Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

939157 Views 4,715 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 132 133 134 135 136 ... 315 Previous Next
  • mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009

Hi DJ! Thank you!

I did enjoy the Mercedes HM! It was a smaller race with only about 5-6,000 people total. I was a little disappointed that there was no more crowd support than there was for this size event. I did a smaller event in Jan and there were bands everywhere, cheerleaders and just spectators lining the streets, but not so here. I will do the Mardi Gras RNR in New Orleans next year instead of the Mercedes!

There were about 20 people from my running club that did the RnR in NOLA! They all had a blast!

I have not done the St. Jude's before. I am only about 13 months into running so I am just now venturing into distance events. St. Jude's is a special place and I am really looking forward to doing this event in December. I am waiting patiently for the sign up to open around the end of April!

Congratulations on running the RnR New Orleans!!!! There is no other city in the world like New Orleans! :)

Kirk! So great that you and your daughter are going to run Nashville together! My daughter is beginning to run some so hopefully she will be running with me this time next year!

mimi

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Hi everyone,

I've been catching up on reading again.  Congratulations to all those who ran recently.  The tal of the RnR's make me jealous but the closest to me would be Phoenix next year.  that's about 6 1/2 hours away.  The others are way further.  Maybe one day.  But possibly next year I'll be ready for the Phoenix half.  Sounds like so much fun.

The temps have warmed up here too, into the upper 60's and low 70's during the day the past 4 or 5 days.  Sooooo nice after our record setting low temps like -9.  I'm so ready for spring.  The only problem here is that we get high winds in the spring for a couple of months.  Winds that cause so much dust that frequently roads out of town in a couple of directions get shut down in the afternoons because of blowing dust.  Mornings are usually much better though.  But then it will get hot in a few months and I'll be complaining about that instead of the cold.  Only really happy a few weeks in the spring and a few in the fall LOL!

I'm getting psyched and building up my walking and hopefully my running mileage for my 15 mile Bataan Death March Memorial on March 27th.  I'm an no where near to running that, but will walk and run a little of it.  If St. Jude's were near me I know that would be an inspiring event, and I would love to do that because of the kids.  Bataan is so inspiring to me because of the military personnel that are involved in it.  About 3/4 of the 5000 or so participants are military in uniform.  Last year it got me hooked because regardless of how I feel about decisions made one way or other at the highest levels, military personnel in general are heros to me.  I have a niece going into the Marines in July after her high school graduation, and my brother retired from the military about a year and a half ago after 20 years.  His other daughter wanted to go in too since she was about  13 but in high school developed Crohn's disease so wasn't able to.  She's graduates from college in a year.

So I'm working on the running and also working on building up my mileage walking again after not doing as far during the winter months.  THere is only so far I can go on a treadmill before I get totally bored.  Also, the treadmill is at the gym and they do have some time limits but they don't enforce it when it's not busy.  But trying to walk 15 miles on the treadmill would definitely be pushing it.  The limit is 30 minutes but if there are free machines, like middle of the afternoon, I have done 60 quite a few times.  But 3 hours or so would definitely be beyond what they might overlook LOL!

Love reading about how everyone is doing at the different stages as a runner.  I get inspired by the ones that can do the long distances and also encouraged by those like me who can't do near that yet and now I'm not alone.  Love being part of a group over 50 like me.  The end of this month I'll be 56, and until a year ago never even dreamed of running and although there have been some setbacks over the past year am so excited with my progress and being part of all of you.

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008

I ran St. Jude last year and it is a great race.

I agree St. Jude is a special place and Memphis is a fun city and they go all out in their support of the St. Jude Marathon.

I am currently training for my 4th full marathon the Southern Indiana Classic in April and next I have signed up for the Chicago Marathon in October, it will be my 5th full marathon and 1st World Major.

I am 52 years odl and I started running in 2007 to lose weight, so I am still pretty new to this running thing.

i started a blog to document my journey from an overweight, out of shape couch potato to a marathon runner.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• 728chuck Amateur 15 posts since
    Feb 4, 2011

I shaved 45 seconds off of my mile from the one I ran Friday. So I went from a really slow mile to a still pretty slow mile. Now I am trying how to figure out how to continue on into that 2nd mile. I am pretty much ready to stop after the 1st.

02/11/11 Ran my first mile outside 12:47

03/1/11 Ran the mile in 10:33

003/03/11 ran and walked 3.5 miles in about 45 minutes.

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

Chuck,

When you feel comfortable with the 1 mile distance just start adding on little by little.

Pretty soon you will be at 2 miles.

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31

Run for the Zoo 5K 6/03 19:57 PR

13.1 Chicago 6/09 1:50

North Shore Half 6/10 1:46

Rock 'n' Roll Chicago 7/22

Chicago Half 9/09

Fox Valley Marathon 9/16

Chicago Marathon 10/07

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010

Linda

"15 mile Bataan Death March15 mile Bataan Death in March"    Wow, that sounds  scary!!    Good luck. Hope you have a beautiful day to run.

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

Linda

"15 mile Bataan Death March15 mile Bataan Death in March"    Wow, that sounds  scary!!

Someone else on another board said the same thing.  It's a memorial march but not a reenactment.  We don't undergo those kind of conditions of the Bataan Death March.  There is a 15 mile and a full marathon distance on White Sands Missile Range in New Mexico.  The day before the event they've had survivors from the original death march give a talk about it for anyone who wants to come.  Last year there were only 3 survivors there because now they are in their upper 80's and 90's.  In a ceremony before the event starts they read off the names of those who have died during the past year.  They have the color guard and taps.  It is open to both military and civilian entrants.  Military can run individually or in teams of 5 and can run with or without a 35 lb pack.  The pack is weighed the day before the event and they ask them to fill the pack with things like dried beans, rice, non perishable stuff and then to donate it at the end of the event to the food bank in Las Cruces NM.  It's an awesome event.  They also have a category for wounded miitary and last year there was one guy with a hand operated bike, (the only time the bikes are allowed), a girl with a prosthetic running leg, a man who was on crutches with 2 prosthetic legs (they were wearing shorts) that I saw.  There was over 5000 participants from every state in the US, the US possessions, and a few other countries.  I just thought it was so inspiring to be a part of.  Lots of water and gatorade stations with fruit and definitely not the conditions of the original death march.  But a great reminder and a time to honor veterans of the original death march as well as all military men and women past and present.  They only give awards for the 2 fastest in the 26.2 event but it was still so much worth it.  There are runners and walkers.

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Cbmom, thanks for starting this thread and keeping us mighty masters motivated. We will miss your regular posts (already had been missing you!) Best wishes in whatever and wherever your road takes you.Rest assured we will keep the light on for you here at 50 and over.

I had a strange thing happen last night. Sitting in my recliner, laptop on lap, a searing pain shot down the top of my right knee and front of shin. I thought it was maybe a short in the computer or static electric shock, but today while on the stationary bike, I had the same thing happen. It wasn't as bad, but still bothered me a couple of times. It even tingled on top of my foot in one spot.

I walked 3.1 day before yesterday, ran 3.1 esterday. No problems w/ either.

Has anyone had this happen before?

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• MangoLuvr Laurie Pro 82 posts since
    Oct 3, 2010

I've never had that experience, Marie, but it sounds kind of like a pinched nerve or something?  Yikes!

Coolbikermom, will you be doing any local runs this spring?

Today is an unbelievable 75 degrees here in the Kansas City area.  I'm still pinching myself!  Haven't dragged myself out for a walk yet, but will shortly.  Gotta polish off a pitcher of banana smoothie first.  Warm, humid and windy - kind of a weird combo for the middle of February.  There's even a "heat index" of 77, lol.

I'm so glad I signed that "100 Days Challenge" certificate that someone mentioned on here.  It has kept me moving many a day that I otherwise wouldn't have done anything.  When I tell myself "I can do 30 min. in my sleep" and just get going, I invariably do more than 30 minutes.  It's brilliant!

Lost over 100 lbs. in 11 months in 2008-2009

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Big Sur International Marathon Power Walk Division 10.6-Miler 2:40:30  April 2010

Run For Isaiah 4.4k  38:30 Sept. 2010

Eyes on Aids 10k 77:40 Oct. 2, 2010

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Upcoming Challenges:

Hospital Hill HM June 4

• DJTucker Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2009

Kirk - you're times are great!  You have really shaved the time off!  I've ran 5 half marathons and have basically dropped 5 minutes with each.  New Orleans time was 2:05:36.  I'm not sure I can get much better - although I did have to stop off for a bathroom break (ugh!) and was coming to a complete stop at some of the water stops. So maybe I could have been at least a couple minutes better.  Breaking the 2 hour mark would be sweet!

I would love to meet any of you in Nashville maybe after the race if you are interested.  Hopefully, there won't be any big storms this year.

Art - 2009 was my St. Jude experience.  It seems like that one was a little more festive or maybe there were more bands.  When I came in to St. Jude park, there were two adults and two small children on my right.  One of the kids was wearing a surgical mask.  I'm not sure why but they were just in my plain view as I was coming through where the street splits.  The lady had tears streaming and she looked at me and said, "thank you so much - we love you."  I'll probably never forget that moment.   It's definitely one of my favorite causes.  Your pictures are great - by the way.  I would like to hear how you took the plunge for a full marathon.  I just don't know if I have it in me.

Does anybody wear Newtons??  I bought a pair at the expo Satureday and I'm not sure....... but then I have only ran one mile in them tonight.

Dec 2, 2010

DJ

"Does  anybody wear Newtons??  I bought a pair at the expo Satureday and I'm  not sure....... but then I have only ran one mile in them tonight."

I bought a pair of Newtons last Dec. After I ran the first time I was convinced they were right for me and I bought a second pair.  I bought them to help my transition to Natural/Chi/Pose running.

It has been a bitter sweet transition so far. I can get the technique for a while but as I change terrain or lose concentration I fall out of the form and have to work to get it back. During those times when I am following the form correctly, I run qicker with less effort than with the old technique, I can really tell that it is less effort and stress.

A big part of the technique is to relax. That is one of the things I find difficult. I have to think about it to do it and then the other things that go with the style may get lost.

The transition uses the bones, muscles and joints differently than the traditioal 70's style of heel striking and pushing off with the front of your foot.  It is that muscle memory of running the old way that I fall back on when I get tired or lose concentration. It is the use of muscles differently in new angles that makes for sore muscles or a bit worse.

I would not personally use Newtons if I was not trying to change styles. The lower heel and overall struture of the shoe is designed for the new minimalist techniques.  I will keep working at the transition and using the Newtons until I get it down right.

I don't like walking in the Newtons. I bought a pair of Nike Free Run + to walk in . They have a low heel  also and have helped build the muscles in my feet aiding the transition.

I bought the second pair of Newtons at Road Runer Sports. If you join their VIP club, you get 10% discount and free shipping  on most things.

Hope the info helps.

Jack

Jack

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Jack, have you tried running in the Nike Free? Curious as to how they contribute or detract from your form.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

Dec 2, 2010

Marie

The shoe it self is very comfortable for general wear and  walking. They are a different kind of shoe in that they fit more like a  slipper. You could remove the laces and there is elastic all around the  foot and over the arch to keep them in place.  I occationally get the  urge to wear them without socks,  but I am in the habit of wearing  socks.

I have jogged in them briefly during my walks but have not taken a run in them. The sole is very flexible and the shoe is very lite. That is the sensation I got during those jogs, like not a lot of shoe between me and the road.  I keep thinking I should try a slow run in them.  A few people try them to help transition to running bare foot. I can  see that they could be useful that way as they feel kind of like your feet are in  more touch with the ground you run on.

I play golf tomorrow and my next run is Saturday. I may use them if I can remembr and it feels right.  I have finaly learned  to go slower as I recover from a minor injury.  Yesterday I ran 2.5 miles at about 11 m/m. It felt so easy!  I can't wait for the leg to get to 100% so I can get back to going  longer distances.  I feel that I am learning more about running as I rehab.

J

Jack

• KIRK_T Legend 279 posts since
    Jun 25, 2010

I run in the New Balance 801 which are designed for midfoot strike runners. They are offered in Men's & Women's styles.

One thing I like about them is they are very light weight. That was also my daughters first observation when she got her first pair.

Kirk: Started running again at 50.

2010: 4-5K 1-3.5 mile 2-Half Marathon

2011: 3-5K 1-3.5 mile 1-8K 1-10 mile 16-Half Marathon 1-Marathon

Rock 'n' Roll Arizona Marathon 01/15/2012 3:28:33 PR & BQ

F^3 Lake Half Marathon 01/28/2012 1:48:34

Shamrock Shuffle 8K 03/25 43:29

Chi Town Half 4/01 1:57

Illinois Marathon 4/28 3:56

Wisconsin Marathon 5/05 3:56

Lake Geneva Marathon 5/12 3:56

Rockford Marathon 5/20 4:08

Soldier Field 10 Mile 5/26 1:31