Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

901155 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 116 117 118 119 120 ... 297 Previous Next
  • Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,755. Feb 19, 2011 1:52 PM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I made it a little over 20 miles training for the Southern Indiana Classic Marathon in April. I ran straight through until 8 miles and then switched over to alternating between running and walking.

How is everbody else doing with their running?

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• gakate Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 12, 2011
    1,756. Feb 19, 2011 2:05 PM (in response to ManuelRun)

Manuel - I've only just finished week 3 of c25k today - it's inspiring to hear that you are able to run 20min at week6!  

My 15yr old cotton t-shirts are not cutting it anymore.  Does anyone have a favorite, cheap, women's, dry-weave type shirt?  Shorts? Running bra?    Our costco had 2 Champion compression type sports bras for $20 and they seem fine - but they are my first sports bras, so I don't have anything to compare them to : )  I also bought a few 5$ Danskin shirts at W-M today, but the fit is way too tight for my comfort. I have 4yr old twins and my tummy is still a bit out of proportion.  Those 'slimming' fit shirts just look silly on me!

I had to alter the cool runnings c25k plan a bit for my shins, so I'm only doing the walk/run intervals on Tues/Sat and filling in the other run day with biking or elliptical.  So far, that is working although I imagine, I'll need to start repeating weeks as the runs get longer.   I want to add a little strength training, but I'm intimidated by the weight room.  The 'Running for Mortals' book has several things that I may be able to do at home instead.

I know it's only been 3wks - but I really love this new lifestyle!  I've only lost one single lb, but it's something.

A truly gorgeous weekend in Alabama - hope it's warming up wherever you all are as well!

Kate

• Dini A Amateur 18 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    1,757. Feb 19, 2011 7:27 PM (in response to gakate)

Go to Marshalls you will get all type of running gear there CHEAP! I got my sports bras there too..I have the adidas adibase but cannot fing the model I got last year so now im on a quest to find a couple more..you can get your shorts, pants, running skirts when they come out in early spring there too..I like to wear those for my races because they have a pocket..but otherwise I live in my compression shorts that I got at sports auth. for $12 (brand: Aspire) the held up well thru my marathon training this past summer..I do wear a fuel belt so I have the added pouch for the gels, phone, etc..

Apr 26, 2009
    1,758. Feb 19, 2011 7:32 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

way to jasmine..Yahoo indeed..It is indeed a great feeling!

Im to get 14 miles in tomorrow but its going to snow/sleet in the CHI area tomorrow..Ugh so done with this winter ..hope to get the miles in in the afternoon..

Good night all will post if I did run!! keep you rfingers crossed!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,759. Feb 19, 2011 7:36 PM (in response to Dini A)

What kind of fuel belt do you have? I purchase the 2 bottle pink Helium belt from ebay for $12.99! 

• gem66 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,760. Feb 19, 2011 8:23 PM (in response to Donna914)

I am totally a penguin too folks. I haven't run in 6 months and will be starting in a week. I need a week to psyche myself up. It is still WINTER here up in Canada, so my runs will most likely be indoors for awhile. Last year I purchased the 4 bottle fuel belt and it was great for my liking. Looking forward to visiting with you all! Happy running!

Kate, you are going about it the right way. The first time I did the C25K, I had to repeat some weeks. Also in the end, I became a run/walker, and I plan to do the same again. I was able to run for 8 months injury-free!

• emtkim94 Amateur 8 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,761. Feb 19, 2011 8:22 PM (in response to gakate)

First of all, GOOD FOR YOU!!!! You are moving and that is a step forward in the right direction.  As for clothing I do understand your dilemma.  I went to a ladies foot locker and hit the clearance rack.  I was able to get a couple of nice tops that were quite inexpensive.  I also shop at outlet malls here in the north but not sure where to go in Alabama.  I think Burke's would be my first stop though if you have one close to you.  They always seem to have some nice workout wear.  I wore loose fitting capris with elastic waste for the first 8 months of my running until I felt more comfortable.  Today I went outside for the first time this year to run.  I have been on the treadmill all winter since we have gotten so much snow that it has been difficult to run safe outside.  To say the least I probably looked hilarious with my under armor tights, running shorts over those, a long sleeve wicking t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt with a headband to cover my ears.  Not one piece of clothing matched...lol  I wore sunglasses also in hopes that no one would recognize me.

But I did finish and felt wonderful when I was done.  Keep running and keep trying, before long all of your worries will be gone.

Kim

• gem66 Pro 96 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,762. Feb 19, 2011 8:26 PM (in response to emtkim94)

Kim I know what you mean. I never cared what I wore outside to run last year. I figured as long as I had my hat and shades on that no one would recognize me!!!

• urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    1,763. Feb 19, 2011 8:48 PM (in response to Dini A)

You can sometimes find great running items at Goodwill! I got a long sleeved tech shirt for $4. You have to look through some junk, but you can sometimes find some bargains.

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,764. Feb 19, 2011 11:27 PM (in response to urun2me)

My apologies if this has been asked before - Does anyone have a Garmin Forerunner 305, and if so, what do you think of it?  Is it complicated to set up and to figure out how to use?  Can you use it in the water for swimming?

• HueyLewis Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    1,765. Feb 20, 2011 2:08 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hello there SloMo2 i have a garmin forerunner 305 and i love it its pretty easy to use and the pace feature really helped me out. At the races i go to (5k & 10k)  i see a lot of runners using them i got mine as a present so not sure what they cost but if you want to get better at running this will help you out.. I dont know about swimming but you can use it out in the rain

• mightymite1110 Amateur 33 posts since
    Jul 29, 2009
    1,766. Feb 20, 2011 4:26 AM (in response to SloMo2)

Hi there,

I have a Garmin 305.  Although, I haven't used it for it's full functionality, it is easy to use.  I am able to track my speed and how many miles.  I'm still learning how to use it, but for what I need, it does the trick.  This is not waterproof.  I bought mine from Amazon.com for about $150 (including shipping).  I think you can get it on ebay for a little less.

It's not waterproof.  I think that model is the Garmin 310XT.  This one was around $400.  I've heard great things about it, so depending on what you need.  You can see the difference in the price.

• patrick.shields Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 4, 2009
    1,767. Feb 20, 2011 6:04 AM (in response to Donna914)

I could very well be the definition of a penguin. I think it is because I have embraced the fact that I am one which is why I have taken to marathons. Running 26.2 miles - or any distance for that matter - at between 12 and 14 minutes per miles suites me just fine. The scenery on some of the courses I've been on have been to nice to run any faster - even if I could. In May, I am going to attempt complete my first ultra up in Rochester. I am going to be running a 12 hour race and hope to run 50 miles - which comes out to - I believe - 14.24 pace. Certainly doable for this penguin. And remember - what matterss, isn't that you finished, it's that you started.

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    1,768. Feb 20, 2011 6:23 AM (in response to SloMo2)

I have a garmin 305 I really like it. I did a post regarding it on blog not long ago.

It is easy to set up easy to use.

The one glitch is they put the points of contact on the back of the unit, so they get sweaty when you run. I clean them after every run so that it will charge properly and synch with my computer.

I do not think it is recommended to take it swimming.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

Apr 26, 2009
    1,769. Feb 20, 2011 7:50 AM (in response to flamomof3)

I have the original 4 bottle 6oz and 8oz fuel belt and the 2 bottle fuel belt. I bought an extra pouch that goes onto my belt from one of the pre race expos that I attended and I stuff my Roctane and gum and phone etc into it..I want to try a camel pack this year it holds a lot of stuff too but not the water one that the bikers use just the bag..

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...