Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

37314 Views 200 Replies Latest reply: Apr 6, 2011 10:08 AM by Sarah N1 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Previous Next
  • running4four Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 25, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    75. Mar 1, 2011 8:08 AM (in response to wearewebb)
    Re: C25K starting Monday, Feb. 28th...

@wearewebb...Welcome!  There are many on this thread that have been so encouraging to me...glad you are here, and we can conquer this together!  I did my first workout yesterday, and I thought I was gonna die!  I felt pretty good the rest of the day, but this morning, I could really feel it.  I'm SO sore!  I got up and made myself walk this morning for 20 minutes.  I want to get to tomorrow's workout, but I'm really worried that since I'm so sore, the second day will be harder than the first!  I guess we'll see!

As far as podcasts....I have browsed for some Christian music as well, and haven't come up with anything.  I've downloaded from two different places.  Do a google search on Carli Fierce, and Nicole Blum.  Carli has two podcasts, one is hiphop, and one is old-school rock.  I did the rock one yesterday.  It's not music that I listen to all the time, but I did recognize the songs, and enjoyed them.  I REALLY like her vocal cues.  She is calm, and encouraging.  Her website is pretty informational about fitness/weight loss.  Nicole has a blog and her podcasts are hip hop too, but I haven't used them yet, as I just started this yesterday.  Thought maybe these could work for ya until you find exactly what you want.  There is a podcast out there with vocal cues only and no music.  It says that you can put your own music to the vocal cues, but I haven't tried to do it.  Not real confident that I'm "computer-savy" enough, lol.  Good Luck!

If you have a FB account...go on over there and "Like" the page!  Just another way for us all to keep in touch, and maybe find some more folks to join us!  The page is called C25K Start 2/28/2011.

• ttianna Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    76. Mar 1, 2011 8:26 AM (in response to KCrew5)

I found the fan page, but I can't find the group to join.

• amlaboy Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 23, 2011
    77. Mar 1, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to gem66)

I didn't get to start yesterday but I made up for it today along with a Callanetics Evo CD first. I'm tired but feeling good. I had to skip the 4th run but tacked it on at the end so I don't feel like I cheated too much. lol

I didn't find much in the way of Christian music to listen to for this activity either. I don't think there's a whole lot of Christian music that is "running material" so I stepped back in to the 80's a bit. There's a lot of good stuff from that era. Of course, I'm biased because I'm a class of '83 myself.

If it hasn't already been done, maybe we can share music titles to run by. My personal favorite today was Cold As Ice by Foreigner.

Oh, btw,  I did the C25k in my sauna suit. Don't worry...plenty of water.

• AshleyRS Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    78. Mar 1, 2011 10:49 AM (in response to gem66)

Hi guys! So I'm entirely new to this site but did try the couch to 5k plan last summer on the advice of a friend. Unfortunately neither of us finished it then lol I did keep doing some running on my own that wasn't following the plan and did pretty well but then school started up and my friends came back from summer vaca and my exercising went downhill fast haha Now my sister and I have decided we want to run a half marathon at the end of August so we're going to try this plan to get ourselves back into running. I just found this thread today and haven't started the plan yet but am going to the gym in a little while to start (I'd run outside but I'm way up north and there's snow and ice everywhere! ick!) Hopefully doing it as sort of a part of a group will help me actually stick with it this time!

Good luck to everybody!

Ashley

• unikay Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 21, 2010
    79. Mar 1, 2011 11:17 AM (in response to gem66)

I hope everyone is having a good day. Since today was a no running day for me I decided to take a kickbxing class this morning at the gym. I am going to be soooo sore tomorrow but right now I feel great. I signed up for a 5k (well it's actually a 6k which I thought was a little random, it's a little more than a 1/2 mile longer than a 5k) but nonetheless I registered anyway. I love reading everyone's posts you are all doing so great I am going to check out the facebook page too. Have great a day!

• Valarie73 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 28, 2011
    80. Mar 1, 2011 11:47 AM (in response to gem66)

Well I survived W1D2. Barely. LOL.

I know I shouldn't run two days in a row, but I having a hard time figuring out a schedule that works for me. My days are hectic and I usually try to get to the gym at lunch time, but it all depends on my schedule, which varies daily. Blah blah blah kids, blah blah blah husband in grad school, the excuses never end. So anyway - I gritted my teeth and "ran" today. I think one thing I'm struggling with is what treadmill speed to go. I can do the 4.5 speed [1.0 incline] but it raises my heartrate a little too much. Puts me in about 90th percentile - which I think it a tad too much, right?! I'm doing my brisking walking at about 3.3-3.5, so can I call it my "running" speed at 4.0 even? I dunno. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

So...good news: W1D2 complete. Bad news: I'm tired. The endorphins apparently stayed home today. LOL.

Tomorrow will be a rest day for me - I don't have enough time to get to the gym with all the things on my schedule tomorrow, so it will only be "rest" in that I'm not running. Running around, perhaps, but not on the treadmill. LOL.

- Val

• Run4FunAgain Amateur 12 posts since
    Feb 27, 2011
    81. Mar 1, 2011 12:19 PM (in response to Valarie73)

Nice work Val for getting in Day 2!

As far as your heartrate, your increased speed is for just a short period of time (30-60 sec) (also known as interval training) which is actually a good thing. Now you won't be able to maintain this for long periods of time (hence the short bouts), but it is good to increase your heart rate for short periods such as the interval training we are doing for the C25K. This is what helps to get the condition you need.

Granted performing your workout two days in a row, does not give your body a chance to "repair" itself. That's why they say to take a day off in between, or do a different workout using different muscle groups (running for your lower body) so you could do an upper body workout, yoga or stretching the next day to give your legs a rest. But you'll be resting tomorrow so be sure to do some light stretching of your hamstrings, quadriceps, and calf muscles even if you are a little sore, it will difinitely help!

Again congratulations on getting through Day 2 with your busy schedule : )

Sue

• run4jaci Amateur 10 posts since
    Jan 27, 2011
    82. Mar 1, 2011 12:33 PM (in response to gem66)

I always hate coming to this site and logging in 80000000 times!  I recommend if you are looking for people just like you (as I am one of them) that you should start a blog on blogger.com...it's really a lot of fun to post your pics and ventilations to people who understand what you are going through!!!

Mine is run4jaci.blogspot.com..I started the C25K this week as well!!!!  I hope you join my network and I can't wait to read up on yours!

• wearewebb Rookie 4 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010
    83. Mar 1, 2011 12:39 PM (in response to running4four)

Thanks running4four....by the way, are we supposed to be posting to the FB account instead of this one?  Now that there is more than  one choice I'm confused!!  (Doesn't take much, does it?!?)

• hpeteachny Amateur 19 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    84. Mar 1, 2011 2:27 PM (in response to gem66)

W1D2 DONEZO!!!!!! Feeling good for the time being!  GOOOD LUCK TOMORROW EVERYONE You can do it!!!!!

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the  years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it  always comes back to where it started. It comes down to  self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."
    - Steve Prefontaine

• kalikat Amateur 68 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    85. Mar 1, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to gem66)

Hello everyone,

This is my 3rd time doing the C25K program. I'm hoping this will give me some motivation to stick with it. I'm training for the race for the cure on Mother's Day. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better. I completed my 1st day today. It was tough, but it'll get easier.

Blog: Ms to Mrs. .... and back to Ms.

My story of almost walking down the aisle and the how and why I ran away from it.

C25K Week: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

• kfp47 Rookie 6 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    86. Mar 1, 2011 5:37 PM (in response to gem66)

W1D1 DUNNNNN!

2/28 was my 27th bday and since I make bday resolutions instead of New Years Resolutions, I thought this would be a good program to get my butt in gear!!

I wanted to quit half way through, so proud I didn't! Woot

Looking to repeat customers on this one: How many days in between workouts would be too many? Too few?

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    87. Mar 1, 2011 5:43 PM (in response to k8lu)

I hope everyone doesn't migrate to Facebook...I will miss each and every one of you if you leave here....

K8lu - welcome to the group!

Beth - I feel the same way about feeling out of shape! But hey - you are up and moving now, and feeling it means IT'S WORKING IT!!!!! good for you!!!!

running4four - just work through the soreness! Pain is different than soreness...so as long as it's not "pain"....

amlaboy - I am class of 83 too! Glad there's someone my age here ! ha ha

AshleyRS - half marathon...good for you guys! I don't think I can shoot that high...best regards to you all!!! (icky ice and snow!!! bad, bad snow!!!)

unikay - I love kickboxing too...been a few years since I've done it. I have a Jillian Michaels DVD and she incorporates some...did some Tae Bo with Billy Banks. and also went to a martial arts place to do cardio kickboxing.

Valarie - ok, so I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I AM a nursing student <not to mention was in the public health field for 10 years>....ha ha....so  can you expect me to be quiet? ha ha... I will say that you need to listen to your body and not worry about doing 4.5. There is a target training rate where you get optimal  effects from the workout, if that's what you want. In case you didn't know about target heart rate, I've found this link for you in case you want to look at it:

http://www.cchs.net/health/health-info/docs/0900/0984.asp?index=5508

I wouldn't feel bad about running at 4.0 at all. When I started on the treadmill, that's where I started. Everyone has a different idea and different goals. My personal opinion is that I wanted to do "couch to 5K", not "couch to 6.0 on the treadmill". I decided to work on distance first and get to 5k and run it, then work on improving speed. So, in case you feel the same way, just know you aren't the only one.  And I agree with Sue about giving your legs a day off. It would realy stink if you tried so hard to keep the schedule, but ended up sidelined because of an injury.

kalicat - welcome to the group! Mother's Day - that's a great idea!!!!

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• faithintx Legend 250 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    88. Mar 1, 2011 5:47 PM (in response to kfp47)

kpf47 - WTG!!!!!!!   I don't like to let more than 2 or 3 days go in between (speaking from when I did this last time). Personally, I'd go three days between rather than doing it 2 days in a row. You've got to let your legs recover or it will become counterproductive.  Congrats on getting started!!!!

Completed - W3D3

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't.....either way, you're right.

Do what is unnatural, until it becomes natural.

Medical fact - if you don't use it, you'll lose it.

• TxOkWa Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2011
    89. Mar 1, 2011 5:48 PM (in response to gem66)

Hi all...

Saw this post and read through some of the 6(!) pages...sounds like we all have the same goal in mind!  Can I join??

I restarted C25K on Friday and will finish W1 tomorrow evening.   I did it a few years ago with great success but life and an injury got in the way.  I am doing it primarily for health and fitness but a friend talked me into running in the Komen Race for the Cure 5K on April 9.  Now we have something to work for.  She's just starting as well.

My high school reunion is this fall and I want to wow my classmates...I graduated at over 200 pounds so they have never seen me healthy before.

I teach 8th grade math and we are entering our "stress" season...the next two months are state testing...I noticed on Friday, after a particularly stressful day, that going out for C25K relieved the stress....that, in itself, will be a lifesaver for me!

Cathie

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 14 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...