Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3861 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2011 2:21 PM by TreesArunner Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • PerformanceCoachingLLC Amateur 39 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011

I usually run facing traffic but that doesn't mean it's safe. Any time we are on a road I figure most drivers think they own it and are looking at me and saying, "crazy runner, get off the road. It's for cars!"

Always assume they don't see you even if you have eye contact.  I have been hit twice by cars. Once while cycling, with traffic (car made a right turn in front of me without signaling). The second time I was running on a sidewalk, traveling in the same direct of traffic.  I was crossing a street in a crosswalk where there was a stop sign for the car.  A car coming down the hill ran the stop sign.  Funny note was that man, about 80 was taking his wife to the eye doctor!

Both of these put me out of commission for quite a while.  Proceed with caution at all intersections!

Look both ways, then look again.

• JasonFitz1 Legend 575 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009

Running against traffic is preferred so you can see the cars coming at you. With that said, you should always switch sides so you're not always running on the same camber (road slope). With the slope, you're left leg is landing a bit lower than your right, That's an injury waiting to happen.

If possible, get on the sidewalk to avoid cars altogether. Find a high school with some athletic fields to do laps. Run a mile or so on a high school track during your run. Run a loop in a large parking lot somewhere. Drive to a park or trail system where you can run with no cars at all. There are a lot of options to get off the road and avoid traffic. Be careful!

- Fitz.

Strength Running
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points