Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3756 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2011 4:18 PM by SteveBikeRun RSS
flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
Jan 18, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Feb 15, 2011 10:48 AM

Biggest Obstacle

This board has been a great source of inspiration.  There are a lot of new and experienced runners that post great advice and encouragement.  As a newer runner, I've had my share of setbacks (Overuse injuries, loss of motivation).  So I thought we could start a thread about the biggest obstacle you've faced when running and how you were able to overcome it.  I think hearing that others have gone through the same thing and came out on top will give an added boost to those who need it.

Sorry if this is a dumb idea.  Popped into my head while I was eating lunch.

• ColoCorredor Pro 97 posts since
    Dec 14, 2010
    1. Feb 15, 2011 7:49 PM (in response to flyzippio)
    Re: Biggest Obstacle

Not a dumb idea at all!  I like it alot :-)

My #1 obstacle in running is loss of motivation, for sure.  Especially after training and completing a big race.  I often feel burned out afterwards, and find it hard to keep up with my running routine.  So, I usually give myself a short break after completing a big event, and start back by tapering back my runs to a more comfortable and enoyable distance a couple of times a week.  The next thing I do is find a running partner.  The best weapon for fighting the loss of motivation is by surrounding yourself with other runners.  Join a group, grab a buddy, or even run on the treadmill in the gym during their busiest time.  There is a great power in doing things in groups, and other people can work magic at holding you accountable, encouraging you to push through the pain, and to keep going :-)

I hope this helps, and I can't wait to see the other responses!

Believe you can do it. Think no other way but “Yes you can.”
    The human body is capable of considerably more physical endurance than most of us realize!!
  • Basscycle Legend 236 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Feb 15, 2011 8:41 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Shin splints. They kept me off of the roads for darn near 16 years. I made the mistake of stopping running when I got married and regretted it within a few months. Since then, every single attempt to get back into it has been met with a quick and nasty case of shin splints. I tried stretching, icing, shoes, inserts, etc... and absolutely nothing helped, until I found this forum and found out about the evils of a pronounced heelstrike. I tried a few different things, picked up a book on ChiRunning and, the more I've implemented some of the principals, the more the pain left until it was completely gone. I recently upped my mileage and started some speedwork and I feel the beginnings of injury but it's nothing to worry about....yet.

My blog: RunningMyMouthOff.com

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    3. Feb 15, 2011 9:18 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Don't know if it's my biggest obstacle ever, but it's one that I have to deal with right now.  This past weekend I went on a ski vacation to Colorado with some friends.  I had never been there, only having skied in CA, so this was gonna be fun.  I told myself that after this weekend I can concentrate on training for some events the end of March, a 10K and a 5K the same weekend!!  Well, on day two of my vacation I found myself going down a hill with moguls and it didn't turn out pretty.  Took a big spill and what I think was a pop may have been the sound of the ski hitting the snow as I was tumbling.  Fortunately no broken bones but my left calf was crying in agony and soon after my left hamstring followed suit.  So I think I have pulled those muscles.  I was able to get down to the closest lift which took me to the bottom of the hill. I have been icing the muscles and trying to massage it the past couple of days but it hasn't improved much.  And with the muscles affecting my walking, my left knee has started to complain and is now aching a bit too.  I am back home now so I can at least go back to my daily routine at work and home and let the leg rest some more.  It also helps that it is supposed to rain here the next few days so I will not be tempted to go running or even walking.  Any ways I know this will not be my latest setback but I sure hope that it heals quickly.  The forum here helps me out as I hope it helps you out as well, in sharing of ideas and stories and helping build each other up. 

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• Run4Coffee Pro 143 posts since
    Feb 1, 2011
    4. Feb 15, 2011 9:31 PM (in response to flyzippio)

I'm new to running, only been doing it for almost a year now.  My biggest obstacle at the beginning of my year was shin splits, endurance and pain from an ankle injury that happened 15 years ago.  Today my biggest obstacle is adrenaline and anxiety.  When I ran my first 1/2 M last October (my first race ever) I really didn't know what to expect.  I ran the half with two other friends who have been running a long time.  I think it was their 7th or 8th half and they have run full M's as well.  I didn't train with them, I mostly just trained solo and read online and adopted Hal Higdon's Beginner for the half.  I remember back in high school my sister was a track star.  She took State in many events but I played baseball instead of track since they were in the same season.  The track coach was my advisory teacher and he asked me to run with the guys 1 milers.  It was the first time I felt adrenaline and anxiety at the beginning of a race.  In baseball, I felt that when I pitched on a full count.  Do or die... My heart started racing and my competitiveness kicks in.  Anyway I won that 1 mile race with a 5:05 mile at age 17.

Now at age 46 my biggest obstacle is not going too fast too quick.  I have to learn how to pace myself so I really depend on my GPS watch to slow me down and keep me in check.

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    5. Feb 16, 2011 6:23 AM (in response to flyzippio)

My biggest (or ONLY obstacle) is not lack of motivation.  I truly love to run and want to run as much as possible.  Now that isn't to say I don't have days when I don't feel like it, which can be true of anything we do on a regular basis, but I would never willingly stop running!

My only obstacle is the physical aspect, particularly my knees.  I think bum knees is about the most boring subject on the planet and I have little patience with it in myself or anyone else (sorry if you are one of those folks!)  But there it is - my only obstacle to blissful, endless running!

How have I overcome it?  Well I'm still working on that.  Reduced mileage, supplemental workouts to strengthen my quads, glucosamine supplements.  All those things are helping and I'm looking forward to gradually getting back to my regular mileage and race schedule......

• runningangelinvt Pro 137 posts since
    Dec 7, 2010
    6. Feb 16, 2011 10:09 AM (in response to Marykb)

My biggest obstacle is going on right now. I started the C25K program back in November and I am still finding myself repeating W5. It's not that it is tough but somehow I have managed to let excuses take over. I was running outside 3 days a week then it got really really cold and I went on the treadmill. I was so gungho about doing this program and now its like bleh. I am in need of a swift kick in the pants I think. I am trying to make it to the gym 3 days a week for strength training and the use of the treadmill. I should probably find a running group. Maybe that is what I need. Thank you for creating this message board and for letting me vent about myself

Kerry

Life is too short not to waddle......

2012 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 6/10/12

Finish time- 1:38:23

Colchester Triathlon 7/29/12 (Kayak 2mi, Bike 12mi, Run 3.1mi)

Finish time- 2hrs 38min 04sec (Will never do the kayak part again!)

2011 Events:

Crowley Brothers Memorial 10k Road Race 06/12/2011 Finish time:10k event 1 hour 39 minutes 40 seconds

Colchester Triathlon 07/31/2011 2hr 24 min (not my best ever! but I finished)

Started C25K 12/15/10

• ALatteCrazy Pro 105 posts since
    Feb 6, 2011
    7. Feb 20, 2011 11:37 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Mine would have to be lack or loss of motivation, or a general attitude of people around me that isn't conducive to my goal of running. Sometimes it isn't even a TRUE loss of motivation, I'm just lazy and I don't want to get up and go. I really don't have any other obstacles in the way of running for fun, or training, but oddly enough the idea of racing both excites me and makes me nervous. I push and PR during my training runs, but I'm sure I'll run harder in the races. I'm concerned I may almost kill myself... I do want to run better in my races than even my best training runs. I guess we shall see!

Blogging and keeping track of my training has been a bit of a godsend, along with giving and getting input from other runners.

ALatteCrazy

Ontario Mills 10K Jan 21st 2012 - 49:32 3rd place women (PR)

ARMC 5K March 10th 2012 - 23:02 1st place AG women (PR)

SoCal Ragnar April 19-20 2012 Huntington Beach to Coronado Island - 24.5 miles total, 8:30 avg

RoC Race Del Mar May 19th 2012 38:28 8th for div

Fontana Days Half Marathon - June 2nd 2012 - 1:37 PR!!!! (1:48 in 2011)

Wasastchback Ragnar June 15-16th 2012 Logan to Park City UT - TBA!

Mojave Narrows Half - June 30th 2012 - TBA!

Rockin the Desert Mud run - August 25th 2012 - TBA!

Red Rock Relay - Sept 7-8th 2012 - Brian's Head to Zion UT - TBA!

St George Marathon - Oct 6th 2012

Las Vegas Ragnar - Nov 9-10th 2012

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    8. Feb 21, 2011 10:49 AM (in response to flyzippio)

The biggest obstacle I had to overcome as a runner was in 2009 I went straight from one injury to another.

I almost gave up on marathon running, thinking that maybe it was just to much for me.

I lost a few more pounds and got a little smarter with my training. I came back to run the Evansville 1/2 marathon in October of 2010 and then the St. Jude Memphis Full Marathon in December of 2010. I am now training for my 4th full marathon in April the Southern Indiana Classic.

I have started a blog dedicated to my jouney from an overweight, out of shape couch potato to a marathon runner.

I would appreciate any and all comments, critiques, suggestions, questions and constructive criticisms as my goal is to make my blog a really good runner's blog.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• Allbustedup Amateur 17 posts since
    Feb 20, 2011
    9. Feb 21, 2011 12:01 PM (in response to flyzippio)

My biggest obstacle is the fact that i'm new to running and i stink at it. I really do enjoy running around the track at the ymca and cant wait to run outside. But I'm bull headed and going as fast as you can as hard as you can and being new to it gets you nowhere in a hurry.

Deads: 445

Squat: 365lbs

Bench: 305

Shoulder Shrugs: 495

2 mile run: 16:13

4 mile run: 36:33

CARPE DIEM!

• chisoxdogwalker Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    10. Feb 21, 2011 12:26 PM (in response to flyzippio)

I'm very new to running, as a matter of fact, I'm still in the jogging stage.  My biggest obstacle right now is the lovely Chicago weather.  I'm a dog walker, so the cold doesn't bother me at all.  It's the ice and snow that I'm having issues with.  I've fallen several times and really messed up my knees so I'm paranoid about training in this weather.  I have these cleat-type things I put over my shoes for when I'm walking the dogs, but they're not the most comfortable things to wear any longer than I have to.  Last week we had a little taste of Spring and it was perfect for jogging.  I no longer have my treadmill and am trying to save money by skipping buying a gym membership.  I'm kinda thinking I should just focus on toning on days like these, but I'm so motivated to move it outside!  Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

• Kristy in NC Pro 134 posts since
    Feb 14, 2011
    11. Feb 21, 2011 4:09 PM (in response to flyzippio)

Hmmmm - my biggest obstacle....

Well, I'd like to say the knee overuse injury I had and the multiple times I've been sick this winter (I'm an ED nurse and work in a swamp of all illnesses).  I'd also like to say it's my lazy streak, or my loss of motivation or being SO out of shape.  But if I get real, it's my head.  I don't believe I can really be a runner.  I want to be.  I'm trying to be.  But every time I finish on the treadmill, I'm amazed.  I find myself saying "OMG, I cant do this" as I'm running, especially as I start out.  When I finally have hit my stride, hold my head up and FEEL like a runner, I find my self talk turning to "I can do this, I can do this" in amazement.  I'm very slow, and in the infantile stages of running (well, walking more than running), but dang I want to be a runner - even a slow runner.  Just gotta watch the head talk

Kristy in NC

Kristy in NC

3/12/11 - St. Patricks Day 5K - First 5K - 43 min

7/4/11 - Peachtree Road Race - 1hr 30 min

9/2/11 - BB&T Sunset 5K - 40:48

10/22/11 - Rocktoberfest 5K - 38:53

11/5/11 - CommYOUnity 5K - 37:22

11/24/11 - Butterball 5K - 37:03

3/25/12 - Charlotte Motor Speedway 5K - 34:21

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    12. Feb 21, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to chisoxdogwalker)

chisoxdogwalker:    I'm in the far NW suburbs of Chicago, so I share your frustration with our weather.  However, by not running in the ice and snow, you're eliminating the risk of injury that could really set you back.  There are lots of exercises you can do indoors with stretch bands, hand weights and a medicine ball that are great core and toning exercises.  Plus, cross training and one or two rest days per week allow your body to use other muscles and also to recover.

Don't forget, spring training has started.  The first games are this weekend.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...