Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

857343 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 117 118 119 120 121 ... 297 Previous Next
  • Dini A Amateur 18 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,770. Feb 20, 2011 7:55 AM (in response to patrick.shields)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

woohoo!! good for you..I liove the longer runs too. Dont do 5ks at all did one in the deadof CHI winter and other than the beauty of the lake throught the snow did not much care for it! so will stick to my halfs and fulls!! Maybe we shall meet someday!!

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    1,771. Feb 20, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to gem66)

Gem!

Welcome back to running & and welcome to this awesome group....SO happy to have ya!!!

Anybody using Nike+iPod - PLEASE add me to your list betsyblythe@yahoo.com

Betsy

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,772. Feb 20, 2011 9:25 AM (in response to betsyblythe)

Alarm didn't get me up to do my long run outside so I ran my treadmill for an hour this morning. I will do an other hour this evening.

• patrick.shields Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 4, 2009
    1,773. Feb 20, 2011 1:09 PM (in response to Art Davis)

I just past theone month mark of my training for my first ultra-marathon. Today was the third time I ran for at least an hour and a half - made it out for 1:45. Now if only I can do that about ten more times come May.

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,774. Feb 20, 2011 4:16 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Had a nice run this morning down by the river.  Ran for about 1 hr 15 min -- well, actually I ran most of it and then decided to walk the last part just because the morning was so beautiful.  About 40 deg and sunny -- the daffodils are coming out and everything looked so fresh and green.  That's unusual here in Sacramento -- most of the year everything is crispy and golden.  The fishermen were out looking for steelhead trout -- made me want to get my rod and join them.  What a nice start to the day.

I've been really irritated with myself because I just can't get myself to run continuously.  This morning brought on an epiphany -- I don't have to run continuously -- I can just embrace what my body wants to do and do run/walk intervals!  Yay breakthrough.  So I sent away for Jeff Galloway's book and an interval timer.  Let's see if it works.

One foot in front of the other -- it all sounds so simple.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    1,775. Feb 20, 2011 4:26 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi Penguins!!!  Okay, so now I want a Garmin 305 after hearing from everybody how much they like them!...Good day for me today...we had the weather week from hell in my part of the country...horrible dirt winds at the first part of the week, very strong, I had to wear safety glasses to go outside to feed my horses!! .and I saw a huge piece of sheet metal blowing by from who knows where, scary...then snow came in Wednesday and power outages constantly...two days without power...lucky to have a generator.  I could still hook up the treadmill and got my workouts in but would much rather be outside.  I work long days Thurs. and Fri. so got lots of steps in at work cuz we were so busy...So today went out in the snow (I'm not gonna use the weather as an excuse anymore), ran in the agriculture field across from my house...the snow was only a couple of inches deep and then got deeper at certain parts but it was still powdery...kind of like running in the dry sand on the beach, worked my quads a little!  Prior to my run I did my 15 min. of stretches, got the kinks out of my back...I pushed to 4.2 miles on my run, I have only two months to be ready for a 10k and I was determined to get at least 4 mi. in once a week so I was very happy that I got to my goal today. Did a 15 min. yoga workout when I got back from my run to relax and stretch..It's been years since I've done 4 miles...it feels so good to be running again!  Love it!  My style with my jogs has always been to just keep plodding...I settle into a good rhythm at about 1 mile and if I stop, or start walking I lose my momentum, so I just keep jogging and don't slow down...my body doesn't deal well with slowing down and walking...I think it's a mental thing...if I just settle into a good pace I just keep going.  I will try to increase my pace once I get acclimated to doing the 4 mil. runs. I have my training plans down on my calendar for each week and I'm trying to stick to it! I got a 'Penguin' shirt the other day from onemoremile.com and love it, it's comfy...will check out the tips re: where to find some good running togs...will check out Marshalls!  Found out there's a duathlon planned for June in my town so getting the bike in shape and planning to do it...3 mi. run and 12 mi. mountain bike...very doable for me.  Love this thread and keep on waddling everybody!!!! Hey,anybody have fave shoes?...I love my 'New Balance' cuz I have a wider foot and they seem to fit well...any favorites that anyone is partial to?

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

• betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    1,776. Feb 20, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Retiredgirl,

So envious - we are stilll buried under a few feet of snow!  Took the day off - 2 in a row - battleing the flu - YUCK!

If you have an iPod, I find Podrunner Intervals (free) a fun training tool!

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

• runsinmiddleofnowhere Amateur 36 posts since
    Feb 15, 2009
    1,777. Feb 20, 2011 4:39 PM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Hi retiredgirl61, I'm originally from Fair Oaks...so I remember the early Springs and the flowers are blooming long before they are up here!  I remember the steelhead jumping at the American River at the Natomas Dam.....Hopefully my hubby and I can re-locate soon to a warmer climate and I won't have to run in the snow!!  Your run this morning sounded wonderful.

Completed:

Spring into Action 5k, 3-20-11, Sparks, NV

Rock 'n River Marathon, 10k, 5-1-11, Reno, NV

Paiute Meadows 8k Trail Run, 5-21-11, Susanville, CA

Bizz Johnson 10k, 10-9-11, Susanville, CA

Right now just run for the 'zen' of it.....

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

For those interested in the Garmin 305, check out KirkT's post and graph on this thread http://community.active.com/thread/86903/50-and-over-5k-and-beyond-what-are-your-challenges/2025/0

pg 136. I thought all the info it gives you was very impressive. I'm gonna order one from Amazon. $129

I had a great 5 mi run today, my longest since I've been back to running. Interspersed 3 brief walk breaks and finished w/ energy.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    1,779. Feb 20, 2011 7:39 PM (in response to Dini A)

I bought a GoLite women's Hydroswift for my trail running, after the snow melts.  I need to carry an Epi-Pen and allergy medication everywhere I go, and this has enough room for both, plus a LaraBar or two

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

Apr 26, 2009

my fav is the brooks adrenaline 11..OMG totally comfy and built for punishment!!! love it!

Apr 26, 2009
    1,781. Feb 20, 2011 7:48 PM (in response to mythic)

Does the Golite hydroswift carry water too? and if so how much and where is the pocket on this..I really should just look up a pic of this on the web but figured since I have you  I can just ask.. does it bounce around when you run? if it has a waist belt will it get in the way of my bib belt? sorry waaaay too many questions right?

• mythic Pro 103 posts since
    Aug 16, 2010
    1,782. Feb 20, 2011 11:20 PM (in response to Dini A)

Dini A wrote:

Does the Golite hydroswift carry water too? and if so how much and where is the pocket on this..I really should just look up a pic of this on the web but figured since I have you  I can just ask.. does it bounce around when you run? if it has a waist belt will it get in the way of my bib belt? sorry waaaay too many questions right?

I got it for Christmas so I've not yet had a chance to test it out on the trail, but here is a pic of it:

hydroswift_sunsmoke_womens.jpg

There's a women's and men's specific fit--so make sure you order the right one.  Their sales-pitch boasts a 'no-bounce load control system.'  I believe the HydroSwift pictured above is a previous-year model, and it looks like they are still selling it for 50% off at mpgear.com as of this writing.

It has two 21-oz water bottles (which I'll definitely need in the summer months here on the trails), the back compartment and two side mesh pockets.

They also make other models with larger/smaller compartment pockets for the lumbar packs.

Nathan Sports also makes some nice packs/vests.

I have a Nathan Quickdraw Plus that I take for shorter runs around town.

Hope that helps!

C25K Graduate 10-30-10

"Do it now. You become successful the moment

you start moving toward a worthwhile goal."

~Samuel Johnson

• Liprippa Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 29, 2010
    1,783. Feb 21, 2011 5:36 AM (in response to Donna914)

Sorry I haven't been on much lately.  Focused on a few different things between work, training, family, etc.

However, I have big news I would like to share........

I just completed my first Duathlon.  2 Mile Run / 16 Mile Bike / 2 Mile Run in 1:56:05

I also have completed my C25K 2/15/11.

Next race saturday Cowtown 5K.

Attachments:
  • flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,784. Feb 21, 2011 6:11 AM (in response to Liprippa)

Congratulations!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...