Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

14117 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Apr 8, 2012 12:18 AM by leonb33 RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
Bimma Amateur 25 posts since
Dec 15, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 29, 2010 9:37 AM

Best earbuds for running?

I really enjoy running with music in my ears. It helps me focus on my fun a little more. Lately, I've been having some issues with my headphones falling out of my ears and the music just stopping. After about the 3rd mile, they will start to get a little fuzzy or the music will completely stop (it's connected to my iPhone). Also, I start to sweat a bit once I get going and my earbuds won't stay in my ears. I'm currently just running with some iPhone headphones, which are probably the worst. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone else was having these issues and would you be able to recommend some earbuds for running? Help me, help me please. It's probably really trivial, but it's so annoying.

Bimma

http://claimyourjourney.com

2011 Race Schedule:

Dirty Soles 5 Miler | Mandeville, LA (1/15) - 32:11, 23rd Overall, 1st in my age group (25-29)

Head Hunter | Baton Rouge, LA 10k (3/19)

Hell's Hills | Ruston, LA 10k (6/4)

Battle Field | Jackson, LA 5mi (10/15)

• Surfing_Vol Legend 848 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    1. Dec 29, 2010 3:17 PM (in response to Bimma)
    Re: Best earbuds for running?

Yes.  Buy a pair of Sennheiser headphones that loop around the back of the head.  They even have a reflective element in back.  Here's the pair that I run in (and have owned for more than a year, which tells me that they are durable):  http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PMX80-ECO-Friendly-Headphone/dp/B001IKKDL2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1293664566&sr=8-10

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

"Victory through attrition!"

Charleston Half-Marathon 1/15/2011 -- 1:52:03

The Scream! Half-Marathon 7/16/2011 -- 1:56:00

• RunningErika Expert 39 posts since
    Nov 4, 2009
    3. Dec 30, 2010 5:03 AM (in response to Bimma)

I prefer the earphones with the headband. The earbuds always fell out of my ears when I was running. I am currently using the Sony MDR-AS35 Stereo Headphones. They work great. http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchCatalog?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&in_dim_search=&keyword=MDR-as35

Erika

www.running5kraces.com

Nov 6, 2007
    4. Dec 30, 2010 7:09 AM (in response to Bimma)

Bimma wrote:

Thanks for getting back to me! I definitely checked out the link and read a few of the reviews. Some are saying that one of the headphones went out. Have you had any issues with that? Also, I also came across these http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Twist-Stereo-Sport-Headphones/dp/B000FJEYZS - I like that the headphones aren't connected to eachother. What do you think?

I'm on my second pair of "headband" Sennheisers and have had many other brands of headphones.  I've had intermittent loss only when the headphones were soaking wet, suggesting a short.  The prior pair of Sennheiser headband headphones "died" when I crushed them.

I bought my first headband Sennheisers after buying a pair of the Twists.  The Twists have good sound quality, and will stay in your ear.  I bought the headband model after I lost the little rubber pieces that held the Twist's buds in my ear.  

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    6. Feb 1, 2011 6:57 PM (in response to Bimma)

I have the same problem, and it bugs me to death.  It totally throws my run off when I'm stopping in the middle to pick up my earbuds, or re-adjust.  So, I've started using earbuds with headbands.  They don't have to look like the clunky old-school.  Nike has a pair that are really sleek, and comfortable.  You should check them out.

Good Luck & Happy Running!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • run4jaci Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    7. Feb 1, 2011 7:51 PM (in response to Bimma)

I love my JVC Marshmallow ear buds. They are pretty inexpensive and they stay in my ears just fine. I got mine at walmart!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/JVC-Marshmallow-Stereo-Headphones-HA-FX34S-Assorted-Colors/9135484

• RiggzSD Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 12, 2008
    8. Feb 19, 2011 2:47 PM (in response to Bimma)

I have the same issue with most earbuds.  For some reason they tend to fall out my ears when running.

I found these Phillips/Nike over-the-ear buds at a CVS and they worked great:http://www.amazon.com/Philips-SHJ026-27-Earhook-Headphones/dp/B001GXQSP6/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_2.

They're not the best sounding earphones in the world but they stay on throughout all my runs and at $12 are a great deal.

Great music helps provide the energy for my runs!  I get my music from RockMyRun.com

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    9. Feb 21, 2011 12:24 AM (in response to Bimma)

I have some cheapie 'skull candy' sony ones I got from Target probably for about 8 or 9 bucks. They come with various sizes of earbud 'pieces' so if the smaller ones don't stay in your ears, you can swap them for the larger ones. I haven't had any problem with them thus far, and to keep them from twisting or whatever I usually thread the cord down my shirt and then back up and thru the sleeve of whatever I'm wearing and plug it into my music player. I make sure I regularly charge the player so it never goes down under 50% power. As far as I know, it will play for at least 8 hours straight, but I'd rather not let it run out of juice when I still have several miles to run to get home lol. I think it would be nice to get wireless ones, does anybody know of such a thing? Something like a bluetooth but two of them?

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Angelique Simpson Pro 92 posts since
    Mar 24, 2009
    10. Feb 21, 2011 5:02 AM (in response to Bimma)

I used to run with the earbuds that came with my iPhone, but recently I switched to a pair that came with my iPod shuffle. What a difference! You would think they are the same thing, but really they are not, at least not mine. When running with the iPhone ones I would have to adjust, take out and wipe off, etc constantly. Since changing to the ones that came with my shuffle I NEVER have to adjust them. I've since tossed the ones from the iPhone since I never used them for anything other than running anyways and stick with the ones that came with my shuffle.

~Angelique

------------------------------------------

http://acupofrunning.blogspot.com/

Race History
    5K - Apr 2009: 39:00
    5K - Jun 2009: 36:55
    5K - Sep 2009: 34:06
    10K - Oct 2009: 1:13:45
    5K - Nov 2009: 34:23
    5K - Feb 2010: 32:28
    Half Marathon - Apr 2010: 2:39:06
    5K - May 2010: 29:49
    10K - Jun 2010: 1:01:48

5K - Aug 2010: 27:57

Half Marathon - Oct 2010: 2:12:18

10K - Nov 2010: 52:44 (PR)

5K - Feb 2011: 23:45

Half Marathon - Apr 2011: 1:49:18

Marathon - May 2011: 3:56:05

Half Marathon - Oct 2011: 1:49:14 (PR)

5K - Nov 2011: 22:20 (PR)

Marathon - Dec 2011: 3:41:42 (PR)

Nov 6, 2007
    11. Feb 21, 2011 5:29 AM (in response to Angelique Simpson)

Don't buy the Sennheiser / Adidas ear buds, which use "wings" to "hold" the earbuds in place.  The sound quality is really good, but they don't stay in your ears.

Presentation1.jpg

Surfing Vol

• anijh Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 12, 2011
    12. Feb 21, 2011 5:38 AM (in response to Bimma)

I run with a pair of Apple In-Ear headphones (with Remote and Mic).  They work fine and stay in my ears for the entire run.  I replaced the rubber tips/earbuds with comply foam tips for more comfort.

*** They're not the same earbuds that come with the iPods and iPhones.

• Clayviation Rookie 5 posts since
    Jan 22, 2011
    13. Mar 10, 2011 9:31 AM (in response to Bimma)

I have had the same problem with headphones getting in the way.  I have literally a bin full of headphones that I have tried that either have crapped out on me or didn't fit comfortably.  Recently, I found my solution.  Rocketfish Bluetooth Headphones. They pair up effortlessly with an iPhone and I just learned that they make a bluetooth transmitter for any other non-bluetooth ipods.  I really did my homework on these and have absolutely loved them from day one.  Normal iPod earphones wont even stay in my ear when I am sitting still - I am truly baffled at how people run with them.  These Rocketfish headphones stay on my head no matter what I am doing and are so comfortable.  You can even take a call on them and the mic quality is superior.  Controls on the headphones themselves offer the ability to activate voice command, adjust volume and skip tracks.  Running with them is such a free feeling, almost like the woods just have a big sound system all around me.  They hold a great charge, and only need charging every week or so.  I happened to run the battery down on my last run since I just hadn't charged them in weeks, but I opted to just keep them on rather than taking them off because I have just grown accustomed to them being a part of me when I run, plus they help keep the wind out of my ears.  They are on sale right now at Best Buy for 49.99.  My first concern before I bought them was that they are over the ear style (read: not in ear buds - click the link to see what I mean).  I figured the sweat wouldn't be good for the.  But that hasn't been a problem at all.  As a matter of fact, I found a great solution for any headphone storage in regards to moisture.  I just wipe off the headphones when I am done and then put them in a tupperware bin that is just slightly larger than the headphones.  This helps keep them safe in my gym bag.  But to help with moisture, I put an Uncle Ben's Boil-In-Bag of rice in the bin.  It is just a plastic bag of rice with little holes in it.  I thought of it after my wife had to put her iPhone in rice overnight to remove moisture from dropping it in the tub.  Before I started using the rice bag, I noticed a little fog/condensation on the inside of the bin after storing the headphones in it due to the sweat that you can't wipe off and the fact that it is sealed in a container.  After the rice, there is no fog and the headphones are dry as a whistle.  The biggest plus of all of it:  NO CORD!!!!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Mar 17, 2011 7:39 PM (in response to Clayviation)

I can't wear earbuds so I got a pair that rest on the neck and go over the ear. I have had these for 7 months and no problems, I think they were around $10

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...