Skip navigation

1499 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 16, 2011 9:19 PM by kapfast RSS
hotlegsrunner Rookie 3 posts since
Mar 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 16, 2011 3:26 PM

Decent Time for First Sprint Tri?

Hi guys! I just registered for my first sprint tri this June.  I have done 2 marathons and 2 aquathlons already.  But since I just got my roadie, I now started training for my very first triathlon.

My question is...what are the decent finish times for each (swim, bike run) for a first-timer? I am not really that time conscious (esp during my first race events) but I do like to challenge myself and the time will guide/help me with my training.

The sprint tri I signed up for - 1/2mile swim/6 mile bike/ 2 mile run. Would appreciate decent finish time for each.   Thank you

Running Blog: www.hotlegsrunner.com

Followe Me: www.twitter.com/HotlegsRunner

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    1. Feb 16, 2011 4:12 PM (in response to hotlegsrunner)
    Re: Decent Time for First Sprint Tri?

Welcome to tris! The best thing to do when figuring out times is to look at the event's website and previous years results. Even though conditions may be different (weather), hopefully the course hasn't changed. That way you can look at your age group and see the range of times and break-downs for each of the three legs. You should have a pretty good idea on how fast you run and swim from previous events and your training will show you how fast you can ride. A flat bike and run course will yield different times than hilly courses so it is hard to compare. A fast swimmer may do 1/2 mile in 11-12 minutes, the pack in 18-24. Bike ride from 16mph to over 20mph (so +/- 20 minutes), run 12 minutes (6 min/mile) or faster to 30 minutes (15 min/mile - brisk walk). Work on speed in transition as well (1-2 minutes)

That is really a short bike course at 6 miles and a little short on the run as well so speed and anaerobic capacity will be at a premium. Work on intervals!

Good luck and have fun!

BT

• kapfast Pro 53 posts since
    May 30, 2007
    2. Feb 16, 2011 9:19 PM (in response to hotlegsrunner)
    Re: Decent Time for First Sprint Tri?

Congrats on your first Tri !!!

BT is right on with the times, and working on intervals for the short race will definately help. One thing I would add is to include some brick workouts in your training - following up your bike training immediately with a run. This will help with your legs getting used to the transition from bike to run.

Not sure exactly where the "brick" term came from. I've heard two stories; one is they are called brick workouts because you are stacking you workouts like bricks, one on top of each other. The other reason I've heard is because your legs usually feel like bricks the first mile of a run after you have been biking.

Enjoy your first Tri, and GOOD LUCK!

http://trigratitude.blogspot.com/

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points