Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

855 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Mar 17, 2011 5:11 AM by pamburrus RSS
mrshale03 Rookie 2 posts since
Feb 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 6, 2011 7:25 PM

Question for parents who enjoy 5k runs/races

If you are a parent and you participate in different 5K runs/races in the Baltimore and DC area, would you take advantage of onsite babysitting offered while you run in a race/event so your kiddo could join you in the festivities and fun after the run?  Not like a daycare, just someone to play a few games with your kid until you have completed your run, 30 min to an hour.

My kid is too young to run with me, but old enough to have a blast in the activities after the run/race.  For those of us who don’t have family close, finding childcare for morning weekends is hard and expensive.  I don’t think I am the only one with this problem, so I am thinking about starting a business that offers care (games or race watching) for kids over 3 while parents run.  Small fee, small kid to adult ratio, safety measures followed… I just want to ask if there are people out there right now that would take advantage of this opportunity?

• pamburrus Pro 136 posts since
    May 14, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Mar 17, 2011 5:11 AM (in response to mrshale03)
    Re: Question for parents who enjoy 5k runs/races

I think this is an AMAZING idea!!!!   I have thought of brining someone to the race to watch my daughter while I ran - but what a great business idea!!!

Some races are jogging stroller friendly - but sometimes we want to hit a time goal and/or the course isn't really as suited for jogging strollers as they say.

My friend and I just started a 'moms only' running group and I WISH we were in your area! Right now our main area is Newnan/Peachtree City in Georgia but we are quickly growing throughtout georgia and hopefully through the US so if you do get a business started - send me a message on facebook (www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown) and let us know the details!

Great idea!!  Hope it works for you and hope someone will start something similar in our area!

Pam

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PR's (post kid haha)

Beat the Street for Little Feet 5k: 26:34

Big Peach Sizzler 10K: 52:21

Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon: 1:55:02 (first and only other than one that I ran with a friend to pace her)

Soldier Marathon: 4:09:16 (first and only so far...)

Check our our nation-wide running group for moms!

www.momsrunthistown.com or https://www.facebook.com/momsrunthistown

Moms RUN This Town (MRTT) is a 'moms only' running club started by moms.... for moms... to support moms in their running endeavors.

Our goal is to help to keep you motivated no matter where you are in your running - whether starting the c25k program or training for a marathon.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points