Skip navigation

1528 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2011 12:59 AM by CoachLarkinIson
CoachJulz Amateur 22 posts since
Feb 27, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 2, 2011 6:56 AM

Coach Julz: Offseason?

What do you do for or with your team/players in the offseason?

• RoyalsSelect Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2011
    1. Jul 13, 2011 7:38 AM (in response to CoachJulz)
    Re: Coach Julz: Offseason?

Hey Coach-

I developed a shooting chart for my 10U team.  We focus on makes not shot attempts.  The goal is 100 makes per day.  About 10,000 makes for the summer.  Along with the shooting chart is dribbling drills and strength and agility drills.

• CoachLarkinIson Amateur 9 posts since
    Jun 15, 2011
    2. Jul 14, 2011 12:59 AM (in response to CoachJulz)
    Re: Coach Julz: Offseason?

I have a younger AAU team...11u (moving to 12U).  We've been playing since last October, and recently wound up our 2011 AAU Spring/Summer Session.  That is approx. 9 months of basketball.   A lot of my guys play football as well, so I take time off with them as a whole, and allow space.  Lost are the days when young athletes can focus on multiple sports, and in a lot of ways that is sad.  I believe cross-training lends in to overall athleticism.  Decisions on which sport a kid wants to focus on, in my opinion, should be made later, and be initiated by the player himself/herself.

The younger guys I coach will be right back on the court, regularly, in October.  That is only 2 1/2-3 months away.  Those that want to build their games will stay in the gym, and on the court.  My son, for instance, plays daily.  He does a dribbling routine, and gets up so many "makes" a day.  He also runs daily, and does various strength exercises: core work, plyometrics, distance & sprint running, pushups, and pull-ups.  I helped him devise the workout plan, but he does these things on his own.  He's also going into his last year of recreation (Pee-Wee 11-13 Yr old Division) football.  He's also preparing for that, as his interest is beginning to crossover to include the other sport he loves.

I will do open gyms throughout the summer, and get the guys together for some gym time.  But, for my younger guys...it's pretty much "see you in late Fall".  They need the break.  Anything they do between seasons to develop their games, at this point, is better served stemming from their own passion for the sport.

Coach Ison,

http://youthstudentathlete.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points