Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

68961 Views 703 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM by racebug313 1 2 3 ... 47 Previous Next
christa0120 Rookie 5 posts since
Jul 26, 2003
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 13, 2005 2:00 PM

colon issues (sorry)

I ran a half mari today (which I could have been better trained for...but can run the distance)
At about mile 9 I had the feeling that I might need to "go" But it hurt more than anything...
Felt like I was trying to give birth more than anything else but definately wasnt productive.
I have eaten all the same things before todays race so I know it was not a food issue.
I was thinking it was some type of colits? spastic colo thing...anyone have experience with it?
and blood in the stools also?
Input welcome...ty

• Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 14, 2005 3:42 PM (in response to christa0120)
    Re: colon issues (sorry)

Hmm... sounds frighteningly similar to my first half marathon, after which I spent the night in the emergency room because I was going to the bathroom and passing blood. The doctors at the time told me it was eschemic colotis, a condition that sometimes occurs in long-distance runners, especially women, and was compounded by the fact that I took Aleve the night before. I left the hospital thinking that it was a one time thing.

I've gotten sick every long run since then (and even on some 5-6 milers) and often remain too sick to eat for hours after a run. The blood is gone but the need to go is unbearable and has caused many an uncomfortable mile. I've tried varying my diet, cutting out ibuprophen, not eating anything for HOURs before, etc. Nothing worked.

That was until about 2 months ago. I read an article about "runner's trots" that described me exactly. The article said that the condition happens in a high percentage of female runners at some point in their lives. It recommended taking Immodium AD an hour or so before a long run. Not to sound like an advertisement, but Immodium AD changed my life. I finished my first post-running-trots (sorry!) half mary yesterday and immediately went out for nachos and a big lunch. My stomach feels great!

Hope your problem can be solved much more quickly and easier than mine -- but try Immodium if you're desperate. It works!

2. Mar 14, 2005 4:04 PM (in response to christa0120)

Ulcerative Proctitus, sounds alot like that too.  Started with me once I started doing longer runs over ten miles, it got so I made my routes go past construction sites ( Porta-Potties) and I'd have to stop two to three times in the mornings. Finally went to a Gastroenterologist and have been on medication that takes care of it. I hope that it is not it in your case, basically it's a very mild form of colitus that's incurable, but really isn't supposed to get any worse.
    Something werid about it though, talking online with other sufferers alot of people get it after having quit smoking for a number of years. But for the most part they don't know where it comes from.

Good Luck

• kspowell Amateur 263 posts since
    Jul 8, 2004
    3. Mar 14, 2005 11:04 PM (in response to christa0120)

Hi Christa,

I posted several times to a similar question in the Ultrarunning forum.  I am a graduate student in nutritional sciences and my lab specializes in gastrointestinal diseases and disorders.  I will try to link the other thread to this one.  (Never done this before, but here goes nothing...)  Anyway, I hate to sound like a know-it-all, but check out what I wrote in the thread.  I think it will offer you some insight.  Also, you might Google ischemic colitis for more info.  A previous poster had the name of the condition correct, but the spelling was incorrect, making it tough to Google.

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum30/HTML/000515.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

Good Luck -- Kristy

--

<br /><a href="http://interwovendesign.com/kick/userdisplay.php3?username=kspowell" target="_blank">Me at Chicago 2004[/URL" target="_blank"><br />Positive thoughtsnegative splits!

• wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 16, 2005 5:38 AM (in response to christa0120)

I am always relieved Re: colon issues (sorry) to find other sufferers Re: colon issues (sorry)
    This issue PLAGUES me on every run longer than 3 miles....it is so FRUSTRATING.
    I have done what many have posted: changed diet, taken imodium, moved my bowels immediately before heading out the door...etc.
    Nothing works: I always have the urge to go and often suffer with incontinence...loss of control.

I never run with others and rarely enter 5-10k races du to embarrassment

any help is VERY much appreciated
    email:
    bucky75wi@charter.net

• pauline097 Rookie 20 posts since
    Apr 3, 2001
    6. Mar 16, 2005 1:05 PM (in response to christa0120)

I really hope you respond to this because I have had similar issues in the past (and still struggle with) but

1. Have you had children?

I am almost certain my problem is my pelvic floor muscles and if there is anything, and I mean anything, left in my lower GI tract then I tend to have the exact same symptoms......feels like you have to go, pain, pressure etc.......blood too! I think I actually got my low iron from those problems last year plus the monthly curse.....

Anyway, being COMPLETELY empty always works for me.........that means lots of fibre the day before and many, many trips to the bathroom prior to the race.

Let me know if your problems have occured after kids? Just curious.......

I also went to the GI and had a scope done (sigmoidoscopy).....nothing is wrong at all.........I think it's a functional thing that happens only when running, and I need to be completely empty, especially for long runs.

Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 21, 2007 11:27 AM (in response to christa0120)

Yes, I've had two kids Re: colon issues (sorry) and the first one was a traumatic long labor with lots of tearing, episiodomy, and forceps---&gt;I totally agree with you that pelvic floor and rectal issue is why the incontinence/urgency problems plague women runners more than men!
    I have the same 'pressure' feelings that you do while running Re: colon issues (sorry) and have TRIED to empty out, but without suceess.
    I'm 52 yrs old and post-menopausal, so I think hormones might come into play as well.

WARNING!!! TMI example coming up, so skip if you don't want to read:

after breakfast today I had 2 bms before 7 am, then took imodium and went to work. snacked on a fitness bar and banana at 9:30. came home at noon, had another bm and went out for my 7 miler. thankfully I was wearing my 'depends' because my colon leaked and cramped and leaked some more 3 times during that run....it was horrible, but typical for me.
    I warned you....TMI!!!

I am disgusted and frustrated

[http://This message has been edited by wherestheportojohn (edited Mar-16-2005).|http://This message has been edited by wherestheportojohn (edited Mar-16-2005).]

[http://This message has been edited by wherestheportojohn (edited Mar-16-2005).|http://This message has been edited by wherestheportojohn (edited Mar-16-2005).]

• pauline097 Rookie 20 posts since
    Apr 3, 2001
    8. Mar 16, 2005 6:21 PM (in response to christa0120)

Have you seen a doctor?  To me that sounds completely like muscle control and not anything to do with your diet or other GI issues.  I would completely agree that it's frustrating for you and I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to do races or anything.  Don't be grossed out but have you tried an enema before running anything "important", they flush you out pretty well and there are no medicinal effects.  But, you wouldn't want to use one too regularly.

• chele519 Rookie 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    9. Dec 21, 2007 11:27 AM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by wherestheportojohn:

Yes, I've had two kids Re: colon issues (sorry) and the first one was a traumatic long labor with lots of tearing, episiodomy, and forceps---&gt;I totally agree with you that pelvic floor and rectal issue is why the incontinence/urgency problems plague women runners more than men!
    I have the same 'pressure' feelings that you do while running Re: colon issues (sorry) and have TRIED to empty out, but without suceess.
    I'm 52 yrs old and post-menopausal, so I think hormones might come into play as well.

WARNING!!! TMI example coming up, so skip if you don't want to read:

after breakfast today I had 2 bms before 7 am, then took imodium and went to work. snacked on a fitness bar and banana at 9:30. came home at noon, had another bm and went out for my 7 miler. thankfully I was wearing my 'depends' because my colon leaked and cramped and leaked some more 3 times during that run....it was horrible, but typical for me.
    I warned you....TMI!!!

I am disgusted and frustrated

When i take Immodium before my long run, I take it no more than 1 hr before. From your post it sounds like you took it 4-5 hours before. Try it closer to your run instead.

Dec 14, 2007
    10. Mar 17, 2005 2:20 PM (in response to christa0120)

Thanks for the imodium advice!

I guess I never thought about the timing of it with running!

In the past when I have take it for acual illness, I always followed the instructions which say to take immediately following an 'episode'

I will certainly try your suggestion tomorrow Re: colon issues (sorry)

11. Mar 17, 2005 5:48 PM (in response to christa0120)

WTPJ, I'm assuming you've spoke to a gastroenterologist ... did he or she discuss the possibility of putting you on any other kind of medication besides immodium? This is a subject about which I have no knowledge at all, but I figure there have got to be other medications you could try ... immodium can't be all that's out there.

Anyway, this is mostly just a word of sympathy, it sounds like a truly aggravating problem.

12. Mar 17, 2005 7:06 PM (in response to christa0120)

I'm a guy, but what I have to say may still be relevant.  Two years ago, in 7th grade, I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, which is a disease  of the intestines.  I started running in 8th grade, but not seriously until this year (9th grade).  I talked to my gastroenterologist, and he said that it is somewhat common for runners who have Crohn's disease to experience a need to go to the bathroom while running.  I try my best to use the bathroom before running, but sometimes after my run I end up having diarrhea.
    An important thing to remember is not to take Ibuprofen (Motrin) for pain if you have stomach problems, because it can iritate your stomach more.

Dec 14, 2007
    13. Mar 18, 2005 4:41 PM (in response to christa0120)

nope, haven't been to a GI doc Re: colon issues (sorry)  I have had a sigmoidoscope and other fecal tests within the past year....all negative.

and dang it, wouldn't you know, I FORGOT to take my imodium before my run today....fortunately I ran on the TM, so when I had to stop twice, it wasn't an issue

this has been an interesting discussion and thanks to all who've added their knowledge and advice

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Mar 21, 2005 5:50 AM (in response to christa0120)

I have Ulcerative Colitis and suffer from the same annoying loss of control.  It happened yesterday at mile 12 of my usual Sunday 13 mile run.  There is nothing I can do when it happens.  Just continue on my way home having to walk.  It sucks.  I also get violently sick after 1/2 marathons.  My last one, I found the porta potty and was in there for 5 minutes.  Just a fact of life for those of us suffering from IBD.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

1 2 3 ... 47 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...