Skip navigation

74220 Views 414 Replies Latest reply: Nov 5, 2011 5:56 PM by Mikala_SF RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28 Previous Next
  • jamjoven Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 17, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Feb 14, 2011 5:54 PM (in response to Anthony5450)
    Re: Slow triathletes - Training for 2011

Hello Triathletes, I was inspired by dick and rick hoyt in joining this triathlon. If they can, I can do it too. This forum really helps form me to have a tips on surving this challenge.

William hill

William hill

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    77. Feb 17, 2011 4:46 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Well, friends, -- here we go.  I am 61, retired in July 2010.  Basically no athletics experience at all.  Started walking in August and gradually transitioned to run/walk intervals in October.  Walked a 5K turkey trot in November but don't have a time since I didn't know you had to walk over the starting mat to make the chip work (lesson learned).  Ran my first 4 mile race last Saturday in 1:00:30 (stopped to chat with the ladies at the water station -- could have shaved off the 30 sec -- lesson learned).  Since July have lost 35 lb. through exercise and a very small reduction in food consumption.

In January, decided I might enjoy tri (starting to doubt my sanity though).  Bought a bike and joined a club with a pool.  Start swimming lessons next Tuesday.  Hired a tri coach and paid 3 months in advance so now I have to do this.  We agreed to shoot for doing a sprint tri in July -- she thinks I'll be ready before then -- I think August at the earliest, but we'll see.  Maybe her definition of "ready" is different than mine.

I feel sort of like a building under construction -- like I should be surrounded by caution tape and barricades with flashing lights.  I'm really surprised to be doing this but the challenge sounds like fun.  My son is impressed (and slightly surprised, I think) and my friends think I am completely crazy.

Wish me luck -- I'm going to need it if I am going to keep huffing and puffing through three sports!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• Kelly75331 Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 12, 2009
    79. Feb 21, 2011 4:05 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

I'm so impressed by all of the stories on this thread.  I've registered for my first sprint Tri!  Started training this week.  My biggest challenge is the bike. Any ideas about what type?  I've looked into buying one and it would be about $700 for the entry level road bike.  I've asked around and nobody I know has a road bike that I could borrow.  I have a cruiser but don't feel that is even an option.  It just worries me to spend that much as it's only my first Tri.  Thoughts?

Thanks

Dec 3, 2010
    80. Feb 21, 2011 6:13 PM (in response to Kelly75331)

Others will probably have better advice since I am such a rank newbie.  I just bought a bike and my trainer recommended that I buy a "hybrid" -- it is kind of a road bike with knobbyish tires, fork and seat shocks.  He recommended REI's Navarro brand because they come with frames sized to fit various heights and are reasonably priced.  The REI folks were very helpful --  I'm a peewee and ended up with an extra small.  I didn't know which one to choose so I went with one priced in the mid-high range and I liked the idea of fork and seat shocks.  It came to about $600 there were some that were less.  I agree -- you hate to spend a lot until you know you will get use out of.  I haven't ridden it too much yet because I just bought it but so far I like it very much.  It has many many gear settings, shifts very smoothly, and rides great.  The only concern I have is that because of the extra small frame and my nice big feet, if I turn the handlebars very sharply to one side or the other, the wheel can catch my shoe.  I've resolved that by wearing smooth soled shoes (not running shoes) and so far no problem.

Dec 3, 2010
    82. Feb 22, 2011 7:01 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hi Jasmine -- I don't know how to fix a tire -- I doubt AAA would come if I called them for that   Guess I'd better learn -- I can probably do it I suppose.  My bike has 24 gears, I think.  Two shifters one with 3 settings and one with 8.  First you choose a range on the shifter with 3 gears and then shift between the 8 gears within that range.  Their pamphlet had a much more technical description but that seems to be how it is in reality.  So far I've used about 4 of the midrange gears -- I call it 2-4, 2-5, 2-6, 2-7 in my head as I'm using them.  I was actually able to ride straight up the side of levee (so pretty steep slope) on gear 1-7 (as I recall), so they seem to be very useful for steep hills.  We're fortunate to have a beautiful paved bicycle/running trail running about 28 miles along a river between the river and the flood control levee.  All of the 3 range make the bike go too fast for me right now so I'm confining myself in the 2 range until I get more confidence.

Maybe you should take your bike to a shop and have them give it a once over and fix the tire so you can move on out!  If you wait too long they'll get busy and you'll miss some of the fun!

• KurtinSC Pro 126 posts since
    Nov 23, 2009
    83. Feb 24, 2011 8:00 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

When I started riding last year after not using the bike I had for 5 years, I managed to snap the valve off of one of my tires... which necessitated a tire change.

My first attempt resulted in the tube getting caught between the tire and the rim without me realizing it.  About a half a mile into the ride it rubbed through the tube and I went totally flat.  Went smoother the second time though once I realized I had to look for that.

The tire changing kits are pretty easy to understand... but make sure to check to see if any of the tube is sticking out after you get it on but before you inflate.  It's depressing going through that and then having to do it again.

• NzAndy Pro 77 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    84. Feb 25, 2011 1:37 PM (in response to KurtinSC)

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so sorry if I'm reapeating something someone else already said.  I have some tips that I've learned from 8 years of bike races and 2 years of doing tri's that might be of use here based on the last few posts.

Bikes:  If you're doing a sprint distance tri the type of bike isn't very important.  I've seen people do them on all sorts from mountain bikes and cruisers up through high end space ship carbon frames.  The most important thing is to have something you're comfortable with riding for 10 to 15 miles so you can get out and take part.  Of course a road bike is better because they're designed for lower rolling resistance and are lighter than other types.  A decent used road bike can be picked up at a reasonable price if you don't have the budget for a high tech bike.  Tires with smooth treads work best for road work and are typically cheap and easy to change over too.  One of my favorite sayings about riding is that the most important part of the bike is the nut on the seat. 

Changing tires:  This took me some time to learn the best way and it's important to pass this info along to spare others a similar fate on the side of the road.  I keep a saddle bag with basic tools like a tire iron, 2 CO2 cartridges and valve adapter, multitool, and spare inner tube.  The inner tube is in a ziplock bag with some talcum powder to prevent it from wearing a hole in it while waiting for the call of duty.  Once you have a flat removed the new inner tube is best partially inflated so it can fit into the tire while you reseat the rubber on the rim.  Don't put too much in or you'll never get it into the rim, just enough to keep it from pinching as was described earlier.  The powder also helps it settle in better.  To reseat the tire NEVER use the tire iron because it's very likely to destroy the new inner tube by pinching it.  I pull around on the tire and slowly work towards a center spot making sure the tube isn't pinched.  Use your thumbs to push the bead over the rim for best effect.  Yes, this can be hard if the specific tire is a tight fit on your rim.  I'm using armadillos on my training rims which are Shimano RS20's (for those who are interested) and on the racing rims I have Maxxis Detonators on Shimano RS80's.  Both can be easily worked on by hand.  If you need to buy tires check with your bike shop and see if they can do a test fit so you can check this.  You will eventually need to be able to do this.  The CO2 is a handy fast inflator but just remember it's a one time only effect.  You can't do a little to start so a small hand pump is still a good option and I carry one for long rides in my Camelback.  Also CO2's can leave a small ice chunk in the stem on occasion so make sure you close the valve thoroughly so it doesn't all leak out again before the end of the ride.

One last tip is to occasionally check your tires for glass chips.  How often will depend on how much you're riding and if you've been through some lately.  I deflate the tire and then pinch it at each cut in the tread with a flashlight to look for a sparkle.  Tweezers are great for fishing out the chips.  Those little chips will eventually work through the tire and cut your inner tubes to pieces over time giving frequent flats.  If you align the tire's pressure rating text with the stem hole you can track down any issues after the tube is off by locating the hole and following that to the same location on the tire.  The alignment just makes it easier.

Hopefully that helps give some insight on common issues I've seen in this thread.  I never race to win anything, it's all about personal achievement and enjoying the moment.  It just helps to have the skills that will help you get through when you have a problem on the course.

Andy

• BT.ROB Legend 272 posts since
    May 12, 2009
    85. Feb 25, 2011 3:43 PM (in response to NzAndy)

Excellent. Exactly what I do, including carrying and using a mini-pump and aligning the tire pressure with the valve.

BT

• Anthony5450 Amateur 25 posts since
    Nov 17, 2010
    86. Feb 27, 2011 7:58 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

One mistake I made in my first triathlon, that I later rectified, is not practicing my transitions. Take the time before the race to plan how you'll go through both transitions. Before the race itself, lay out your gear in a way that makes it easy for you to change shoes, dry your feet, etc. It makes a world of difference and can save you a few minutes!

Sprint Triathlon Training Program

Dec 3, 2010
    87. Feb 27, 2011 9:17 AM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Wow!  First swimming lesson last Tuesday and practiced 30 minutes yesterday following a 45 min bike ride.  I had no idea how many little muscles there are in your back -- everyone of them is tight!  Well, I guess that is the whole idea.  Just like starting out walking and transitioning to running.  I also consumed a good bit of water via my nose -- I need to work on making sure I breathe out continuously underwater.  Ahhh, the simple things will get you every time.  Off to do a nice run this am with SusanBarron -- sunny, cold (for Sacramento) day.  It will be beautiful.

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    89. Mar 4, 2011 8:52 AM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Hi JoAnn!

I see where you did great at the Heart n Soul 5K!!! WTG!!!!

Just jumping in to check up on you! It looks like you are doing great!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 28 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...