Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1211 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 8, 2011 5:11 AM by camcat82
kalikat Amateur 68 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2011 6:40 PM

Bronchitis, Asthma, Weather Related Question

Hello everyone:

I'm a multiple failed C25K'er. And I'm worried I'm going to fail again. At this point, I can't even do the 60 second run segments. In the past I've done the C25K on a treadmill but I never really enjoyed it. So I started running out side.Temps in Southwestern PA have been in the 30s and 40s. But one more caveat, I recently got over bronchitis/sinus infection (as in stopped taking my meds this past weekend).  So I'm not sure if I'm so out of shape I can't do the C25K and need to do the Nike+ 12 week intro to running plan(1st 4 weeks focus more on walking) or if my chest infection coupled with the crappy weather (temps in 30 to 40s) and being a chronic asthma suffer is adding to the mix, making running outdoors a bit more challenging.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do or what their thoughts are regarding this?

Blog: Ms to Mrs. .... and back to Ms.

My story of almost walking down the aisle and the how and why I ran away from it.

C25K Week: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

• glassgirl33 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    1. Mar 7, 2011 8:22 PM (in response to kalikat)
    Re: Bronchitis, Asthma, Weather Related Question

Being an asthma sufferer I really sympathize with you!  If you haven't asked your doctor, I'd strongly suggest that you do so.  The cold air alone can trigger the asthma and getting over bronchitis leaves your system pretty weak.  Don't set yourself for failure by trying to push your body too hard right now.  If you can't do the 60 sec. segments, your body might be telling you to back off and just walk for a few days, slowly adding the running back into the mix.  It's no big deal if you take longer to complete each week.  And if you walk for a few weeks, the weather will be a few degrees warmer and you will have gotten some energy back after your bout with bronchitis.

• glassgirl33 Amateur 17 posts since
    Mar 5, 2011
    2. Mar 7, 2011 8:24 PM (in response to glassgirl33)

Oh, I forgot to add that I use my rescue inhaler before I run and it helps prevent an asthma attack.  My asthma has dramatically improved in the time I've been doing C25K and I'll bet yours will too if you can get over this beginning hurdle!

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    3. Mar 8, 2011 5:11 AM (in response to kalikat)

I also find it helps a lot to use my puffer before a run when my asthma is playing up. And I take it with me regardless when I'm running outdoors just in case, as there are a lot of things that can cause an attack and I'd much rather have it just in case.

In your case, I'd say outdoor running would certainly make things harder for you. Running itself after bronchitis can be hard - let alone with asthma and cold weather to boot. I would take it easy and let your body recover a bit before pushing to hard.

Whether that means doing the nike program you mentioned before or sticking with the C25K but walking more of the intervals than running until you're feeling up to running them would be up to you and what you think your body can handle. There would be no shame in repeating W1 and adding a run as you feel you can till you get up to the point to go to W2. It depends on how you think you'd go though - you could just do 2 or 3 of the intervals and walk the others, or every second one or whatever you think you could handle, then you could do that and increase till you can run them all then carry on with the program. If you really don't feel as though you can manage the 60 second intervals yet then it'd probably be better to go with the nike program till you're recovered more - but only you know what you can cope with.

Whichever choice you make thought won't be a failure - a detour perhaps but you'll still complete the journey in the end - just think positive.

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...