Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

645158 Views 4,897 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2014 10:55 AM by jsimms435 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 ... 327 Previous Next
  • nowirun4fun Legend 208 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 10, 2011 8:27 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)
    Re: My last run was...how was yours?

My last run absolutely sucked.  It's a follow up to the one before that, which sucked even worse, and the one before that which was the run from hell.  Maybe the run in hell is a more appropriate description.

I've been so pissed off, discouraged, disappointed, and ready to throw in the towel on the whole damn thing.  I've been busting my *** all winter long, pushing it, upping mileage, improving pace, just feeling on top of the world, and decided to take a few days of well deserved rest to come back and step it up to make final preps for the racing season.  During that 3 days rest, everything I've been working for seems to have come unglued.  Yes, there's some new aches and pains that unexpectedly and unwantedly came out of nowhere.

Running really sucks when you don't get out of it what you expect you should.

So, I'm desparately trying to gather my senses, dust myself off, lick my wounds, and get back to the task at hand.  Anyone who's ever ran for any length of time has been here.  I plan on looking back at this point in time and feeling thankful and prideful that I didn't give up.  Only time will tell.

Run to win folks.  Never give up.

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    16. Feb 11, 2011 8:45 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

Wow!  Burn out is common with any competitive sport.  Don't worry, sometimes it's good to take a break and let your mind think about why you run and the body can take a much needed rest.

An elite marathoner once was asked after the Marathon when they will be begining training for the next one.  The elite marathoner said, when I forget about the one I just finished.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    17. Feb 12, 2011 8:13 AM (in response to nowirun4fun)

@irun2win - What is your goal?  Make sure you have a solid plan in place to reach that goal.  If you're unsure, pick up a good book for guidance, such as Daniels Running Formula (Jack Daniels) or Advanced Marathoning (Pete Pfitzinger).  Having a plan gives meaning to each workout and guides you toward reaching your goals.

Len

Len

Oct 22, 2010
    18. Feb 12, 2011 12:21 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Len - interesting question.  My goal? Actually, it is to train for and discover and be the best that I can be, whatever that is.  Sure, there's some milestones on the clock I'd like to hit, but that's really my goal.

I suit up each day, still convinced I haven't found that place yet.

I've found it to be a constant journey of adapting to my body, trying new things, a never ending googling for some new secret that may help this pain here, that pain there.  One thing is for sure, I can't get there without pushing myself through the here and now to reach the next level, and one thing that's hard to get used to is frequently that pushing through means something is gonna get broke, and the process of discouragement, downtime, healing is going to need to be revisited once again.  I suppose a key is to find a way to just accept and embrace that as a necessary part of the process rather than letting it get you down so far that you want to just throw in the towel on all the effort that you've put into it.  I've been hurt worse than this go round, but something about this outage really got to me.   Blame it on the weather.

I think I have a solid plan, but maybe I'll read up on those references, thanks.  I'm always open to learning.

So, what is/are your goal(s), Len, if you don't mind me asking?  You seem to be a very interesting knowledgable runner.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,333 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    19. Feb 12, 2011 12:46 PM (in response to nowirun4fun)

What I'd really like to do is run a sub-4 marathon.  I'm not sure it's a realistic goal (at age 63) but I'm going to try to work in that direction.  An intermediate goal is a sub-2 half-marathon, which I might get this year.  I ran faster 20 years ago, but life got in the way the last 10 years or so and my training and speed dropped off substantially.  I'll see how much I can get back.  A longer-term goal is to continue running for another 20 years.

Len

Len

• LMWEL Pro 82 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    20. Feb 12, 2011 3:16 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Hi everyone,  Lucie, great idea for a thread . I did manage to rest Wednesday and Thursday . Friday I ran a medium intensity 4 miles, good run. Today I ran an easy 2.5 mile trail run with my wife and son, really good run . Tomorrow, long run . Ten miles if the legs feel up to it . I'm hoping for a great run . The weather is supposed to be ideal . I'll let you know .

Marc,

The Monster Dash 5k . Halloween day - 26:08

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k . Thanksgiving day - 41:57

The Jolly Elf 5k Trail Run . Dec 11 - 26:09

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon . March 20, 2011- 1:53.13

The Triangle Orthopedic Sprint Triathlon . April 23, 2011- 1:21.53 / 5k- 25:48

The White Lake International Triathlon . Sept 10, 2011- 2:59.45 / 10k- 56:27

The Washington Half Iron Triathlon . Oct 29, 2011- 5:49.44 / 13.1mi- 2:09.23

The Tobacco Road Marathon . March 18, 2012- 4:37.56

Currently Training For -

Oct 22, 2010
    21. Feb 12, 2011 6:06 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

You're truly an inspiration Len.

Thanks for the advice.

• Galatians 22022 Amateur 8 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    24. Feb 13, 2011 9:08 AM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was fun.  I ran my first 5K.  This was a reward for the long marathon training process.

In 17 months my fitness levels have increased dramatically.  Before this, I was unable to go up 3 flights of stairs, without being out of breath.  Next Saturday, Lord willing, I will complete my first full marathon.

If I can do it, anyone can.

Celebrate even the smallest victories, keep running and God bless.

11-12-11     Thunder Road Half Marathon

02-18-12     Myrtle Beach Marathon

• Digler Amateur 16 posts since
    Feb 1, 2009
    25. Feb 13, 2011 1:24 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Last run was good. I did 13.1 yesterday (schedule called for 12) just to see how I might do in three weeks for the "real" event. Pulled a 2:06, even though I put the ridge from hell in the middle of the run, to make sure there was some decent suffering, so I'm not dissapointed.

Tuesday: my fastest 3.1 on record of 8:31 per mile.

Thursday: my slowest 3.1 in the past three years, of 10:17 per mile (thanks to six inches of snow on the ground)

I'm seemingly all over the place this week.

• 44Kristi Amateur 19 posts since
    Sep 2, 2010
    26. Feb 13, 2011 6:05 PM (in response to Run4Coffee)

Great!  Ran a Valentine's 5K with a few hundred other folks on one of the first tolerable weather weekends in months in my fair state of Minnesota.  Walked today, will resume running tomorrow.  Have a St. Patty's 5K in a month and am determined to get my 5K time below 30 minutes!

7/24/10      C25K Graduate

8/1/10        Brewhouse Triathalon Relay - 5 Mile Run

8/28/10      Baga Fest 5K

9/10/10      Greekfest 5K

10/31/10    Fearless 5K

11/7/10      World Run Day 5K

11/25/10    Thankful 5K

1/29/11      Securian Winter Carnival 5K

2/13/11      Hearts R Running Valentines 5K

3/13/11      St. Patrick's Day Healthy 5k

4/9/11        Challenge Obesity 5K

4/16/11      Run For Hunter 5K - Rock Bottom Brewery

6/19/11      Father's Day 5K Charities Challenge - That's 12 in 12!

*times vary.........some I am proud of some I am not.  But I finished every race and am faster than everyone sitting on their couch.             

Kristi

• LMWEL Pro 82 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    27. Feb 13, 2011 6:52 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

Long run Today ... Awesome, YES !  10 miles  . Here's the rundown . Erwin-Dunn Rail Trail, combed gravel, 5 miles long, relatively flat, sunny, 60 degrees (fahrenheit that is) and breezy .

I intended to run the length of the trail out and back at an easy pace . When I started, there was some minor pain in my left shin area . After about a mile the pain was gone . At about two miles the pain returned and continued to get worse . I began analyzing my gait trying to relieve the pain . At about three and a half miles I considered cutting my run short and turning around . I didn't . Before long, the pain started to subside . A strange thing happened when I started mile five . My legs started to seem as if they had a mind of their own . I felt as if they had found their own pace . Strange but fantastic . The rest of the run was nothing short of ideal . I can only hope I feel that good when I run the Half Marathon in five weeks .

Marc,

P.S. 1 hour 32 minutes 30 seconds . That's about 6 minutes faster than my last ten miles, which was also my first ten miles .

The Monster Dash 5k . Halloween day - 26:08

The Ridgewood Turkey Trot 8k . Thanksgiving day - 41:57

The Jolly Elf 5k Trail Run . Dec 11 - 26:09

The Tobacco Road Half Marathon . March 20, 2011- 1:53.13

The Triangle Orthopedic Sprint Triathlon . April 23, 2011- 1:21.53 / 5k- 25:48

The White Lake International Triathlon . Sept 10, 2011- 2:59.45 / 10k- 56:27

The Washington Half Iron Triathlon . Oct 29, 2011- 5:49.44 / 13.1mi- 2:09.23

The Tobacco Road Marathon . March 18, 2012- 4:37.56

Currently Training For -

• jusbecuz Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    28. Feb 13, 2011 6:40 PM (in response to LemonaidLucy)

My last run was interesting.  Although I have been running 5&10K's, I thought I would try the run/walk/run method for my long run.  My plan was to do this for 7 miles, but it didn't work out that way.  I did a run for 3 minutes and walk for one, and absolutely hated it.  I couldn't get into any type of rhythm, and it was harder than I had envisioned.  The problem was I didn't manage my pace, which is usually in the mid 11's.  I just ran where it felt comfortable for the time, then walked as fast as I could during the walks.  Amazingly enough, my run segments were in the 8-9mm range, which blew me away.  I only did this for 5 miles, as I got pretty tired with the increased pace, even with the walking.  I found out that I definitely don't want to run like this, but I think I found a great training tool for learning to increase my speed.  I had always kept my pace in the mid 11's for fear I wouldn't be able to finish, and I think I was actually prohibiting myself from getting faster.  I will definitely limit this to my shorter runs once a week, then try a run at a sustained faster pace and see how it goes.  I was always afraid to do any type of speed work, and came across this method quite by accident, it was a good day.

RUNNING DOES NOT BUILD CHARACTER, RUNNING REVEALS IT

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    29. Feb 14, 2011 1:26 AM (in response to LMWEL)

Wow what a running experience!  If you don't run with compression socks and keep them on for 30 mins after your run you should.   This will speed your recovery for the next run after the day rest from the long run day.  Your legs are feeling  like they have a mind of their own?  Mine do to after mile 3.  They get into a rhythm at my race pace speed and don't want to change unless there's a hill to go up and down on.  If I stop at because of stop light or even a water station during a race, it takes time to get back into that cruising mode.  I hate when that happens so I no long stop or walk at the water stations and I wish I could avoid the stop lights, but safety always first.

Compression socks during and 30 mins after the run

Ice after runs

Hydrate well before and during those long runs

Fuel (GU) to help keep the pace

Also, if you have a running watch with GPS you should try your 10 miler with out anything to set your benchmark run.  Then do those 4 things I mentioned and see how much your time and how good your body feels during, after and during and after the next runs.  You'll be amazed.

Roy

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...