Skip navigation

44593 Views 209 Replies Latest reply: Feb 15, 2011 7:25 PM by cpweaver RSS Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next
  • mkayo1976 Amateur 7 posts since
    Jan 20, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    195. Apr 27, 2008 5:15 PM (in response to Alexandra945)
    Re: Plus Size Triathlete

So my sister & I drove 1.5 hours to Philadelphia to try on wetsuits at a place called Cadence Cycling.  There was limited selection of last years models, but the very nice lady helping us (Kate the triathlon guru), called one of her other customers (who is shorter & heaveir than me) to find out what kind of suit she had gotten.  I ended up trying on a men's Zoot suit.  Boy was that fun, like putting on the nylons from h***.  After some discussion with Kate I decided to wait to get one until I can try on an actual Blue Seventy.  They should be getting their full shipment in shortly.  In the meantime, I've gotten an extended rental from wetsuitrental.com.  The customer service there was great and able to help me with my size concerns.  The suit they sent is a 2XU brand model C:1 size xxl.  It's a men's suit but it fits great!  FYI I'm 5'7" and a size 18/20.  Kate at the cycling store also mentioned that even if you have to go for a taller size to fit the weight, if you own the suit, you can always trim the length back on the arms & legs as long as you don't go back too far and lose the extra snug material.

• Alexandra945 Amateur 33 posts since
    Dec 3, 2007
    196. Apr 27, 2008 5:49 PM (in response to mkayo1976)

Thank you so much for the post!  I'm also about 1.5 miles from Philly, in Central NJ.  I bought the Junonia tri suit that comes with a jacket.  Unfortunately, it doesn't give me the bouancy of a wetsuit, but hopefully, it will keep me warm enough to do the Black Bear race in cold water in June.

Would you keep us posted on how it works out for you after you get yours?

Alexandra

• PeggyG435 Rookie 3 posts since
    Apr 17, 2008
    197. Apr 28, 2008 9:05 AM (in response to sogr82cu)

Jayne Williams

AMAZING book!

www.slowfattriathlete.com

• Wendy Mello Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2007
    198. Apr 28, 2008 12:58 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

You won't find a lot of places that cater to us Athena athletes. Especially when I was heavier, I looked for tri suits that were two piece and that offered skirts for the run.

I, too, was afraid of the run. But you know what? You just do your best, the weight will slide off over time...and in two years you'll forget what it's like to shop only in the women's department.

My advice? Get a good bra, and get stuff that's comfortable- return it if it's not, or it will just collect dust in your drawer. This is not hte time to stretch your comfort zone. I swear by Under Armor and items that are durably built. When you're plunking down $50 for a sports bra, you want to stress test it before you leave the store.

I have brands that I love for various things from socks to shorts to bras, but it's something you need to keep just trying 'till you find what you like. I started out on ebay to save money, but I didn't know what brands fit me how and I spent a lot of money I didn't need to on cheap stuff. You might spend a little more up front for a well built item, but it is worth it and will last you several seasons.

Best of luck!!

• Nichol Davis Rookie 3 posts since
    Nov 3, 2007
    199. Apr 29, 2008 5:57 PM (in response to Wendy Mello)

I just got a catalog from terry bicycles and it has a decent section of plus size biking gear (up to 4x) and there are some really cute designs.  They have jerseys, shorts and skirts/wraps.

www.terrybicylces.com

Just wanted to share the info.

• BHaynes Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 21, 2007
    200. Apr 29, 2008 8:04 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

I thought I would add my two cents.  A year ago I weighed 350 lbs and could not stand for very long without having some severe back pain. This past weekend I just completed my first sprint triathlon. I have lost around 80 lbs and have been building up my base for the event since the end of last year. I didn't set any records for the race and wasn't sure I could complete it either but I did and it is a great feeling. The run was my biggest fear and I did the 5K in around 46 minutes. The best thing was as I was running, most every person a passed was giving me encouragement and it really helped. I saw this post because I am in the process of signing up for my next event in 3 weeks.

Don't be afraid of trying. Set a reasonable goal and you will be satisfied and motivated to keep working.

bhaynes

• hever63 Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 5, 2007
    201. Apr 30, 2008 11:15 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

I love reading these posts...I am not alone!!!!!!  I just completed my first sprint two weeks ago and my first marathon on Saturday.  I have to say that crossing the finish line at those events was the most amazing feeling I have ever had.  Last year, I weighed 255 lbs.  I now proudly weigh 180 lbs. I hope that continues to decrease, but I am more focused on being healthy.  I have never stuck with anything in my life that required any real physical work.  I am over that!!  It feels so good to know that I have it in me to do whatever I decide to do. 

Triathlon training is fun and rewarding.  I will admit it is more fun than marathon training, though the satisfaction is the same.  Just deciding to do either event was overwhelming. There's a quote that I now live by.."The miracle isn't that I finished.  The miracle is that I had the courage to start."  I truly believe that.  It doesn't matter where I finish, or really if I finish, so long as I give it everything I have. 

Kudos to all of us for having the courage to start.

Dec 3, 2007
    202. May 4, 2008 2:19 PM (in response to hever63)
    Is anyone using the Nike + iPod to track their mileage and time? Do you like it?  I just started running with one of the experienced triathletes at my gym and she used it to track our time and speed.  I love not having to map out your miles ahead of time becuase the iPod will keep track of it for you. I thought it might be fun to set up a Plus Sized Triathlete challenge on the Nike site.

Hope everyone's training is going well.  I have 26 days until my first triathlon.
    Alexandra  

Dec 3, 2007
    203. May 21, 2008 6:44 PM (in response to Alexandra945)

Anyone doing Black Bear on June 1?

Alexandra

• GraceBStrong Rookie 1 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    204. May 24, 2008 10:07 PM (in response to Nichol Davis)

Hi,

I'm an overweight (and older, too) "athlete" -- I got into sprint triathlons through a program that I think might help with your concerns about running.  Almost 18 months ago my local Fleet Feet store hosted a women-only beginning Run/Walk group.  It's GREAT!

There's even some evidence that people who do planned running with planned walk breaks - at regular intervals - finish the same or faster than they would if they ran the whole time (or, as in my case, ran until they were exhausted and then walked.... and then crawled...?)

Anyway, I really encourage you to look around for a group that does the run/walks.  If there isn't one, basically you start by walking 4 minutes and running 1 minute.  Easy, right?  You do it as many times as you can and then increase the number of times you do it.  Then go to 3.5 minutes walking and 1.5 minutes running, and extend the reps.  Etc. etc. 

This is based on a book by Jeff Galloway and I see that he has a website that explains his program lots better than I just did:  www.jeffgalloway.com

Anyway, I've lost more inches than weight, but that's okay.  Every pound of weight I've lost (10) has reduced the stress on my knees and they are soooooo happy!

I love reading everyone's posts - keep it up!!

Grace

• jason farrow Rookie 1 posts since
    May 16, 2008
    205. May 30, 2008 3:16 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

Long shot here that you would even log into the sire, but I'll try ya anyway.

You posted your comments and goals on this site back in '05. It was a lofty goal (losing 100lbs, doing a triathlon, etc.), but you were on your way back in '05!

It's '08 now-, sooohow ya doin? Food issues are tough, if you are still on track you are in the minority of individuals that can overcome lifelong habits. Congratulations!!

If not, I hope reading your old post and being reminded how positive and commited you were to reaching your goal will get you back on track.

Jason-San Diego

• tridez Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 5, 2008
    206. May 30, 2008 8:28 PM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

How are you doing? I too struggle with weight gain. It has been a few years and I was wondering what all you have done and if you are still tri'n! If you fell off the wagon, maybe this will help you get back up. Remember how good you feel when you complete a good work out. Keep it up!

Dec 3, 2007
    207. Jun 13, 2008 7:44 PM (in response to Nichol Davis)

I used a Terry skort for the Black Bear triathlon.  It worked very well.  I was initially a little concerned that the chamois pad would get waterlogged and be uncomfortable, but that did not happy.  The shorts underneath did not ride up on the bike and are long enough to prevent chafing on the run. I would definetely recommend them.. They are very comfortable, fit well and provide good coverage.

See you at the Philly Tri next week!

Alexandra

• bhoyos Rookie 5 posts since
    Jun 16, 2008
    208. Jun 19, 2008 10:44 AM (in response to BigGirlsTri)

I am a Clysdale and I was overweight as well and found that more time in the pool and on the bike helped incredibly with my weight management.  When I got into tri's two years ago, I was 25 lbs over weight and lost it all training for this sport.  Recently I found myself saddened due to the fact that I gained all the weight back and them some.  I have started using a supplement post morning work outs called Verve.  It is an organic energy drink and I also take another or one ounce shot of the nutritional supplement which Verve is made with.  You can see my posting in the Nutritional section.  This supplement is listed in the Physician Desk Reference and is safe and effective.   The page is www.myvemma.com

Hope this helps! Keep on Triing!

Good Luck to ya!

• cpweaver Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 13, 2008
    209. Feb 15, 2011 7:25 PM (in response to bhoyos)

anyone still active from these old post. check out www.lancastertriclub.com

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...