Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5569 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2011 9:18 AM by jillz719 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
CalicoGal Amateur 9 posts since
Feb 12, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 12, 2011 7:32 PM

Who I am, Where I am at, and where I want to go

Hi all!

My name is Chris and this is not my first stab at trying a running program. I am 29 years old, female,5'6" and about 60lbs overweight. I start W3D1 on Monday Feb 14th, 2011. I have registered for a 5k in May, I am hoping this helps keep my motivation up. This is what I am following this time around:

wk1      run1/walk 4

wk2      r1:30/w3:30

wk3      r2/w3

wk4      r2:30/w2:30

wk5      r3/w2

wk6      r3:30/w1:30

wk7      r4/w1

wk8     r4:30/w:30s

wk9 r20 continuous

This is from the book "Getting Real about Running" by Gordon Bakoulis. I like that this has a good amount of walking, and its always in 5 minute cycles so its easy to keep track of. I had a hard time last week but that might be because I added alot of new elements like 1 pound ankle weights to my run sessions and Tae Bo during my rest days. Needless to say, My calves are killing me today from yesterdays workout. I am thinking about ditching the ankle weights and Tae Bo for right now, and doing something like yoga and some walking on my rest days. I am hoping this will keep me limber but not stressed. I have always wanted to a runner and feel like this is my chance to put everything together ( weight, eating habits, exercise) before my husband and I start our family. So, I will be at the 5/3 river bank run on May 14th doing the 5k. So far between the exercise and eating better I have lost 10lbs. I hope the trend continues. Also , I know it is a lofty goal, but I have been doing alot of reading and have decided to attempt a marathon in October. This is 5 months after my 5k. I am going off the book "The Non Runners Marathon Trainer" and is by(David Whitsett and others) a teacher  from the University of Northern Iowa. He and another both taught the class and at the end of 16 weeks each student had to enter the marathon. All of them completed it. I don't know if they still teach the class ( the book was printed in 1998) but it seemed like they planned to. Anywho, I ordered it and also the book "Marathoning for Mortals" by John Bingham. I have read a couple of his other books and like them.

Why in the world do I want to complete a marathon??

Because, I need to know. I need to know how strong I am, This might be my last shot at doing something awesomely physical, that is 100% me. I have always been afraid of anything physical, afraid of being hurt and I don't want to be afraid anymore. I am afraid of child birth. I am afraid of being a parent. I am afriad of committment on this grand a scale. so, I haven't registered for the marathon yet. I want to finish my 5k race and go from there. Maybe after the race I will decide that was enough and I am ok with myself, But I don't think so. I have always wanted to run a marathon and if this is my last shot for awhile, then I had better go out and work for it. In reality the 5k is just a short term deadline to encourage me to tough it out. I will let all of you know how things progress and how everything goes. I should get my books Monday.

Night ya'll

Chris (CalicoGal)

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Feb 12, 2011 7:39 PM (in response to CalicoGal)
    Re: Who I am, Where I am at, and where I want to go

Good Luck!

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    2. Feb 12, 2011 7:41 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Welcome - this is a good spot to come from for support, advice and motivation.  Keep us updated on your progress!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,390 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Feb 12, 2011 8:02 PM (in response to CalicoGal)

It sounds like you are making good progress.  The marathon is absolutely a realistic goal if that's what  you decide to do.  By all means ditch the ankle weights while running.  They just add too much stress to your already stressed legs to be worthwhile.  Cross-training on your non-running days is a good idea, whatever activity you choose.  You should try to take one (or more) complete rest day(s) each week.

Careful with those races though.  You may find you can't do just one!

Len

Len

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    5. Feb 13, 2011 3:07 PM (in response to CalicoGal)

Good Luck with your training!  Just know that you will face some mental roadblocks in the beginning of your training, and you will have to push yourself past them.  Don't allow yourself to give in to that feeling of "maybe I'll just take tonight off, and catch up later."  It never works.  Practice strict self-discipline, stick to the schedule, and you will totally rock!

Happy Running!!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    6. Feb 13, 2011 3:51 PM (in response to CalicoGal)

Good luck Chris!

I started running in 2007 to lose weight, I am currently training for my 4th full marathon. So far I have lost 60 pounds, lowered my bad cholesterol, raised my good cholesterol and lowered my blood pressure.

I have started a blog to document my journey from an overweight, out of shape, couch potato to a marathon runner.

I would appreciate any and all comments, critiques, suggestions, constructive criticisms, etc. because my goal is to make this a really good runner's blog.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    8. Feb 13, 2011 5:30 PM (in response to CalicoGal)

Good for you Chris. Keep putting one foot in front of the

other and you will achieve your goals.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    9. Feb 15, 2011 12:19 AM (in response to CalicoGal)

Way to go CalicoGal!  What a great goat to have!   Yes drop the ankle weights, your body will appreciate you for that. lol

I also dropped weight with this running passion of mine.  People are motivated to run for many different reasons.

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    12. Feb 18, 2011 6:21 AM (in response to CalicoGal)

Chris, good for you!  Every step you take is a win.

My advice, though, is to listen a little more to your legs, feet, and heart.  Sometimes, and I think you will know better when these are as you go along, it will be OK to step back, take a breather, and take it just a little easier on yourself.  As much as getting your legs and respiratory system in shape, you're becoming a better steward of your body and your WHOLE self.

There's no need to try to impose hard deadlines.  Your excercise and running will last all your life (which will be both longer and happier.)

Maybe, you'll find that a Half Marathon will work better for the fitness level you've achieved.  Maybe a 10K.  It's all good!  Wonderful, even.

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

• bahlg Amateur 13 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    13. Feb 18, 2011 7:39 AM (in response to CalicoGal)

hi Chris...

I just turned 40, just had my 3rd child a year ago...I weigh 193 lbs and I"m 5'7.  Pretty healthy but as a musician and avid TV fan..I sit..a lot.

Decided to do the Indy Mini in May...started with 1/2 marathons for dummies but couldn't do day 1. Now I am doing 2.5 miles in 39 minutes.  I am running about 5.5 mph, walking at 3...trying to run 1/2 of each quarter mile...it is so hard.  I haven't seen any weight loss which is frustrating.  I also really only have time during the week to do 40 minutes when my baby is napping. Night time is too hard with dinner and homework with the other two.  I do a cardio one day and at least one full rest day.

My neighbor was training with me but is so far ahead of me that she had to move on so I'm pretty much on my own.

I love your program but I just don't see how I can go another 30 seconds each week....

Elizabeth

• bahlg Amateur 13 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    14. Feb 19, 2011 7:08 AM (in response to CalicoGal)

I just did this today.  Was pleased to find I could jog for 3 straight minutes at 4.5 mph.  Then I waked between 3-3.2.  I know I have to get that walking speed up.  I went for 2 miles, so it ended up being about 32 minutes and I didn't do all the warm up walk.  Tomorrow is supposed to be my off day but I will have to take tuesday off so I think I will just keep going.

Does anyone do anything else on the other 4 days?  I had been walking 5, off 2 and one of the walk days I also did an easy 30 minute cardio with a friend at night.  I am hoping to complete a 5K on March 12th inside 45 minutes (that sounds silly to me knowing that everyone else will be done in 1/2 that) and a mini on May 7th.

BAhlg

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...