Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

68206 Views 703 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM by racebug313 RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 47 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    30. Mar 29, 2005 9:57 AM (in response to christa0120)
    Re: colon issues (sorry)

How's everyone's colon today? I'm about to go out and find out. Actually I really just want this thread at the forefront so I can hear others possible remedies/experiences. Have a great day everyone!

• wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Mar 29, 2005 11:39 AM (in response to christa0120)

for anyone who gives a schlitz:

my GI appt is scheduled for April 26th

thanks ann and selena and others for giving me a swift kick to get me going on making the appt

32. Mar 29, 2005 11:58 AM (in response to christa0120)

A year ago I developed this terrible problem that I couldn't talk to anyone about. It impacted my life in a huge way- I had horribly humiliating incidents. Even when I managed to avoid an "accident" I experienced so much anxiety that I was worn out. I loved to run and it interfered with that big time. What a comfort this has been for me finding that I'm not alone! I feel like anyone who has this problem and continues to run and fight the problem is very brave.  We have to stick together and try to help each other.

Dec 14, 2007
    33. Dec 21, 2007 11:27 AM (in response to christa0120)

so true

over on the WW boards that I also post on, the other runners think that they'd have given up running by now if they had this problem

I enjoy running
    and want to get better....beating this problem is the first step

btw,
    colon issues aside, I had a wonderful energetic four miler this morning...felt strong and fast Re: colon issues (sorry)

34. Mar 29, 2005 2:31 PM (in response to christa0120)

so glad you had a great run! mine was OK, just did 2 mi, first all running since marathon 10 days ago. My legs are still tired, really felt heavy. I wish I was a more patient person. I've had too much surplus nervous energy since I reduced my mileage, can't sleep as well, also have noticed higher stress level. whine, whine, whine. Thank God I have a place to do it!

• scsully Rookie 7 posts since
    Mar 4, 2005
    35. Mar 29, 2005 4:11 PM (in response to christa0120)

I'm so glad this thread has come up. About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, after three years of treating IBS.  My Crohn's was discovered when I went in for an emergency apendectomy, but the surgeon discovered it was much worse and removed some of my intestines along with my appendix! I was a junior in college at the time.  After the diagnosis, I was put on various drugs and felt good for a while, but the symptoms you are all describing came back.  I stopped running for a long time unless it was at the gym on the treadmill closest to the bathroom. 

I have recenlty been feeling good and getting back out there and have been running again for about a year, and have done some road races here and there. This weekend I am running the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston. My husband, who does not like to run, has always wanted to run this race--for the cool factor I guess. So, being the supportive wife I am, I said I would help him train and run the race with him. I am driving myself crazy thinking about being on that dumb bridge up in the air surrounded by thousands of people, with no bushes in sight! I have a lot of anxiety. I think the bridge part is only about 2-3 miles, the race is a 10K all together.
    I plan on eating a light meal early Friday evening, no breakfast, and a couple of immodium before the race. Hopefully that will keep everything calm.  Has anyone ever run in adult diapers (I can't belive I'm 25 and I'm considering running in diapers!!)  Ah well, thanks for the support and keep up this thread.

Dec 14, 2007
    36. Mar 30, 2005 4:35 PM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by scsully:

I'm so glad this thread has come up. About 4 years ago I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease, after three years of treating IBS. My Crohn's was discovered when I went in for an emergency apendectomy, but the surgeon discovered it was much worse and removed some of my intestines along with my appendix! I was a junior in college at the time. After the diagnosis, I was put on various drugs and felt good for a while, but the symptoms you are all describing came back. I stopped running for a long time unless it was at the gym on the treadmill closest to the bathroom.

I have recenlty been feeling good and getting back out there and have been running again for about a year, and have done some road races here and there. This weekend I am running the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston. My husband, who does not like to run, has always wanted to run this race--for the cool factor I guess. So, being the supportive wife I am, I said I would help him train and run the race with him. I am driving myself crazy thinking about being on that dumb bridge up in the air surrounded by thousands of people, with no bushes in sight! I have a lot of anxiety. I think the bridge part is only about 2-3 miles, the race is a 10K all together.
    I plan on eating a light meal early Friday evening, no breakfast, and a couple of immodium before the race. Hopefully that will keep everything calm. Has anyone ever run in adult diapers (I can't belive I'm 25 and I'm considering running in diapers!!) Ah well, thanks for the support and keep up this thread.

YIKES!
    Crohns seems so scary to me...are you still on meds? Restricted diet?
    More power to ya for getting out ther and running again.

As far as wearing 'Depends' type products, YES, I began wearing them this winter due to the weather....let me explain:

I live in Wisconsin, and cannot always find a place to dive into along a 2-5 foot deep snowbank in the winter...so I've taken to wearing them for accidents/emergencies Re: colon issues (sorry)
    I find them HOT and bulky and embarrassing and horrible...but a necessary evil to allow me to get my miles in.
    However, the option of soiling myself Re: colon issues (sorry) in public is so offensive, that I'll continue to wear them as needed.

To anyone who is lurking and cannot understand our misery, just think of us the next time you REALLY HAVE TO GO and can't find a toilet.... now think of us doing this every time we run

37. Mar 30, 2005 8:46 PM (in response to christa0120)

Hey Everyone,

I'm sorry to hear about all of your colonistic problems. I don't have your situation but do suffer from some other pelvic issues. My issues are humiliating for me as well, so I definitely sympathize with all of you!!

I saw that a bunch of you mentioned incontinence problems as well. I just wanted to throw out the idea of seeing a Biofeedback Therapist. I went to one for my issue and she was fantastic. I know she also worked with people who had incontinence and bowel problems. She is in Wellesley, MA and I can dig up her info for anyone if you want it.

Probably won't be checking in on this thread too much, but I just posted another one "antidepressants and running" so drop me a note in there if need be!

Good luck everyone!

• sandijam Rookie 52 posts since
    Sep 29, 2002
    38. Mar 31, 2005 8:11 AM (in response to christa0120)

thanks for the topic. I thought I'd do a quick look this am to see if I could find any info on this exact topic and there it is! I'm going to try the immodium. Any side effects from those who are using it? do you still have regular/daily bowel movements? Sorry to be so direct...

Mar 4, 2005
    39. Mar 31, 2005 11:00 AM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by wherestheportojohn:

YIKES!
    Crohns seems so scary to me...are you still on meds? Restricted diet?
    More power to ya for getting out ther and running again.

yes, I'm still on Meds, I will probably always be on something. I do have a restricted diet, but I think I'm in "remission" b/c I've been feeling really good lately. A huge blessing.

Thanks for the depends info.  I may have to try them out, I'll just have to buy roomier pants, I don't think the'll fit under my spandex 

Mar 4, 2005
    40. Mar 31, 2005 11:04 AM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by sandijam:

thanks for the topic. I thought I'd do a quick look this am to see if I could find any info on this exact topic and there it is! I'm going to try the immodium. Any side effects from those who are using it? do you still have regular/daily bowel movements? Sorry to be so direct...

I take a lot of immodium and have been for many years. I think I'm becoming immune. My Gastroenternologist (GI) told me that can sometimes happen. For me it usually works for an hour or two. When I first started taking it it would work for a day or two.  I think it depends on the situation and the person. That probably didn't help you much huh? Sorry.

41. Mar 31, 2005 2:10 PM (in response to christa0120)

Hey scscully, I'm sorry the immodium has become less effective. What a drag. Hope you're gettting help with something else. I've only been taking Immodium daily for about a year now, so I'm not sure how it'll work in the future. Now it's been a dream come true and helped me immensely in getting a better control on...things....To the new Immodium user, yes I do have a BM every day, 95% of the time. When I don't it's because I've taken two the day before in anticipation of a big event...(race, long training run, dinner out)...Anyway, best of luck with it. To the runner with Crohn's disease, you are an inspiration to me! You are a  strong and courageous person.

• sandijam Rookie 52 posts since
    Sep 29, 2002
    42. Mar 31, 2005 5:49 PM (in response to christa0120)

thanks for the update. I ran today for 10 miles after taking it and felt great. Hope I don't have to keep this up forever though...

43. Apr 1, 2005 10:35 AM (in response to christa0120)

that's wonderful Sandijam! Not having to worry about the bathroom sure makes running a lot more fun. You can remember how enjoyable a stress-free run can be,huh?

Dec 14, 2007
    44. Apr 1, 2005 12:01 PM (in response to christa0120)

Congrats on the successful run!!!

Wish that had worked for me today....

sigh

even after an elaborate morning ritual Re: colon issues (sorry), I did  8.5 miles and nothing changed....

sigh

I'm glad I've got an appt to see the GI doc later this month

sigh once more

1 2 3 4 5 ... 47 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...