Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

32081 Views 279 Replies Latest reply: Apr 5, 2011 1:09 PM by JohnMichalicka Go to original post 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 Previous Next
  • lasbud1969 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010

Need more porta-potties if you put together a race for 15,000 participants!  Don't need the goody bag, don't need more T-shirts!  Need a porta-pottie so that I don't have to spend my 25-minute warm-up time on standing in a line for the crapper!

• AprilRose1 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 12, 2009

I have run in previous Gasparilla races and ran the 8k this year. I thought it was another very successful and well ran event but I was disappointed with the 8k start time on Sunday. The 9am time felt very late and the heat was miserable on the all asphalt path. An earlier time may have assisted......

• tdfobell Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

This was our 2nd 5k walk and overall we were very satisfied. To make things go more smoothly prior to the 5k runners start/5k walkers start, last year you had the walkers with strollers/wagons line up at the rear of the walkers to make the start less congested.  This year that wasn't stressed and it was very crowded at the start.  Also, the announcements via loud speakers were not heard unless you were very close to them, which didn't allow for important info to be heard. Otherwise,

• CA Mooy Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 5, 2008

I'll have to run faster. Finishing the 5K with a 1 hour clock time, there was no water offered on the bridge or in the tunnel. And I sure never found the free beer.

This was my fourth.

• runnergirl1267 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 16, 2009

I ran the Gasparilla 15k for the first time.  I enjoyed the experience of being in my home town to run as I live currently in Jacksonville.  The expo was wonderful.  The volunteers very friendly.  The race was well organized.  I was able to find my pace group.

For those of you who don't like the walk/run people. I finished ahead of my original pace group by walking /running.  Perhaps all runs should have race etiquette rules as a reminder to be courteous to your fellow runners.  I normally raise my hand before a walk break so people can see I'm about to stop.  I also indicate to runners where I'm at relative to them when passing.  People seem to respect you for doing that than trying to run them over.  Most people who run/walk generally stay to one side or the other.

The only think I didn't like is the shirt.  Sorry complaint.  I run the Gate River Run 15k.  Last year not only did I receive a technical shirt it was a women's fit.  I was really hoping we would receive at least short sleeve technical shirts.

Overall great event.  I want to think the people who put the race together and all the volunteers who make it happen.

• Debra57123 Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 12, 2009

well done race with great organization and great medal for a half marathon.  Glitches noted with text messaging friends.  They didn't get it till we were finished.

• farcus13 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 30, 2008

Great course - I will be back next year. Fun race good support and great fans.

• cmd26 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 29, 2010

This was the first year running in Tampa.  I chose the 15K and it was wonderful.  Well organized and a lot of fun.  I stayed with the pacer and he was right on.  The course could not be more beautiful and the weather is great.  Tons of food to chose from at the end and the expo was first class.  Will definitely be back next year!  Tampa is a great area with so much to do:  First Class Restaurants, Lots of shopping, 1/2 hour from beautiful beaches and an hour from Disney and Universal.  What more could you ask for.

• invertgirl Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011

pros:  I did the half marathon and the course was beautiful!  There was a lot to look at as far as scenery.  The time of the race was perfect...if it had started any later, it would have been pretty warm by the end.  The volunteers and staff were wonderful!  All of the kids were great.  The stand of GU and other energizers near the end of the race was wonderful, plus all of the water/gatorade stands were greatly appreciated!  The medal and shirt seemed to be of good quality.

cons:  I didn't think there was enough information provided about where the race start was/how to get there, where to park, etc.  Where was the free beer I read about?  Where were the race results?  Where were the people at the end of the race guiding the runners and giving information?  I read every piece of information that was sent to me/given to me before the race, and since a lot of details were omitted, I assumed it would be straightforward once I got to the area, and it wasn't.  Since it was a requirement to give your shirt size upon registration, it seems like common sense to be able to actually given that particular size.  When I picked up my packet, they were out of my size.  That seemed odd...

• Julie__44 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 25, 2007

This is my second time running the 15K.  Wanted to do the half but the less expensive hotels filled up too quickly.  I enjoyed this race both times and plan on doing it again(maybe the half next year).  It is well organized, volunteers are friendly, and the expo is pretty good.  I like the idea of putting some race etiquette guidelines in race packet. 

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010

I was very pleased with the Gasparilla Half Marathon.  It was very well organized and I really appreciated the thought and concern put into it.  The last half marathon I ran only had one port-a-potty at each aid station and a line of 5 or 6 people meant losing 15 to 20 minutes at least.  I had to make a stop during the Gasparilla race and I would be surprised if it cost me more than 2 minutes.  Water and Gatorade was plentiful and aid stations were not spread too far out.  I loved the course and the people giving their support.  If there was one thing I would change it would be the runners themselves.  I have no issues with those who walk/run unless they are three or four people walking together and abreast, blocking a good portion of a lane.  Most of us know we will never take first place overall but we are trying to place in our age division or beat our last PR.

• Junnie Chung Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 19, 2010

Who do I talk to about why my timing chip didn't register for the 5k or the 1/2marathon?  My times for the 15k and 8k posted fine.  I did the Mich Ultra challenge and saw that my name was listed under those that didn't finish.  I did all 4 races!!!  But my 5k and 1/2M times aren't listed!!!!  Can this be corrected???  And since we only got 1 bib for each race, I only got ONE beer ticket.  Seriously, I needed 4 beers after running 30.47miles over 2 days!!!

• KimKD Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I've run one or more of the races each of the last 10 years.  It is a great event.  The expo is wonderful - all kinds of free stuff and other good deals to be found.  I was a little disapointed this year that I went to buy a shirt at Nike and my size (and all but xs) was sold out.  I also think they could do some work on the shirts.  This year the sizing was off.  I also think that the 15K should get a technical t-shirt, likewise the 8K and half.  I did not run the half this year, but the shirt did look nice. 

• taweber2 Amateur 9 posts since
    Oct 12, 2008

Pros: Columbia Restaruant's food was plentiful and great tasting! Support by Tampa PD was professional as was that by Tampa solid waste collection. The sponsors were also great as were the facilities at the Convention Center. The course is my usual training area and as others have written, it's beautiful, no matter how many times I run it during the year. The expo is one of the best. If you like expo shopping, you HAVE to come.

Cons: Parking. The 5K sucked! Too many people in too tight a starting area and most of them were clueless about where they should be at the start of registered races. I hate having to go "Down Town" and this was no different. Why can't Tampa's premier race show people more of the city I love to live in? It took too long for runners to get beer afterwards and what's so flipping great about Channel Side? I live here and wanted to get the heck out of down town as soon as my races were over (I did all 4).

• dafrogman Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 24, 2008

Great job! You can't do anything about the weather and i prefer this year to last year. Ran the 5K and half marathon and agree with comments about walkers. Corrals would help that if it's workable. Two complaints on the half course, the sharp turn to get onto the Davis Island bridge being one. Bad way to start a race and all those people going up a one lane road didn't work. Second, the water stop at the Davis Island traffic circle was set up in a narrow part of the road. Another 1000 feet would have put it at a much better spot. Entire weekend was well organized, expo was great! Good job!

1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...