Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1894 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2011 6:16 PM by Ghost Reaper RSS
Rotten1PA Rookie 3 posts since
Feb 2, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 14, 2011 11:10 AM

Will treadmill training hamper me during actual 5k?

Due to the hectic schedules within my household, I am only able to fit in a workout after hubby leaves for work and kids are in bed for the night.  This means I cannot leave the house.  I have been doing the Couch to 5K program on my treadmill.  Since the treadmill is pretty old - it only does an incline if I get off & screw the legs up higher manually - I'm curious if I should be adjusting any part of my "training" to prep me for the actual outside run.  It is winter time here and even if I could take the kids out for a run with me, there are not any safe areas nearby.  My actual 5K is not until April.  Can anyone tell me if I should be worried about my ability for an outside run versus my ability on the treadmill?

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 14, 2011 11:29 AM (in response to Rotten1PA)
    Re: Will treadmill training hamper me during actual 5k?

I usually find that I run a little faster on the treadmill than I do outdoors.

You definetely want to run outside a few times to give your body a chance to adjust to running outside, because it it different than running on the treadmill.

The first time you run outside, you will think you are going to die and then after you adjust you will do just fine.

I usually find running with an incline of 1 or 2 helps with the adjustment to running outside.

You did not mention the course is this a hilly course you may want to run with an incline of 3 or 4 instead of one or two to train.

I hope I have been of some help, running on the treadmill is not the same as running outside, but it is a great training tool and you need to run outside a few times before you race to allow your body to adjust to running outside.

I have started a blog dedicated to my journey from an overweight, out of shape couch potato to a marathon runner. I would appreciate any and all comments, suggestions, critiques, questions and constructive criticisms as my goal is to make this a really good runner's blog.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009

The treadmill is a great training tool, but it cannot be your only means of training.

If you've ever played a sport, than you've probably heard the quote "you practice like you play"...it's true.  Unless you are going to run your 5K on a treadmill, you will not be completely prepared.  There are alot of factors that can effect the way you run outdoors compared to a treadmill (wind, humidity, running surface, etc.).  You need to get out on the road and log some miles to really get a feel for what it's like.  Don't get me wrong, I think the treadmill is a good tool, it teaches you how certain paces feel, it gives you an alternative to dealing with winter weather, etc. but you have to hit the road at some point.  If your race is in April, you'll have plenty of time to get outside.

Good luck, I hope this helps and just get out there!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• Ghost Reaper Expert 41 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011

I agree with Runningman, but dang that is a horrible font to read.

I trained the better part of winter on a threadmill because I was working out of town and I didn't have the proper running atire.  Now I am having problems with the heat and other aspects of summer when running, which is some what a personal issue.

I ran my first 5K and I used the treadmill up to the week before.   My main recommendation is that a week or two before your race run at least a 5K outside and see how everything feels.  The real world, unlike a treadmill, is not perfectly flat and it took me a while to get use to the different road cambers.  By running the distance a head of time will give you a gauge as to how fast you can run and prove to yourself you can do it.    I also picked up a Garmin Forerunner 305 to track my speed, heart rate and other things since that was how I trained.  Not having he screen in front of me was really hard.

My Journey:

2/15/2011 My journey started at 270l lbs and the with little to no desire to ever run.

4/16/2011 Down over 15 lbs, one 5k under my belt and another coming fast. Maybe this running thing is for me.

4/23/2011 COMPLETED COUCH TO 5K -- By Fall I hope to run a 10K

5/05/2011 Down over 20 lbs. Come on baby keep on falling off.

7/14/2011 Started my 10K training

8/26/2011 Running 5mi and going strong to my 10K race.

9/8/2011 New 5K PR 00:30.45 Current 10K PR 1:07.19

9/15/2011 GRADUATE OF HAL HIGDON 10-K NOVICE TRAINING

9/26/2011 NEW 10K PR 0:58.48

Completed Races/Events:

Scheels Run for Home 5K - April 3rd, 2011 -- 37min 56 sec (12:13 pace) Sleet, Snow, Rain and towards the end Lightening. Air temp 36F FUN

Walk for Babies - March of Dimes April 16th, 2011

29th Annual Sole Burner 5K - May 7th, 2011 -- 34 min 15 sec (11:25 pace)

Oshkosh Dragon Boat Festival 10K -- September 24th, 2011 -- 59min 48secs (sub 10:00 pace)

Freak 5K - October 29th, 2011 -- 32mins 0 sec (damn cold)

Upcoming Races/Events:

Santa Scamper (1 Mile fun run)

Festival Food's Turkey Trot 5mi

Great 5-K, 10-K, Marathon Training Link to Hal Higdon:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points