Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1892901 Views 11,335 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 9:16 AM by BreezyB24 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 399 400 401 402 403 ... 756 Previous Next
  • bmental Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    6,000. Feb 15, 2011 1:30 PM (in response to Wideguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

What's up everyone,

Just finished W4D1. On the last run I had a little calf pain. Very frustrating because of a previous calf injury. I thought it healed. It did go away and I was able to finish the run. I purposefully am going slow and my run pace is about 10 min/mile. Just don't know what to do...Hopefully W4D2 will be better.

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    6,001. Feb 16, 2011 7:37 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hey everybody, give this podcast episode a listen! I think this guy is a little harsh on the vegetarianism/veganism, although he seems to be saying that vegetarian/vegan folks just have to be more intelligent about getting all of the nutrients. Interesting listen for sure.. lots of other great information as well!

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/sports-nutrition-with-ben-greenfield-3/

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    6,002. Feb 16, 2011 10:08 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I ran 3.5 miles outside last night.

I am currently training for the Southern Indiana Classic in April, it will be my 4th full marathon, my goal is to complete the entire marathon without having to stop and walk.

I have a blog dedicated to my journey from an overweight out of shape couch potato to a marathon runner. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, critiques, questions and constructive criticisms. My goal is to make my goal a very good runner's blog, especially for those of us who started out at 200lbs +.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• Greg066 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jan 25, 2011
    6,003. Feb 16, 2011 11:24 AM (in response to Art Davis)

Hello everyone, still training for my first 5k here (not using C25k) and had a few questions on training.  So along with wanting to become a runner, I need to drop some serious lbs (17 down so far) and therefore I'm working out about 5 days a week and eating better.  I'm wondering if I'm doing myself a disservice if I'm always running for my daily workout.  I ask because I have this addiction right now to always wanting to improve my running. Any other exercise carries little interest to me and makes me want to stop early and then I don't get a good workout to burn calories.  Biking and rowing are dreadfully boring and the elliptical just feels awkward, but running on the indoor track feels good and I feel like I'm actually doing something unlike the bike etc.  I'm just wondering if I don't do cross training if it will hurt my overall training or if I'm ok to just go out each day and run at whatever pace my body feels like and for however long I can go for that day.  Thanks.

Race Times:

100% Irish For A Day 5k: 30:59

Get In Gear 10k: 58:08

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon:  10/15/2011

Current Long Distance 11 miles

Starting Weight: 325

Current Weight: 289

http://runningfromthemadness.blogspot.com

• MelissaGraham7 Legend 315 posts since
    Nov 2, 2010
    6,004. Feb 16, 2011 12:29 PM (in response to Greg066)

Greg066:  From what I have read ( and I have been devouring every running book I can lay my hands on), cross training is actually EXTREMELY important for a lot of reasons, from cardiovascular conditioning to muscle toning.  If you only run, I think what happens is that only those muscles that you use will build up, yet others will actually waste/atrophy.  This is not good at all.   LOL.   You will notice, I suspect, already that certain muscles are getting nice and tight - but you need the entire body to stay fit if you want to be in this for the long term, or you will actually be increasing your risk for injury.  So, you are doing yourself a disservice.   The other things may be boring, but you can spice them up.   I highly recommend "The Complete Book of Running" as it goes into a lot of detail about training, cross training and how to take care of your body.  There are a zillion books out, of course - but this one is pretty comprehensive and does address the importance of cross training.    If you keep the intensity up on the elliptical trainer (say 6 MPH or more) or cycling (over 90 RPM) you will be getting the same cardiovascular work out and it won't be boring.  Also, strength training, swimming, etc.   But, don't focus solely on running.   Just my 2 cents worth, but backed up in a lot of literature and not my original thoughts.  LOL.  

Keep up the great work, though!

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up!" Dean Karnazes

Equinoxalizer 5K 3/19/2011: Time 37:13; 2nd place in age group!

Dogwood 5K April 29, 2011: Time 36:15

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/18/2011: Time: 61 minutes 15 seconds

Mebane on the Move 10K 09/10/2011: Time 75 minutes 16 seconds; 1st in age group (oldest woman running!)

Valentine's Massacre Marathon Relay 2/12/2012: Team distance 26.2 my pace 12:02 my distance 8 miles

Fleet Feet 4-mile in Chapel Hill 4/22/2012: PR for 11:53 pace!! WOOOHOOO!

Run for the Haw 5K on 5/26/2012: PR for 11:50 pace and First in Age Group! First race in Skele-Toes (minimalist shoes)

Running of the Bulls 8K 6/02/2012:

Yellow Brick Road 5-Miler 07/14/2012:

Keep on running!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6,005. Feb 16, 2011 12:32 PM (in response to revgum)

Thanks, definately will listen to that. I walked 2 miles today and I did Jillian Michaels shred.

• LGruns Pro 89 posts since
    Jan 17, 2011
    6,006. Feb 16, 2011 2:38 PM (in response to Greg066)

Greg066:For me, any previous weight loss endeavors have focused on just that, weight loss. This time around, I am focusing on fitness goals, making sure I am working as efficiently as possible towards my primary goal--a 10k with no injuries and my secondary--weight loss. For me the C25K is working, because its a plan. Sometimes the runs are more uncomfortable than I would do if not directed to. I have also read anything I could get my hands on in trying to attain these goals. I agree that crosstraining is necessary. You need to be strengthening muscles in different ways to not only burn fat faster, but to help keep things like your knees tracking the right way to prevent knee soreness. Get yourself into a weights circuit training and pump that speed up on the bike--I know, not as fun, but try a couple times a week! There's even another argument for crosstraining, walking for instance. If you do your crosstraining at a lower intensity, still aerobic, you will teach your body to burn the stored energy in the body for fuel (otherwise known as fat) and not always go looking for the quick carb. I'm sure someone else on here has more knowledge about this.

Revgum: thanks, I'll try listening to that tonight!

Love to read what everyone's doing! Question for you all who have run races:How did you choose the first race to run in? Do you go back to it each year?

Lynne

• Jimmyangelino Pro 68 posts since
    Dec 27, 2010
    6,007. Feb 16, 2011 3:02 PM (in response to Wideguy)

C25K W8D2! I got to run outside again-- that may end soon as it is Feb and Nebraska can whip up a storm in seconds. I'm feeling good and really enjoying the runs! Thanks to all of you for the support!

Fat Jim heading towards Slim Jim

Started C25K 12/28/10---- finished 2/23/11!!

River Rat Marathon & Bike 5k 4/23/11 46 min.

17th Annual Beer and Bagel 4 mile off road 11/06/11 61 minutes

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6,008. Feb 16, 2011 5:35 PM (in response to Jimmyangelino)

Your almost ready to Graduate Jimmy!

• Chitozbaby Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    6,009. Feb 16, 2011 6:49 PM (in response to Greg066)

Greg-in the same boat here..Training for the Roadrunner Marathon in September annnd trying to lose weight. I lost 80lbs before I became pregnant with my son who is now 4. It's almost as if I forgot how I did it?! I have been really good about my meal plan (I had previously used a nutritionist so I have a lot of experience in knowing what/when to eat) and have been good about switching up the workouts from walking, jogging, elliptical, bike etc. BUT I still feel like I should be doing more.....I don't find the bike or anything else as exhilarating as running/jogging or even just plain old walking. I have been doing some light weightlifting as well just to mix things up. By the way...great blog! Keep up the great work!

• BigGarza Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 10, 2011
    6,010. Feb 16, 2011 7:17 PM (in response to LGruns)

LGruns - I know for me, choosing races is really just about timing and location. The first organized race I ran was only a Super Bowl Fun Run 10K, and I had already run the distance a few times so I was confident enough that I would finish. Turned out to be such a good time that I do it every year now. So far, this is the only one that I will go back to annually. As for the Half Marathons I have run, it's really just about timing to make sure that I can put in the training without having to worry about fighting the rainy season. I have run two so far with a third set for next month. At this point, I just like to run different races to see how they are set up. I am working towards a full marathon in June (still hesitant to actually sign up but should know in about 6 weeks), and I only chose that one because if I didn't, I would have to wait until October for another one in my area. I am not that avid of a runner where I would take a road trip to punish myself through a race. Good luck in whatever race you sign up for.

• rebrck Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 28, 2011
    6,011. Feb 16, 2011 8:15 PM (in response to bmental)

Good for you!!!  I just finished W4 D1 this morning!!!  I was worried and I thought the last minute would never end, but YEAH us!!!

I am in the same boat trying to lose weight... I have joined a kettle bell class and I own the Zumba DVD's which are so much fun!  I just have to start doing them at least twice a week!

Rebrck

rebrck

Current weight - 250 lbs - April 13th 2012

Goal weight - 140 lbs - Jan 1st 2013

• JKnow Expert 45 posts since
    Sep 14, 2010
    6,012. Feb 16, 2011 8:33 PM (in response to rebrck)

Rebrck, Great job pushing through W4 D1, I did W4D3 this morning. I had a tough time with it, my legs feel like stumps with cinder blocks for my feet. I will never take a month and a half away from running again, it feels tough trying to get back where I was at the end of November.

C25k Completed on 10-NOV-10

Veterans Day 5k 13-NOV-10 time 33:32

Turkey Trot 5k 25-NOV-10 time 33:18

Nike+ ID: jknow

• Greg066 Amateur 27 posts since
    Jan 25, 2011
    6,013. Feb 17, 2011 5:46 AM (in response to JKnow)

Ok, so I listened, and luckily last night happened to be the one night a week that my gym has a spin class at an evening hour.  I figured if biking was going to be interesting, spin class would be about the only way.  That was one very tough hour and my legs are very sore today (in a good way).  I know I got a good burn and hopefully my legs will get stronger and make my running better.  I think I may continue doing this week after week.

Race Times:

100% Irish For A Day 5k: 30:59

Get In Gear 10k: 58:08

Whistlestop 1/2 Marathon:  10/15/2011

Current Long Distance 11 miles

Starting Weight: 325

Current Weight: 289

http://runningfromthemadness.blogspot.com

• triagainathena Pro 68 posts since
    Jun 1, 2009
    6,014. Feb 17, 2011 6:23 AM (in response to Greg066)

I have found that because I'm still a beginner runner following an interval program that I don't get the kind of aerobic intensity running that I get from spinning or swimming.  Echoing what others have said, I've found that cross training works other muscle groups which can help prevent injury, and helps with conditioning.  Plus its nice to switch things up a bit. 

It was almost 50 degrees here last night (weather we wouldn't usually see until April).  I really enjoyed the run outside and it was a different experience running on bare pavement instead of the cushion that the snow cover offers.  W5D2 is in the bag!  I'm hoping the weather holds for the solid 20 min run that this weekend has instore.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...