Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

913807 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 126 127 128 129 130 ... 297 Previous Next
  • TX248 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 2, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,905. Mar 2, 2011 11:54 AM (in response to SteveBikeRun)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Want to share a motivational quote that gets me moving,

"You can't have results and excuses, you must chose."

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    1,906. Mar 2, 2011 6:30 PM (in response to Donna914)

Here is an article that addresses an issue I brought up earlier this week, Runner's Trots (cute name huh).  http://www.iawr-connect.com/training/dreadeddiarrhea/

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• Addiasramses Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 3, 2011
    1,907. Mar 3, 2011 2:39 PM (in response to MamaBear56)

Has anyone ever done a warrior dash or mud  run? What are they like?

My friend wants me to team up in the gladiator5k coming in May in North Carolina.

I've ran 2 normal 5ks and im in average shape but don't know if I should try it. Don't wanna embarass myself.. LOL

• Frankierunner28 Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 16, 2009
    1,908. Mar 3, 2011 4:18 PM (in response to TX248)

Thanks for the info TX. I'll look them up and some of them are kind of pricey, but I will look around on craiglist and other sites to see if i could get an used one. Maybe I get lucky and get it now before next winter or I can just simply changed my Honda Accord for an SUV and make sure I'll get to the gym next winter, LOL

• onetrixie Amateur 22 posts since
    Dec 28, 2010
    1,909. Mar 3, 2011 6:35 PM (in response to TX248)

I started reading John Bingham's "Courage To Start" book today and it is really interesting and an easy read. He has loads of inspirational thoughts included and he is so encouraging for all of us Penguins.

Trixie

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,910. Mar 3, 2011 6:53 PM (in response to onetrixie)

Hi Everbody, I was able to get out and ran 5.5 this morning, and tomorrow will be easy 2 mile.

• theconster Expert 47 posts since
    Nov 30, 2010
    1,911. Mar 3, 2011 9:44 PM (in response to flamomof3)

hey flamomof3...

congrats on your 5m today...this week has been tough for me. tuesday was good run, but my quads started hurting while running, but did the longest i've ever done...2.8miles...short mileage for some, i suppose...

yesterday did 2 zumba classes then tried to run short, just a mile, but was still having quad issues and decided to walk on treadmill instead. today i couldn't workout due to family health concerns, and unsure about tomorrow. i'm signing up to do a 2mile run in april. it's only a fam fun run vs the 10k, but it's a start, and it's for a good cause. besides, a friend of mine said she'd run the first couple 2 mile races with me...i think that's cool.

keep up the good work!

theconster!

Completed Races:

RACE for GRACE-2m Fun Run-4/9/11 (35:03:49)-Grand Island, NE

Richard H. Young Hospital's 5k or 10k walk or run for Mental Health-10k run 5/14/11 (1:47:00)-Kearney, NE

Buffalo County Stampede-2011-Half Marathon 6/12/11 (4:04:00) - (Late Start)-Kearney, NE

18th Annual Olympiad-5k 6/25/11 (49:44)-Kearney, NE

Shelton Stampede-2011-5k 7/4/11 (49:26 pr)-Shelton, NE

Lizzie's Run 5k- 8/13/11 (48:44 pr)-Kearney, NE

Kilometers for C.O.P.S. 5k *inaugural*-8/28/11 (51:52:88 chip), (52:05:59 end) - (First altitude 5k)-Golden, CO

Running To Cure Breast Cancer 10k-9/5/11 (1:43:43 official-pr)-North Platte, NE

Pending Races:

Susan G Komen Race for the Cure 5k-Oct 2

Rebecca Adams Green Foundation Cow-Pie 5k/Half marathon Oct.15

• SloMo2 Expert 54 posts since
    Nov 28, 2010
    1,912. Mar 3, 2011 10:08 PM (in response to theconster)

Hi, theconster.  The short course triathlon that I have done in Nebraska is the Iron Horse Tri in North Platte, and I have done it twice.  I like this one because the course is easy and flat (unless you do the longer course, in which case the bike part has some hills), both the participants and the organizers/volunteers are very friendly, the event is very family-oriented and not so much cut-throat competitive, and the event is friendly to slow people.  And if you don't want to swim the water part, you can do water walking.  I highly recommend this to anyone who has never done a triathlon before.  I did not do it last year, but did it the two previous years, and yes, I think I came in last both times.  This was recommended to me by someone, and I am glad they did.   I believe the website is www.npironhorsetri.com  The last time I checked, they did not have information for this year's event, so I don't know if they are doing it this year or not.  It is usually held around the last part of July or the first part of August.  I may do it this year, but I don't know yet. If I come that way this year, I will try to meet up with you.  I live about 5 hours from Kearney, and 6 from North Platte.

I also did a 10k once in Omaha as part of the Omaha marathon, but I didn't like some of the volunteers and the organization, so I never did that one again.

I did 3 miles today - mostly walking with a little bit of jogging.  I probably should have done more, but at least I did something.  The half marathon I am planning on doing is in about 2 months, so I really need to step it up.  I may also be doing a 4 mile run in April, although I haven't decided on that yet.  I tend to decide on whether or not I will do local races right before they happen, which I know is bad, as they can sometimes sell out.  But I don't think there is a limit on this one, so I should be ok.

• RunningItOff.com Expert 50 posts since
    Feb 6, 2010
    1,913. Mar 4, 2011 5:37 AM (in response to Addiasramses)

I am wondering the same thing about the Warrior Dash.  There's one in MA in June that I am considering.  However, I really worry that I don't have the arm strength to get over a wall obstacle.  I won't care about how long it takes to do the course, I just don't want to embarass myself either!

My running and weight loss adventure is chronicled at:

http://www.RunningItOff.com

• jjv1946 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    1,914. Mar 4, 2011 5:51 AM (in response to Donna914)

I retired last year and in October of last year I decided to start jogging and walking.  I have never ran before and on a whim I decided

to run the 2011 Half Marathon in Pittsburgh.  I will be 65 this year and I could use any advice that anyone can give me.  I have been

running and walking 4 days a week and I can do 2 miles in 30 minutes.  They have a 3 hour limit for the half marathon and I would

like to finish the half marathon a little bit below the 3 hour limit.  Thanks for any advice you can send!!!  jjv1946

• TX248 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 2, 2009
    1,915. Mar 4, 2011 6:21 AM (in response to jjv1946)

jjv1946 - congrats on your big goal! I'm super impressed and wish you the very best!! I suggest reading The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer, http://www.amazon.com/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299248092&sr=8-1. It prepares you for a full marathon, but if you your goal is the 1/2, it will work just fine too. It's inspiring and interesting. The book talks about a couple of professors who decided to start offering a semester long class with the sole purpose of everyone running a marathon by the end. Most people had never run before and the ages and weights varied. The reason I like this book so much is because it trains you mentally as well as physically. Hope you enjoy it.

On another note, I'm doing my very first 5k race tomorrow in flash flood conditions. I don't plan to run the whole thing, as I'm not yet there in my training. But I wanted to get one under my belt for the experience. Hopefully it's not cancelled.

Happy running this weekend.

• TeamRocket Amateur 14 posts since
    Sep 3, 2009
    1,916. Mar 4, 2011 6:37 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hello to all! I was looking for a site for running & this was calling my name! I've been running off&on for 2 yrs now-unfortunately injuries keep getting in the way.Started with tibial plateau stress fracture then last summer broke my big toe.I started back consistently at the beginning of the year & so far injury free!!! This year I decided to take the step & signed up for races.Considering this week I turned 45 I should try something so I registered for the local 1/2 marathon! Big step but-why not go big!!  I have 2 dgts left in highschool, 1 in college(they all run track as well)guess that makes us a family of runners! Well one question I have for all is it more water I need to extend my running time or is that all mental? At present my longest run is 3-31/2m. I do take a short walk break or two still. How many miles per wk should I get to to be ready for the 1/2?           For those having problems with shin pain-I can tell you if your shoe laces rae to tight it causes your shins to be tight & painful. Also building strength in the calves & shins helps alot.When I ran track in school we used a paint can.sit on a counter or desk,hold the paint can(handle) with your foot,then just raise the can up& down.It helps strengthen the muscles in the front of the lower leg withut having to spend money on excercise equipment.Also crosstraining on a bike helps.                   Well hurray for everyone & keep moving forward!!!   Laura

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,917. Mar 4, 2011 8:47 AM (in response to TeamRocket)

Welcome to all of our new Penguins!

Laura, you need a weekly mileage of at least 18-24 miles per week in order to train for a HM. You also need to build a solid running base with progressive long runs topping out at a minimum of 12 miles for your longest run and preferable 13 miles. A HM if very grueling physically, but even more so mentally! I suggest that you follow a good 12 week HM training program in order to be the best prepared that you can be for the event and especially since you have had some problems with injuries.

I am in awe of all of you that are planning HM's so early in your running! I was hesitant about running my first one after a year and training for 13 weeks!

Just be careful and be as prepared as you can be in the time you have to train before your event!

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• jmam1010 Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 3, 2008
    1,918. Mar 4, 2011 9:06 AM (in response to RunningItOff.com)

I did the Warrior Dash in November.  I was worried about the wall too b/c I have no arm strength.  Each course is different but the wall we encountered you practically could walk over it!  We had to climp up a big net but that was pretty easy too.  The hardest part for me was jumping over the fire!  I was fine until it was actually my turn and it looked so high and wide...but I just went for it!  It was one of the best races I have ever done.  So much fun and SO many laughs!  There were all kinds of people doing it on various fitness levels from the complete athlete to the complete non-athlete and everyone was having a great time!  Have fun!

"Our running shoes are really erasers. Every step erases a memory of a past failure. Every mile brings us closer to a clean slate. Each footstrike rubs away a word, a look, or an event that led us to believe that success was beyond our grasp." ~John Bingham

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,919. Mar 4, 2011 1:47 PM (in response to Donna914)

The Little Rock Marathon is this weekend. If not for my #%*&@#@$ injury, I had planned to run the LR 5k.   I went to the LR Marathon Expo this afternoon. It really gets you psyched up!  They still had 37 slots open for the 5 k and it was all I could do to  not sign up.  I had visions of just walking it for the heck of it, but I know me and I would be running in no time and then I'd be laid up for another month or more.  Patience Jack, patience.

So walking around there was one vendor that had a poop load of shirts. There was two different Penguin style of shirts: Long sleeve, short sleeve, and singlet in each. One said something like "I'm slow. I know. Get over it!" One said "just waddling along" and I think the other said, "I AM running my race pace"!   If you want to look at the shirts that they have, here's the URL:    http://onemoremile.net/    Its kind of fun to look at the different stuff.  They have a page just for "Penguins"!

They had the marathon medal on display. It was HUGE. It looked like a fancy hub cap!.

I was in a mood to pick up a shirt, so I got a short sleve techincal shirt that says:

I'm only

half crazy!

Under the influence of runners and the excitement of being around hunderds of kindred spirits, I decided that  I would sign up for next years  LR Half.  The shirt would be my reminder and inspiration..   I was going to wait until I had one or more comfortable 10 mile training runs under my belt before I signed up for a half, but I figure that a year is plenty to get in good enough shape to run the distance. It may be slow but I'll complete it on my feet (not in the meat wagon),  I'll  look for  some 10 k's and a ten miler this fall to gauge my progress. Its good to have goals.

Jack

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...