Skip navigation

3348 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 16, 2011 9:06 PM by ShortguyKJ
ShortguyKJ Amateur 11 posts since
Dec 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 2, 2011 3:07 PM

Shud i share it or keep it ?

When i play with a team i usually pass around the ball, if i do take any shots its probly 2-4 shots ...some ppl wonder y i dnt score. I can score but dnt want to be selfish with the ball. Shud i take more oppertunities to score instead of passing around the ball so much?

Ps I haven't been playing much team bball until now. I think its really hurting my offensive stats now that i dnt score.

• center23 Amateur 26 posts since
    Dec 29, 2010
    1. Mar 2, 2011 6:03 PM (in response to ShortguyKJ)
    Re: Shud i share it or keep it ?

One old coach of mine gave me some fantastic advice once, and this was our team code too. " If you're open, shoot. If someone has a better shot than you, pass. If you have a lane, take it. We're a team, we're all good, and no one is the star, therefore no one should have the arrogance to be a ballhog."

This was the first thing he ever told us and I've been abiding by that rule ever since. So to break it down, do what's best for the team, not just you or the people you pass to. For example, if you guys are down 1 with 30 seconds to go and you and some dude on your team have the same shot and can both make it, don't feel like a ballhog to take the shot. But if you're in the same situation but you're covered, the other guy isn't, and you're contimplating passing the ball, you should because it's best for the TEAM!!!!!!

• RoughRider4Life2 Amateur 10 posts since
    Feb 18, 2011
    2. Mar 4, 2011 12:18 PM (in response to ShortguyKJ)

@lezgoheat  You took the words right outta my mouth. LOL  That's exactly what my coach says to me when I tell him that I don't like to shoot every three I'm open for.  He says that I'm being selfish by notshooting when I'm open because I'm giving away an opportunity for my team to score.  So basically, any time you have an open, quality shot, take it because another opportunity might not come in that possesion.  Hope that helped!

~*Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard*~

• Sofie04 Expert 53 posts since
    Feb 5, 2011
    3. Mar 4, 2011 4:25 PM (in response to ShortguyKJ)

I hate shooting when i'm open,espesially the shots i know i can't make, but then my coach gets mad at me.

I mean really, do what you can to help your team. It depends on the game.

If your team is making their shots early on, then you know passing to open guys is good. If your having a good day, shoot more.

The best thing you can do is split passing and shooting evenly.

• Dman234 Amateur 19 posts since
    Jan 25, 2011
    6. Mar 7, 2011 6:12 AM (in response to ShortguyKJ)

Look itz ur boy ddman234 and im jus tellin u that in order for ur offensive shots to take action and practice ur shots each and every day and hit 1000 shots jus to get the flow right with ur shots and jus get ur shot right

• Phenom70 Legend 574 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    7. Mar 7, 2011 4:27 PM (in response to Dman234)

Take what the defense gives you. You sound like a PG.

So, just make sure you have a respectable jumper, meaning that if you have space, you can knock it down. And, being a scorer will open up the floor better for your teammates to improve and do well also, so if they're complaining that you're ball hogging, let them know that you feel that you can create a lot of opportunities for them by playing your game.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points