Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4497 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Mar 28, 2011 5:17 AM by teej213 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
teej213 Amateur 20 posts since
Mar 6, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 7, 2011 4:32 PM

1st 5k March 26....NERVOUS

I am on W9D2 and have just signed up for my very first 5k on March 26. I still haven't gotten to 3.1 on the treadmill and am starting to freak out that my body may not be able to handle the road race. Not sure if I should start running outside to prepare for the 5k or keep on the treadmill to make sure that my knees/shins/back are in good shape for the 26th. Also not sure whether to have someone run with me or to try to conquer it by myself with my ipod. I honestly didn't think I would actually make it to week 9....and never imagined actually running a race. I had back surgery 10 years ago and started this program after I had to ask a friend to run with my 9 y/o daughter in her 1st girls on the run 5k because I couldn't do it.

Put your shoes on, put one foot in front of the other and believe in yourself!

C25K Grad 3/10/11

1st 5k Habitrot For Humanity Concord, NC 3/26/11 34:39 11:10pace

• travelinmann Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    1. Mar 7, 2011 5:13 PM (in response to teej213)
    Re: 1st 5k March 26....NERVOUS

Good luck with your 5K. I know myself that I have to train outside, to get in better running condition. I know it is hard to get outside because of the weathe, but it will help you complete the course. I nusually run by myself, but that is more because I can't get any friends that share the fun in running. I will be running my first marathon in St. Louis in April.

• emiss Pro 70 posts since
    Feb 7, 2011
    2. Mar 7, 2011 5:19 PM (in response to teej213)

Congratulations on making it this far!  I know how you feel; I'm running my first 5K on the 19th and I have never run outside (it's still snow covered here) and I haven't made it to 3.1 yet on the treadmill.  But, for me the motivation to get out there and at least get started in the world of races, no matter what my time is what motivated me to get through the C25K.  As for running outside vs inside, from everything I've seen here I'd say if you can get outside that would be best, but that would depend on where you live (if you're like me under snow and a solid inch of ice it may not work).  As for ipod vs. a person with you, I don't know.  I've thought about both but I'm opting for the ipod because I know otherwise I'd worry about holding someone back, or I'd go too fast out of the gate to try to keep pace.  I just feel like that first race might be best taking solo, but then, never having done it myself I really have no idea.  Whatever you decide just pat yourself on the back for getting this far and have fun!

Completed Races:

3/19/11 Holy Grail 5K 36:20 (First 5K)

4/10/11 Wellness 5K 30:48

4/23/11 Stonyfield 5K 30:28

5/7/11 Dover 5K: 29:39

5/23/11 Get Fit in May 5K 29:44

5/29/11 Redhook 5K 29:32 (PR)

6/11/11 Market Square 10K 1:08:40 (First 10K)

8/18/11 Saunders 10K 1:07:35.49

9/5/11 St. Charles Childrens' Run: 29:54

9/10 Fox Point 5 Mile: 49:03

9/25 Holy Grail 5K: 32:33 (with bronchitis)

10/9 Great Island 5K 32:54.23 (still with bronchitis)

11/13 Seacoast 1/2 Marathon: 2:31:39 (1st 1/2 Marathon)

1/1/12 First Run 10K 1:4:45 (PR)

2012 Races:

2/19/12 Half at the Hamptons 2:28:18 PR

3/24/12 Holy Grail 5K 28:17 PR

4/21/12Whale of a 5K (first trail race) 30:24

3/30/12April Fools 4 Miler 36:39 (9:10mm)

6/12/12 Margaritas 5K 27:52 (9mm) PR

• karwood Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 29, 2010
    3. Mar 7, 2011 5:21 PM (in response to teej213)

Good luck to you!! Im running my first 5K this weekend!  Im nervous too.  I have been doing a lot of my running on a treadmill (sometimes outside weather permitting).....today was outside and its a lot harder than the treadmill.  I can not keep a good steady pace running outside, I tend to speed up and slow down.

I am running myself also....my daughter was going to run with me, but she chickened out! LOL  Now, she has decided to watch!

• sullygirl802 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    5. Mar 7, 2011 6:34 PM (in response to teej213)

Isn't it exciting!  I entered my first 5k five months ago just to push myself to continue running. I have run a 5k each month since. Not easy to find one in the winter but they are still fun, just wet. I would suggest not running with the ipod and just let the sound of all of those feet and all that breathing set your rhythm for you. Don't worry about slowing down! As long as you keep going (running, walking) and don't come to a stop you will finish!  Don't worry about your time and certainly don't worry about not speaking to your running partner - you should both agree to just go individually at your own pace and meet up at the end - you won't really be able to carry on much of a conversation anyways.  Last advice - start out in the middle of the pack and make yourself go just a little slower than you think you should. If you don't you will be winded very quickly.  And I wouldn't worry about the treadmill. I run on it all the time then go outside just for the races. I actually run slower on a treadmill so my race times always make me happy!   Good luck!!

• kalikat Amateur 68 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    6. Mar 7, 2011 6:42 PM (in response to teej213)

I don't have any real advice other than to say congrats on making it to W9D2! What an inspiration to all us super beginners. Be sure to let us know how the 5k goes. I signed up for one in May 2011.

Blog: Ms to Mrs. .... and back to Ms.

My story of almost walking down the aisle and the how and why I ran away from it.

C25K Week: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9

• camcat82 Pro 67 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    7. Mar 8, 2011 5:26 AM (in response to teej213)

Congrats on making it this far! You'll do fine in your race regardless I'm sure

I have to do a lot of my runs on the treadmill too. It's the easiest way for me to manage them more often than not as between my hubby working  (leaving me with our 3 children that I have to look after) and the hot weather we have here (not a good mix with my low blood pressure lol) it's often difficult to get out for my runs.

I did notice that my outdoor runs where a lot harder for me than my treadmill ones though and decided I'd need to put some effort into getting some more outdoor practice before my first race (in May) so that I'd be a little more prepared. So I'm aiming to get outdoor runs in instead of treadmill ones whenever hubby is home to watch the kids - even though that generally means heading out at 5.30 in the morning to beat the heat. (I tell ya, I'm looking forward to winter when I can run in the middle of the day in the rain!). I also did some reading/research and general opinion seems to be that by setting the treadmill on a slight incline it mimics outdoor running a little better. Everything I've read says just an incline of 1 helps, although I've been putting mine on 2 the last couple of runs. It did make it a little harder than normal so hopefully it is helping a bit.

No matter how you go on the day though you'll get to the end, even if you have to walk some of it. Believe that you can do it and you will - and if you're kind to yourself just getting to the end will be a big achievement and a great first step in your future running life

Busy mum, but loving it

My blog - www.runningbeginners.net

- Every day I'm reminded that perfection doesn't exist, and to strive for perfection will only defeat you. I want to be better than I was today and not as good as I'll be tomorrow -

First race entered 4.5K on May 22nd - looking forward to it!

Currently doing C25K - W4D2 completed

• spazzticd Rookie 6 posts since
    May 14, 2009
    8. Mar 8, 2011 6:47 AM (in response to teej213)

I love all the positive posts on this website. I find it very helpful!!

I too am signed up for my first 5k this weekend. It's a St. Patrick's Day 5K along the water a couple towns over. I am nervous but excited at the same time. I have never been a runner and have been building myself up over the past couple months and am able to consistantly finish 3.2 miles on the treadmill, usually at a 10 minute mile which is a huge deal for me.  I ran out side for the first time last weekend. I suggest you try it outside at least once before your race as I found it quite a deal harder than I'd expected. It took a couple days to recover and I used Yoga the following day to help my body loosen up and stretch. I find yoga is a great cross trainer to compliment running because it loosens up all those tight muscles. As far as iPod vs. running partner - I think you should go with what you feel comfortable with. Even with a running partner - you might not run at the same pace as them so you might find yourself alone anyway - but you're never really alone - you'll be surrounded by "running parnters" that you've just never formally introduced yourself to!  A friend of mine who has been a huge support has run a lot, including a few marathons. He tells me that you find yourself settling into a group of runners that are at the same level as you and just go with it. If you have to walk, then that's fine too!  The important part is that you're out there, not sitting at home in front of the TV!!!  I'm 29. I wasn't "Obese" but I was "overweight" and have lost 22 lbs and am now at the high end of "normal" for my height and weight. Every step is a challenge, but I'm learning to love it. I congradulate you in your effort and wish you nothing but the very best. Just remember - keep moving one foot in front of the other and you're doing just fine! 

Races Completed:

2'nd Annual Piggy Trot 3.7 Miler - 5/22/11 - 30:49

YPD Blue 5k, Run for a Reason - 5/15/11 - 26:31

Cape Abilities 5k - 5/14/11 - 25:11

Brewster in Bloom 5k - 4/30/11 - 26:24

Officer Thomas Guinta Memorial 5k - 4/3/11 - 29:40

St. Patrick's Day Falmouth 5000 5k - 03/12/11 - 30:12

Upcoming Races:

Barnstable Police Officer Michael Aselton 5k - 5/29/11

Women Running Wild 5k - 6/18/11

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    9. Mar 8, 2011 8:57 AM (in response to teej213)

Guess what - you've signed up for a race.  Do you know how many people will never even do that?  There is no rule out there that says you can't walk some.  Don't feel like you need to go out and destroy the world.  Go out there and have some fun.  Be proud of what you're doing and enjoy the company that race day brings.  A race atmosphere is amazing and you'll want to enjoy those moments.

• Arldavey Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    10. Mar 8, 2011 12:03 PM (in response to flyzippio)

What is the start line like ? I just signed up for one on the 26th also.

• richdaley Amateur 31 posts since
    Feb 18, 2010
    11. Mar 8, 2011 12:44 PM (in response to Arldavey)

The starting line has been different in each of the 5K races I have run.  The last one I did (the first one that I really jogged the whole way) was very narrow.  The organizers had planned for 200-300 people and ended up with 600!  I started the run tracking thing on my phone and it took me over a minute to get from my place at the middle of the pack to through the starting gate once the gun had gone off.

The two races I did in Philly were packed at the starting line and it is so much fun because the spectators and the runners start yelling and cheering when the gun fires.

To the original poster - I would plan ahead to walk some of the race if you haven't run outside.  I was in a similar position at my first 5K.  I worked out on the treadmill only and at my first race I started by running for 5 minutes and then walking for 2 and even then I ended up walking the final 1/3 of the race.  Just make sure you save a little in the tank so that you can run across the finish line.  It usually isn't too hard because people are cheering as you reach the end (and in my case, I am fortunate that many people have already finished and are there to cheer me on lol). 

I have always tried to get my wife to run but she never sticks with it.  I just take my phone and listen to music just like when I run at home.  I have a couple of songs that I find inspiring and I know the length of them so I know that if I am bogged down with 8 minutes left, I listen to a 4 minute song that I like twice.  I would try to make run day as much like your regular workout as possible.

4/10/2010 Stroehmann Bakeries Walk/Run Against Hunger, Philadelphia, PA - 52:21

4/25/2010 Spackenkill High School TA 5K, Poughkeepsie NY - 45:33

2/12/2011 Cupid's Chase 5K, Philadelphia PA - 40:45

Upcoming:

4/9/2011 Stroehmann Bakeries Walk/Run Against Hunger 5K, Philadelphia, PA

September of 2011 - Dutchess County Classic Half Marathon, Poughkeepsie, NY

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Mar 25, 2011 9:57 AM (in response to teej213)

You've made it this far! You will be fine! I know you will be nervous... I'm sure just about every person that runs gets nervous so remember to have fun

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    14. Mar 25, 2011 1:09 PM (in response to teej213)

Congrats to you and to the others who are going through the C25K program, and have signed up for their first 5K as well.  As someone has stated, the fact that you signed up for the 5K is very important in itself.  I know how hard it is to relax before your first race, thinking that you may not be able to finish it.  Depending on the start of the race you may have to walk a bit before the crowd thins out enough for you to get your groove on.  So just walk, smile and cheer others around you as I know they will be dong the same for you.  All 5Ks I have been in have people who will walk the entire distance - my first 5K was done walking entirely as I hadn't started running at that point, just walking pretty fast - so you won't be last, if that is a fear of yours.  The road will be different than a treadmill, but the thrill of being with a lot of people will get you going and you will find yourself going faster than you planned.  Try to channel that down a bit and let the fun soak in.  If you want take a camera with you and take pictures of people and of the mile markers that you will pass.  In my first half marathon in January that is what I did, taking pictures of the mile markers as I passed them.  As you are about to cross the finish line take a picture of that area and you will see how many people, strangers mostly, are cheering you on.  So enjoy it and good luck so far on your achievements.  There are many more to come so enjoy each and every one of them.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This