Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7798 Views 19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2011 5:48 PM by PaintingLady RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,332 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Feb 18, 2011 6:11 PM (in response to Marykb)
    Re: Tried Jeff Galloway Running Method

Marykb wrote:

. . .  So maybe these folks are happier doing the run/walk thing because they enjoy running faster and don't mind the payoff of taking walk breaks.  Other people like myself figure "slow and steady wins the race".

But I will freely admit that some of these people who stick to me like glue for the entire race end up beating me.  There are definitely some merits to the methods if that is your thing!

Mary, I have used run/walk in a couple of marathons.  It is, quite simply, a less stressful way to go the distance.  It isn't about running faster with a walk break payoff.  Ha! I sound like a convert but I'm not.  Like so many things in running it's not for everybody.  Mentally, I want to run as much of the race as possible, and I've never used (or found the need to use) the technique in shorter races.  In my case, I used it to try to work out some other issues, stomach problems most recently.

Len

Len

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    16. Feb 19, 2011 7:27 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Mary, I'm about to head out for a long run using run/walk/run. I'll be smiling, thinking about you the whole way!

• Emily B Johnson Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    17. Feb 19, 2011 9:43 AM (in response to jusbecuz)

I have recently adopted the run/walk/run method due to an injury.  I am not totally sold on it as a permanent running/ racing style but I am loving the benefit of being able to actually run on a regular basis. I actually used the Jeff Galloway training program for my half marathon last fall only without the walk breaks.  After my Thanksgiving runs I began to have some soreness in my knee which I believe to be caused by ITBS.  It pretty much benched me for several weeks.  After a couple weeks of rest I would go for a run and be sore and limping around for the next three or four days and then take another two or three weeks off just to repeat the same cycle.  I found some stretches and excercises to help with the tibial band tightness and I was getting really antsy from the lack of running until it dawned on me to take walk breaks!!!  It was kind of like a DUH! moment.  I started out with a 1:1 ratio and have gradually built up to 2:1.  Next week I am changing it up again.  I am hoping to be at a four minute walk and a 30 second run for my 10k next month. I never really liked the walk break part, I guess I felt like I was cheating myself.  Surprisingly, I am hitting around the same pace that I was when running continuously and sometimes faster.  I am able to run three days a week now with little to no pain.  Hopefully I can bump it up to four days but I don't want to push it. Three days is better than none.  I have seen run/walkers in races but haven't been bothered by them.  I am interested to see how it will affect my performance in a race.  I am mostly worried about getting in someone's way when I stop to walk.  During my half a woman stopped directly in front of me and bent over to touch her toes for a stretch.  I couldn't believe she didn't have enough consideration for other runners to step off course two feet and stretch! I don't really plan on 'pacing' off someone but I can see how the yo-yo effect could occur unintentionally and hopefully I won't end up annoying anyone.  My plan is to run the timed interval up to a certain point where I feel I can just kick it in to finish as I usually end up skipping the last walk break on my regular runs.

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009
    18. Feb 20, 2011 11:26 AM (in response to Emily B Johnson)

I had ordered an interval timer from Galloways site last year and didn't really use it much until the last month. I used it for a 4 mile race last weekend and again this morning for a 4 mile run...I think I love it!! Last weekend I set it for 9:1 and hit the 1st mile marker in 10 minutes which is fast for me and then I slowed down for the remaining miles to average 13mm pace. This morning I set it for 8:1 and that felt wonderful, perfect for today's run. I have struggled with getting my long runs built back up since September and I think (finally) utilizing this method will be successful..Ordered a Garmin so waiting for that to arrive and I'm looking forward to using it for intervals.

I ran a 10k last year and there were 3 women using the run/walk method...we kept changing places till the last mile when they smoked me!! I don't think we were intentionally "pacing" off each other I think our pace was similar that's all!!

I'm finding I can go faster using this method so I think since it works for me I'll keep doing it!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    19. Feb 20, 2011 5:48 PM (in response to susanbarron)

I did 5 miles today, my longest run since returning to running after my injury. I ran a mile and walked .2. intervals.  It felt good, was able to maintain a good form and breathing pattern.  I'll use it on my long runs to build my endurance base. Week day runs, I'll run continuously.

If the method helps someone accomplish their goals of running any distance, then who can condem, But every runner, walker or mixer of the two, needes to be considerate of other participants around them.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...