Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

777422 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 119 120 121 122 123 ... 297 Previous Next
  • betsyblythe Pro 84 posts since
    May 8, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,800. Feb 21, 2011 4:51 PM (in response to mythic)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Mythic!!!  Thanks for the website/hydration suggestion!  Now I have to decide between the Hydroswift & Hydrospeed....decisions, decisions...but AWESOME price!!!

Betts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Virtual St. Patrick's Day Run - Idaho March 17 - missed/injured

Beat the Doc Canine Run 5k in Eagle Island State Park  March 26 - missed/injured

Twilight 5k in Lewiston/Clarkston April 8.- Complete- 45  min

Komen Race For The Cure - Boise May 7- Complete 30 min

See Jane Run Half Marathon Boise June 18 

Fit for Life on   Boise July 9  

Dirty Dash 10k Boise August 27

Payette Lake Run McCall Sept 4

St Lukes Womens Celebration 5k Boise September 24

City of Trees Half Marathon Boise October 9

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,801. Feb 21, 2011 7:06 PM (in response to Scrufffy)

Hey Jack, I purchased a 2 bottle helium fuel belt. These had a lot of good reviews  on Amazon.

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    1,802. Feb 22, 2011 12:54 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Does it make you talk in a high squeeky voice? (HA!)

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

Dec 14, 2007
    1,803. Feb 22, 2011 2:23 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hey Guys I ran 4.5 in the hot sun today, I think I'll run a little earlier than 10 am.

• CathyK817 Amateur 10 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    1,804. Feb 22, 2011 4:28 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Hi FLAmom.  I'm in FL also and am really having an adjustment to the rising temps.  I started running in the hot weather but it quickly turned cold and now that it's getting hot I'm slowing down a bit.  Of course, it does not help that I was sick all last week and still coughing a bit....and that we now have fires in the area from a controlled burn that was anything but controlled.  I'm with you....the earlier the better!  Congrats on making it through a 4.5 in the hot weather though!  Way to go.

• Art Davis Pro 112 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008
    1,805. Feb 22, 2011 4:40 PM (in response to flamomof3)

Little chilly here in Indiana, I ran 3.6 miles this evening, indoors on the treadmill.

I am currently training for the Southern Indiana Classic Marathon in April.

I took Sunday and Monday off after running 20 miles on Saturday.

Getting Fit at Fifty

http://fitatfifty-art.blogspot.com/

• deleteseptember201218act Expert 44 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    1,806. Feb 22, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to SloMo2)

Welcome to all the new people Mary Beth, Manuel Run, gem66, I’m new myself.

SloMo Thanks for the kind welcome and I’m in California? Are you anywhere near there? You are right to listen to your body after that long walk, there’s no need to injure yourself, that is for sure. I’m so excited for you since you are training for a half-marathon. I think your idea of doing it mile by mile is a good idea. I totally understand about the momentum needed and I think it’s a good plan. I only got up to 5K’s last year but hearing about your training is motivating. J I hope to get at least a 10K in this year. 

PaintingLady How is your 100 day challenge going? I haven’t looked for the thread yet but it sounds interesting.

Jasmine Last year I read so many of your posts on the triath thread and you are inspiring.  Just wanted to say that.

Gakate Amazingly I got a few of my workout clothes from Old Navy on clearance. Believe it or not, they actually have quite a few active pieces that are comfortable and keep me dry. Just make sure you look for the “dry wick”, “moisture wick” etc features on the tags. Some stuff looks like it’s the same thing but it’s not.

Patrick.shields Good for you man! A one month mark is such a great start? How long is an ultra-marathon?

Liprippa Congrats on your first duathlon and C25K completion!

I’m hoping to start this week with a mile to break me back in to the routine. Might still be a little cold and windy out so I’ll have to chain myself to the treadmill (ohhhh noooo). Did my first hike last Saturday and loved it.

Completed Events...

Raincross Run 2010 - 5K - February 20th - 59:16 (I know, slow, but I did it)

Walk for Kids by 100 Mile Club - 5K - March 13th - 59:00

March of Dimes - March for Babies 4.5 miles - April 24th

Graduated the C25K program - May 3rd

Cool Runnings 5K Beginner program - W3D2

• susanbarron Legend 390 posts since
    Oct 22, 2009

Welcome Rockylethe- like to have another Californian on board!!

Retiredgirl- I ran the zoo zoom last year and loved it..just found the T shirt over the weekend!! I haven't heard when it is this year, have you seen anything on it? I'm really looking to do more events before I move and lose the opportunity to participate let me know if you hear of anything coming up before the 12k in April , would love your company in any capacity!!

So I got the Garmin yesterday and have had fun playing with it...went out for a short 2 miler just to play with the initial set up...I would have saved my longer run if I'd known it would get here so soon!! Anyone have one and have any "cool" features they like about it or hints, tricks etc I'd love to hear it...Now can't wait to go run Thursday and play some more!!

Also I STILL can't "update" my profile...been trying all different ways since the race on the 12th but as soon as I hit "save profile" it says there is an error below but doesn't show WHERE...arghhh I have emailed the "service" people here at the site but still no response. Has anyone experienced this and have any advice or are the gremlins just on my profile!!!

October 2009- Started Couch to 5k

November 2009- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k (W5D3 C25k)

December 28,2009- finished Couch to 5k

January 2010- Run for you Health 5k

April 2010- Zoo Zoom 10k

June 2010- San Diego Rock n Roll half Marathon

November 2010- Folsom Turkey Trot 5k

April 2011- 4 mile Legal Aide Society Run

upcoming: September 17th 5k Run to Break the Silence

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009

Hi fellow penguins.The other day my daughter & I were running and I mentioned something about us being penguins. She asked why....because we were both wearing black pants & jackets? I got so tickled I almost fell. No dear...we are slow. But we did sort of fit the image, esp. since I had on white under my half zipped jacket.She had on a bright UT orange shirt.

Rocky, the 100 Days Challenge is going well. I finished day 53 today w/ a 3.2 mile run. Several on the thread have said the challenge and thread had kept them accountable. Join us here http://community.active.com/thread/133046/100-day-challenge/0/0 and start with day one if you want. I'm enjoying it so much and feeling so good about it that I plan/hope to go beyond the 100 to 365.

Did any of you watch the tv show HEAVY last night on A&E (I think). It takes morbidly obese couple and works w/ them over the course of 180 days to lose wt through exercise & nutrition. Last episode had a guy who lost 180 pounds and to celebrate, he ran 180 minutes on the treadmill. (I would have run outside!)  He covered 15 miles. It was very inspirational and made me KNOW in my mind that I can run a half marathon before the end of the year and later a marathon. My weight is in the normal range, but I want to lose about 15 pounds, just because I need to lower my cholesterol and think it would be easier on my joints. Who knows....it might even get me out of being a penguin. Naaaaa....I'll always be a penguin and proud of it.

Happy running.

Marie

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,809. Feb 22, 2011 7:18 PM (in response to susanbarron)

Hi Susan -- I think the Zoo Zoom is on April 10 or -- I think it was a Sunday.  I'll look for some others and e-mail you separately.

Glad to hear you got your Garmin!  Maybe you can wow us with it on Sunday, if it isn't raining too hard.

I just finished reading "Courage to Start" by John Bingham.  I really enjoyed it -- cute and inspirational book.  His definition of a Penguin is someone who runs (both workouts and racing) just for the pure joy of it.  Speed wasn't the first criteria, as far as I saw.  However, most slow runners are Penguins -- otherwise they get frustrated and stop running.  And I really enjoyed this:  HE STOPS AND TALKS TO THE PEOPLE STAFFING THE WATER STOPS!  See?  I knew I was in good company!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• NancyLakes Amateur 27 posts since
    Aug 26, 2010
    1,810. Feb 22, 2011 7:26 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi everyone and welcome all the newcomers!

I don't post here often, but I DO read. I can't miss to many days or there are pages and pages to catch up on.. you are a busy bunch! LOL!

I have trouble signing in sometimes and trouble posting sometimes, so I mainly read and keep up with you all. It's nice to hear about all of the stories of your running adventures.

As for myself,  I have signed up for a 1/2 marathon!! I'm very nervous but I have a plan to add more milage slowly over this year. The 1/2 isn't until Nov. and now that the weather is getting nicer, I've been able to get outside more, but then I go sick.. soooo..  now I am just getting well and trying to get back to where I was running-wise before illness set in. There is a 5K that I want to do next month just to get myself back into the whole race mentality. I LOVE having a race to train for. It motivates me more than anything else, and I just look forward to it. I really enjoy the whole atmosphere of a race! I did 3 miles the other day at a 17 mm pace. (no, not kidding... lol.. I'm that slow!)  I was getting that number down to just below a 16 mm pace before I got sick. If I ever get a 15 m mile, I'll be so surprised!!

I guess what I do is not "racing" but more like joining the group that IS racing and making sure no one is left behind...

Art, I've been reading your blog and I think you've got a good thing going there!

as for watches, I got one for Christmas and can't figure out my stride on the thing. When I measured my stride, the chart showed that it was off the chart. .(too short). and now when I run/walk I don't get an accurate distance on the watch. It'll say I've done 1 1/2 mile when I KNOW I've gone 3 etc. I'm kind of aggravated with it because I've tried several different "stride" lengths and none of them have been accurate to the distance. sigh.  So now I just use it to keep time and I measure the distance with my car.

Not always an option to do that, though, lol!

HOW does one go about measuring their correct stride?  If you know, please tell me because I love the watch but it's not doing me much good without this feature. I want to be able to run or walk anywhere and have it tell me the distance, or at least close to the distance.

Thanks!

Started running 4/21/10

1st 5K ran on 11/6/10  Flying Fortress 5K  - 48:29

Enmark Savannah River Bridge Run  5K - 54:14 (walked/ran with my son)

Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure 5K  - 59:02 (walked with my dd)

Coming up:

Watermelon Crawl 6 miler - July 4th (a little nervous)

Registered for: Savannah Rock N Roll HM -11/6 (terrified!)

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010

Rocky - Unfortunately I do not live in California.  I live in the midwest, and so far I have not seen anyone on here who lives even remotely close to me, but I am looking every day to see if there is anyone who might live close by.

I have decided that no matter how many miles I do on my long day this week, that this will be my last week of doing walking only, before I switch over to the walk/run portion of my half marathon training.  I can't continuously blame the weather or tiredness on not doing running, plus the half marathon date is slowly creeping up.  My plan is to do my long walk on either Thursday or Sunday, which are my days off.  I would prefer to do it on Thursday, but we are predicted to get a "wintery mix" on that day, which doesn't sound good to me.  But I will go out just the same and do something, unless it is icey.

I also would like to start swimming once a week, to prepare for a possible triathlon I might do later this year, and to also prepare for Corporate Challenge, which is where businesses compete against each other in various athletic events.  I did swim this past Sunday, but we'll see how long my once a week plan lasts.

I did a short amount of time on the treadmill yesterday to work on my speed.  Sounds easy enough, but ever since then, it feels like I pulled a muscle in my thigh.  I'm not sure what is wrong, but it is a little bit sore.  Nothing major, but I am going to watch it.

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    1,812. Feb 23, 2011 5:41 AM (in response to NancyLakes)

Hi Nancy,
    I often have the same problems with posting, so I tend to read this thread a lot more than I post to it. 

I'm not sure about the stride/watch question.  I got a Garmin 305 for Christmas and it measures my distance and pace by satellite which is really great.  I just got back from a vacation to Mexico and I used it to run around the resort.  I got in 2 - 3 miles most days I was there.  I wouldn't have had a clue how far I went without it. 

Best,
    Laura

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

Dec 14, 2007
    1,813. Feb 23, 2011 7:02 AM (in response to CathyK817)

Thanks! My pool is now swim ready so when I get home after my run I will be jumping in

• SheQuilts Rookie 2 posts since
    Feb 23, 2011
    1,814. Feb 23, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hello, All. I'm a Penguin, too! I love having a more cheerful moniker than "slowest runner on the planet." Much happier. I'm over 50 and just started running this past summer. I fight with injuries from trying to do too much, too soon, or going too fast. I just signed up for a 1/2 marathon in Philly in May. My husband and daughter will be running as well. They promise to stay with me, but I almost hope they don't. I'd hate to think that I was holding them back. It should be fun in any case. Does anyone have tips for making treadmill runs a little more enjoyable? Right now I listen to my iPod, while watching TV with the sound off. Lately, though, even that leaves me pretty bored. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Started running in July of 2010.

First race: 5K, Thanksgiving, 2010. 35:52

Signed up for ODDyssey Half Marathon, Philadelphia, May 22, 2011.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...