Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2594 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 20, 2011 7:41 PM by Joseph Tree RSS
tombrett Rookie 6 posts since
Feb 13, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 18, 2011 3:55 PM

Help with shin pain

Hello everyone,

I am finished with week one of the c25k program.....I am 245 pounds at 5'10....I havent been active for a long time due to different mediacations ive been on as well as having two brain surgeries in the last 3 years....I have just recently quit smoking and I am starting this program because I want to be a runner lol! I have made it through the whole week as recommended, but I am having a real problem with shin pain during the run part of the walk run....everything else feels fine....breathing,thighs,back etc....its just the shin pain is killing me....I am currently running in a pair of Nike Dart7 shoes that I bought at a retail store a while back (little to no wear on them).....My question is.....is the shin pain just bacause I am very out of shape? Could it possibly be my shoes? I have a pretty high arch with kind of thin feet...size 11.....would getting a new pair of shoes at a running store benefit me? Or would I just be throwing my money away and eventually I will get some relief. Thanks in advance!

• jusbecuz Amateur 32 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    1. Feb 18, 2011 4:55 PM (in response to tombrett)
    Re: Help with shin pain

Congratulations on starting your program!  I think the most important investment you can make in this sport is your shoes.  Having the wrong shoes can cause all sorts of ailments and problems.  I would certainly recommend going to a running store and find out what type of shoe you need.  I definitely wouldn't look at it as throwing your money away, more so as a necessary tool in ensuring your success.  Good luck.

RUNNING DOES NOT BUILD CHARACTER, RUNNING REVEALS IT

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    2. Feb 18, 2011 4:54 PM (in response to tombrett)

I started running in 2007 to lose weight and so far I have lost 60lbs. I had to work my way through Shin Splints when I first started running, here is what is most effective: Rest, Ice, Massage. Shin Splints are typically caused by doing to much to fast, so when you start back running start out slow and gradually work your way back up.

Typically a good pair of running shoes is going to cost close to $100.I am currently wearing the Asics GT2160, I run marathons, if your goal is 5K's you could get by on a less expensive pair and do just fine. You need to find the pair of shoes that works best for you, not every foot is the same.

I am currenty training for my 4th full marathon and I have started a blog dedicated to my journey from an over weight, out of shape, couch potato to a marathon runner. I have a recent post on Shin Splints, that goes into greater detail and I have an earlier post that discusses the three main different styles of running shoes.

I would appreciate any and all comments, questions, critiques, suggestions and constructive criticisms as my goal is to make my blog a really good runner's blog.

Art

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• ActiveWatches Dave Legend 207 posts since
    Apr 13, 2010
    3. Feb 19, 2011 9:27 AM (in response to Art Davis)

Based on what you're telling us, it could be a combination of both getting back in shape and your shoes.  You shins do go through a transition period, just like every other part of your body, when you first start working out.  With that said, I amplify what others have said: 1) increase your workouts gradually, 2) make sure you rest and ice, and 3) go down to your local running store to get the right pair of shoes that will help avoid shinsplits.

Good luck!

ActiveWatches.com - The Place for Sports Watches

blog.png  facebook.png  twitter.png

• Kinver88 Pro 80 posts since
    Oct 2, 2010
    4. Feb 19, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to tombrett)

HI buddy, Just wanted to say congratulations on becoming a runner! If we can just get your shin splints sorted out then I am sure that you will have many years of happy running ahead of you!

All of the above advice is great. If your shin splints dont clear up with the right pair of running shoes, icing afer runs and gradually building up the distance then there are a few other things that you can try. You can try wrapping a hot towel around your shins for five minutes prior to starting a run as sometimes that can help. Failing everything you can have a set of custom insoles made that should help drastically but they will cost quite a bit of money and take time to order and wear in.

Hope that helps - good luck with the running!

Goals:
    UK IronMan 2011 (Bolton)
  • flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    6. Feb 19, 2011 5:02 PM (in response to tombrett)

Congrats on getting out there.  Having shoes that fit your style will help a lot. When I first got back into it I just picked a pair of shoes that used Nike+.  Ended up causing me a lot of pain as I really needed motion control shoes.  Now the only time I really have pain is when I try to over due it.

• postalsteve Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 19, 2011
    7. Feb 19, 2011 6:40 PM (in response to tombrett)

A little of both- starting running and proper footwear absolutely plays a factor in shin splints,even with the right shoe you may need new insoles my orthopedic doc told me that those dr. scholls machines you see at walmart are very accurate, I tried it and sprung $40 for a pair they feel great. when I went back to him he said it was the same prescription he would have given me. Rice- rest,ice,compression,elevation will help. when starting running you must start out slow, even runners who have been running a log time gradually increase mileage and if you feel pain it's okay to back off a bit till you body adjusts soreness is fine and expected, but running in alot of pain can set you back if not careful. if your legs are not keeping up with your cardio try bike riding or elliptical as a nice way of cross training. make it a habit to stretch before and after runs. one thing that helped me was to strengthen shins by laying flat on a couch and hanging a bookbag from big toe over the end and doing toe raisers-fill the bag with proper weight and rotate both feet. you will get there it takes time and patience, good and bad days but the important thing is that you are out there. Congratulations!!!!

• Joseph Tree Legend 378 posts since
    Oct 22, 2010
    8. Feb 20, 2011 7:41 PM (in response to tombrett)

I concur with some of the above (avoid TMTS, build up slowly, RICE!) and disagree pretty much with the whole shoe industry - but won't try convert you to the dark side.  I will suggest that you look to your form:  you can save yourself a lot of the pounding the shoes and orthotics are supposed to protect you from (but don't, actually) by adjusting your form to incorporate a higher cadence (more steps per minute) a shorter stride, a mid to forefoot landing for your foot (called "strike") and a more upright, conscious posture.

Read up on Chi running and Pose method running and even (God forbid) barefoot running to learn more about running without hurting yourself.

Good luck!  Run well!

Barefoot / Minimalist Runner

...not maintaining this these days..

07/29/2012 Marsh Creek Raptor Run 10 Mile Trail Race

07/15/2012 Quadzilla 15K Trail Run, Trexlertown, PA 1:37 (2011, 1:49)

04/29/2012 Lehigh Valley / St. Luke's HM, 1:43:15 (2011, 1:54:20 )

03/19/2012 Kutztown Fool's Run 10 Miler, 1:18:15 (2011, 1:30:20)

02/26/2012 Ugly Mudder 7.2 Mile Trail Run, Reading, PA 1:20

11/27/2011 Dirty Bird 15K Trail Run, Birdsboro, PA 1:40

10/08/2011 Lehigh Gap Nature Center 10K Trail Run (6.38 miles), 59:20 (10/07/2012)

Started running (again) May 5, 2010

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...