Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

81335 Views 508 Replies Latest reply: Aug 2, 2011 8:55 AM by SweetInsurgent RSS Go to original post 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 Previous Next
  • urun2me Pro 194 posts since
    Jun 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    495. Nov 28, 2010 6:56 PM (in response to urun2me)
    Re: (Re-)Starting C25k May 23rd... anyone else?

Oh, forgot to add that the long runs do require a morning. Most of the time I did them early in the morning due to the heat, so it didn't take too much time away from sleeping family members. You just have to think of it as personal time that you deserve. You probably won't be doing it every weekend forever, so take the time and enjoy it as you prepare for your half. If you are anything like me, you are much easier to be around after a nice long run, so you might even consider that you are doing something nice for your family by creating a happy person!

On race day, remember that you haven't done this on your own. You've had the help and support of a lot of wonderful people. It will help carry you through.

• SweetInsurgent Pro 128 posts since
    Jun 22, 2010
    496. Nov 29, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to urun2me)

I took my running stuff to my sisters for the holiday with every intention of running on Black Friday, but.... alas, there was so much SNOW in Pullman, WA, I didn't think it would be safe.

Started C25k  - 5/26/10

Finished C25k - 7/23/10

1st 5k "Viking Vengence" - 7/29/10 - 41:25, 3rd Place Women Ages 35-39, 99th overall

2nd 5k "CATnip Friday" - 8/13/10 - 41:50

Jun 7, 2010

I finished the third day of Freeway 2 10K today. I've been able to hold the 4/2 X 5 as "required" in each workout. I've found I really need someone looking over my shoulder, so to speak, to keep me running. The cues in my podcast keep me honest. I don't get tired necessarily, I get bored of the monotony of one pace. I'm determined, though, to increase the amount of time I run before walking. I think it will help to cut time in the next half marathon. I still believe in walk breaks, I just want to take fewer of them. I'll probably throw in an nice easy run this weekend before starting week two on Sunday or Monday.

I hope everyone is keeping warm. The temperature here has been all over the place - 30's to 70's. Santa needs to bring me a long sleeved technical shirt for Christmas! So far I've been able to get by with my short sleeved shirts and knee socks on my arms until I warm up, but at some point it will stay cold enough for long sleeves. How are you dealing with the cold?

• izzy74 Pro 69 posts since
    May 25, 2010
    498. Dec 6, 2010 3:47 PM (in response to urun2me)

Snow and Ice everywhere here for the past 2 weeks and I cant get out running. It is SO annoying!!

I have done one run (20 mins in deep snow) and hurt my ankle. Not good!  So I am hitting the gym and doing cross-trainer, about 50 mins (mix of hill and aerobic prog).  Very boring but I am just trying to keep up my fitness...not sure if it is a substitute but I am afraid of the treadmill. So it is only substitute for me.

Hopefully the ice will thaw over next few days and I can get back on the roads before the big holiday season hits.

Hope you are all doing well.

Urun: I am into the running leggings, long tops and jackets, hat and gloves at the moment...make sure santa has your list for all the necessary clothes. to keep you going..

Izzie

Jun 7, 2010
    499. Dec 12, 2010 1:33 PM (in response to izzy74)

Izzie, hope you didn't get another big dose of snow this week! I can't even imagine trying to run through the winter in a place where it's actually winter! I had sunny skies and 55 degrees today as I began W3D1 of Freeway 210K today. I even left my socks (arm warmers) at home and just warmed up a little quicker when I hit patches of shade. It was a little strange to run by people wearing hooded sweatshirts and long pants while I sweated in a short sleeved shirt and shorts, but I got over it!

Today's run was one of those great ones. I felt pretty good after the first five minutes and I even felt strong at the end even while battling a gradual incline for the last two miles. I covered 4.3 miles in 42 minutes - the fastest four miles I've ever done. I used a 5:1.5 pattern, six times with three minutes thrown in at the end. By the first week of February, I will be running 29:1 with a repeat. Real progress for me!

I'm just about ready to sign up for another half in perhaps April or May because I think I could really knock off some time if I can run more and walk less (and still feel human). A month has passed since my first half and I've had time to recharge and look forward to another one. I should finish Frwy210K in early February which would give me nearly 12 weeks to ramp up the mileage for another half marathon. Definitely doable! I'll just have to run through Christmas, New Years, my daughter's move and my son's conference meet and perhaps NCAA championships - not a problem!

Stay warm everyone and stay in motion.

• izzy74 Pro 69 posts since
    May 25, 2010
    500. Dec 26, 2010 12:54 PM (in response to urun2me)

Urun: Knew you would not stay away from the races for long.

Hope everyone is having nice christmas holidays.

Snow and icy conditions here again have made running very dfficult But I am stil out there, if it is bad I just do 30 mins or so on grass. Hurt my knee last week after a 1hr 45 min run and so have had 5 days off to rest it. Feeling better today so went out and did 5K but it took 43 mins (snow and ice everywhere).
    Hope all is well with everyone, extremely quiet here these days. Maybe with the new year hitting (and the time for resolutions) everyone will be back posting. Be nice to hear who is still running etc.
    Happy New Year (in advance)
    Izzie

Izzie

Jun 7, 2010
    501. Dec 26, 2010 6:18 PM (in response to izzy74)

Merry Christmas & happy new year to all!

I'm still plowing through the Freeway 210K. I ran three times last week, but two of them were inside on the treadmill. I've finished week four which calls for a warmup, then six sets of run six minutes/walk one minute, finishing up with a three minute cool down. I keep surprising myself by making all of the intervals and covering between 4.5 and 5 miles. I just don't let myself stop until time is up. I wanted to throw in a long run this morning, but I'm fighting a bad head cold and decided to take a day of rest. Tomorrow is another day and I hope to be feeling better by then.

Santa did bring a long sleeved technical shirt, so I'm set for cool weather!

I got through Thanksgiving without gaining much weight, but Christmas has taken its toll. I'll survive. The new year is just around the corner with plenty of opportunities to work off the winter layer.

If I get really motivated and the weather holds up, I may join a group that's running a 5K on New Year's Eve. It'll be a nice way to ring in 2011.

Keep posting! I love to hear how all of you are doing.

Jun 22, 2010
    502. Dec 27, 2010 9:09 AM (in response to urun2me)

Had a 4 day weekend and only managed to run ONCE, but I did 4 miles Week 6 Day 2  of Gateway to 8k. Felt pretty good. Wasn't too terribly cold and managed to go during a full hour of no rain (rarity this time of year in Portland). I meant to go Saturday, but too many other things got in the way.

Started C25k  - 5/26/10

Finished C25k - 7/23/10

1st 5k "Viking Vengence" - 7/29/10 - 41:25, 3rd Place Women Ages 35-39, 99th overall

Jun 7, 2010

Happy 2011 to all!

I didn't join the New Year's Eve run, but I'm still hitting the roads for training runs. I'm now in week seven of the Freeway to 10K program (5 min warmup, 9R/1W X 6 + 3 min cool down). Yesterday I covered 6.22 miles. It felt awful during the first half of the run, but the second half felt pretty good. I was nearly run over by a driver exiting a neighborhood without first looking to his right, then realized I had locked myself out of the house, but all in all, a good day. I am getting better at managing the voices in my head. I keep shouting back to them that I'm not hurting anywhere and that they need to quiet down so I can finish what I'm doing. I wasn't sure I could actually complete the 9 minute sets all the way through so I was quite pleased with myself at the end.

I'm still looking at half marathons at the end of April. Too much later in the spring and it's just too hot again down here. I've got a busy

Jun 7, 2010
    504. Jan 31, 2011 2:04 PM (in response to urun2me)

That last post was "recovered" from early in January. I tried to post it but it disappeared for a few weeks!

What's everyone up to? I'm in somewhat of a holding pattern in the freeway 2 10k, week 7. It calls for 9/1 X 6, three times a week. I made an executive decision and decided to bring back my long run which meant reducing one of the 60 minute workouts with a 40-45 minute workout, adding a brief recovery run and then using the fourth day for a long, slow slog. It gives me more variety while increasing mileage. My endurance has improved, as I'm now able to hold the 9/1 pattern - it's almost routine! I've found a happy pace. I feel so far ahead of where I was last spring. I've still got a long way to go to reach my 2 hr half marathon, but I'm making progress.

Snow is on its way to most of the US over the next few days. Hope all of you stay warm and safe, and that you continue to enjoy your running.

Jun 22, 2010
    505. Jan 31, 2011 2:07 PM (in response to urun2me)

I'm still stuck on week 6 of Freeway to 8k (12R/1w x 4) because just as I was telling myself I was going to just GO DO IT I got sick.

Started C25k  - 5/26/10

Finished C25k - 7/23/10

Jun 7, 2010

Hello all! Signed up for a 10K on April 9. I know I'll make the distance, I just hope I feel good doing it!

I'm still running 3-4 times per week. I've recently ramped the long run distance back up to ten or eleven miles. I still take walk breaks, every 3-9 minutes or every half mile or so on the long runs. Running has become a very important part of my week. It keeps me happy and it keeps my weight steady.

I hope everyone made it through the winter. We're coming up on our anniversary in May!

• MonkeyBiznass Pro 72 posts since
    May 23, 2010
    507. Aug 2, 2011 6:04 AM (in response to urun2me)

Hey folks.  Not sure if you remember me.  I stopped posting on the boards awhile back...just kept forgetting about it.  But i was on this site again, and thought i'd pop in.  i'm still running, have done 2 5k's and the Warrior Dash.  I'm not very fast, but i can totally finish.  My latest 5k time was 36 minutes.  hoping to get down to 34 minutes next time.

since starting all this running, i've lost 30lbs, which was my goal.  i still dont like running, but i like that its helping me get thinner, so i keep doing it.  the ultimate goal is to get into the 150's.  i'm currently 175, so i still have some work to do.  Hope everyone is well

Jun 22, 2010

Good for you, MB! That's not slow at all! compared to me anyway

I have a similar update, I did 2 5ks last year and one this spring, then started training for an 8k. I couldn't find any 8ks to run around here, so I started training for a 10k. I am in week 10 of Freeway to 10k, but haven't yet signed up for one, because while the training will get me to run a full hour, that will only get me 5 miles (I only run 12 mph) so in this heat I am not sure about adding an additional 15 miniutes to make the full distance.

I also started all this hoping to lose weight, but running alone didn't do it for me. I started a strict calorie controlled diet in February and went from 176 lbs to this morning the scale says 149.6 lbs. So, it's taking longer than I'd hoped, but I'm getting there. I have 14 more to go to goal weight. I have been blogging it all along with my food diary every single day if anyone would care to see my ups and downs at http://toomanycurves.blogspot.com/.

It would be great to get an update from the rest of you as well

Erika

Started C25k  - 5/26/10

Finished C25k - 7/23/10

1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...