Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2075 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 3, 2011 12:18 PM by rocdoc50
HelenM2002 Pro 153 posts since
Jul 17, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 4, 2010 9:30 AM

100 Days until my first half-marathon!

I just looked at my calendar and realized that my 100 day countdown starts today! (Don't worry, I won't be doing a daily thread to count it down!)  I will be doing the Breast Cancer Half Marathon in Jacksonville (FL) on 20/13/11, and am super excited!

I am just about on target with my training plan, and have a few issues to address (such as toe cramps & blisters during a 10K), but will experiment with some new socks and the anti-chafe products (thanks to Surfing_Vol and Lenzlaw for the recs!). But it's better to be experimenting now than the week before the race!

Thank you all for the advice and inspiration you give!

~Helen

• SElaine13 Amateur 18 posts since
    Oct 15, 2007
    1. Nov 10, 2010 1:03 PM (in response to HelenM2002)
    Re: 100 Days until my first half-marathon!

I will see you in Jacksonville then - running my first full marathon!  I am sure you got great advice for your blisters - I use Aquaphor or Bodyglide for chafing.  I also wear good fitting running socks (Feetures are my favorite brand) and replace them often!

Enjoy the journey!

SMS

• rocdoc50 Legend 240 posts since
    Oct 4, 2007
    2. Nov 19, 2010 11:52 AM (in response to HelenM2002)

Helen,

Good luck on your first half-marathon!  I'm sure you will do well and really enjoy the event.  My advice to you is to not put too much pressure on yourself and continue to tell yourself that you are not trying to set any records but have a great time.  Keep up with your training and have fun!

Oct 4, 2007
    4. Mar 3, 2011 5:34 AM (in response to HelenM2002)

How did your first half go Helen?

• John425 Pro 184 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    6. Mar 3, 2011 9:32 AM (in response to HelenM2002)

Hi Helen,

If you haven't considered it, I just ran the Gasparilla half marathon in Tampa and I highly recommend it as a "must do". The expo is great and the spectators and volunteers are out of this world, and the scenery is wonderful.  There are more than enough aid stations with gatorade and water, one with Gu (I use sport beans and took my own) and each aid station had three or four port-a-potty's.  My only issue was with the runners themselves and is one present at all races I participated in, that is slower runners taking a starting spot nearer the front and blocking faster runners.  They apparently don't realize that if they let the faster runners get away first, then, the mob thins out faster.

HelenM2002 wrote:

Hey rocdoc! Unfortunately, I ended up not doing it, but I'm gearing up for one in October, and one in November! I may skip the October one (it's on a Saturday, and if my son plays soccer, the games are on Saturdays) but I'm definitely doing the one in November -- they even have a kids' marathon, which my son is very excited about!

My goal is to do 5 HMs before I turn 50, which will be in January 2017.

Oct 4, 2007
    8. Mar 3, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to John425)

Helen - I'll be hitting the big 50 two years ahead of you!  I'm not sure what part of the world you reside in but here in Tampa (home of the Gasparilla) we usually have a boatload of races to choose from.  It doesn't hurt that it is a nice vacation destination.  Like John, I ran the Gasparilla Distance Classic this year and it was spectacular!  The weather cooperating was huge but the overall organization of the race was (I thought) better this year than any other.  This would be a great first half because you get PLENTY of support from elementary,middle and high schools kids cheering you on to spectators doing the same.  What makes this even better is that that is the way it is through 90 percent of the race.  Also they have plenty of water/gatorade stops, porta-potties, gu/energy bars, and a HUGE finisher medal.  On top of all this, they have lots of food to eat after the race.  It really is a very festive event.  October and November are great times for halfs so you should be able to pick and choose one you like.  As far as doing 5 halfs before 2017, I have a funny feeling once you get into it you will do more than that by that time.

John425 - Sounds like you enjoyed the Gasparilla also.  We may have passed each other somewhere out there.  That situation with the slower runners impeding the faster runners path was a hot issue.  I think better education on running etiquette is needed for this race.  I'm sure many first timers may have not known the rules to proper running positioning.  Based on the responses the race commission received, I am sure they will rectify this in the future.  It looks like I might be seeing you at the Space Coast Marathon in November as that is where I want to do my first Marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...