training for a race.

Feel free to follow mine by clicking the link below.  I'd love another accountability partner!!

http://emptynestfitnessquest.blogspot.com/

Sandy Gunger

Follow me on my journey:
    http://emptynestfitnessquest.blogspot.com/

Scheduled Races 2011

4/10/11 - Raleigh Rocks
    4/30/33 - Angels Among Us
    September 2011 - I'm training for a 10K MUD RUN!!!!!

• Lostmonkeyboy Pro 86 posts since
    Nov 20, 2008
    14. Feb 13, 2011 11:00 AM (in response to SlimJD)

I understand being intimidated seeing other runners but we all run at different levels at majority of us starting out using the c25k program, when i first started into running i remember the day, i was off work so i decided you know what maybe this week i'll start into running, so i rode down to a local park, then went over to a tree and spent 3-4 minutes stretching and then started to run, 30 seconds later, lungs were burning, ankles were burning, feet were burning, i gave up and went home.  I thought i could never run, but the next week i found a c25k program and started into it, yes it hurt bad for a few weeks, i remember i could sleep right at night my knees and ankles were so sore but after i finished the c25k and ran a 5k race i was feeling better, when i first started i was 269 pounds and today i'm 170 and trying to get back to 165, i finished my first marathon last October and i'm going to run the LA Marathon next month.  When i was training for the 5k i kept thinking how can i ever manage to run 26 miles that's way to long but you'd be amazed at what your body can do, you just have to tell your mind you can do it.  If your anywhere near Long Beach, California i'd help you on your c25k program, i just finished helping my wife run a 5k program and now she is starting onto 10k.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points