Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

67960 Views 703 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 6:51 PM by racebug313 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 47 Previous Next
  • TooTenacious Rookie 7 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    630. Oct 8, 2007 10:49 AM (in response to christa0120)
    Re: colon issues (sorry)

I am so so so glad to have found this site.  I wasn't sure what was happening with me.  I've never had a problem with the "gotta go" thing until this summer.  I reasoned that it was too hot, I have IBS, I'm eating too much fiber before a run, anything, you name it......I've blamed it.  Now I know I probably have all of the above issues.  BUT I'm not alone.  Thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing your stories and suggestions.  I can't believe there are 26 pages, but I plan on reading them all!  I'm 2 weeks out from my 3rd 1/2 marathonthis one being the only one I'm worried that I might experience problems--I hope to use the suggestions in this post to at the very least get through this marathon without having to duck into a bathroom to rinse my shorts out in a toilet!!!  Keep the stories and solutions coming!

• Bekks Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 27, 2007
    631. Oct 9, 2007 10:42 AM (in response to christa0120)

I haven't been running for long, but this issue popped up for me once I crossed the 3 mile mark.  I'm still trying to figure out how to prevent/lessen my symptoms (which usually start about 30-45 min AFTER my run).  It appear as though (for me) it's a combination of things...

I need to be sure to 'go' BEFORE my run

I can't eat too close to my run...I'll usually just have a powerbar about an hour before I head out (I won't eat for at least two hours after a run)

I hydrate like crazy all morning, but then stop all liquids 1-1.5 hours before my run and I only take TINY sips (infrequently at that) during 4.5+ mile run (I also can't guzzle water afterwards either)

But the most surprising discovery that I made was related to my form?! I very much enjoy lifting weights and spinning. Both of those exercises require a VERY tight core...to prevent lower back injury in lifting and to stay balanced during spin.

I realized that I was subconsciously clenching my core for my entire run. Once I paid more attention to keeping my core 'supportive', but not CLENCHED...I noticed major/positive changes in my post-run condition. It's known that when running, the body restricts blood-flow to the 'gut' and redirects it to your legs. I'm guessing that perhaps that natural reaction in addition to the clenching (which would restrict blood-flow even further) could be enough to have an impact.

Sorry...rambling.  Hope this helps!

• yogini runner Rookie 96 posts since
    Mar 20, 2005
    632. Oct 10, 2007 6:05 PM (in response to christa0120)

Hey All,
    I just got this from an RSS(?) I am subscribed to. It doesn't suggest an immediate cure for UC, but the issue is being researched.

Mouse study may have identified cause of ulcerative colitis, research suggests.
    The UPI (10/10) reports, "U.S. experiments with mice have identified an immune deficiency as the likely cause of ulcerative colitis -- a severe inflammatory disease of the colon," according to a study published online in the journal Cell. Investigators were able to link "ulcerative colitis in mice to a deficiency of a molecular 'peacekeeper' in the immune system, allowing harmful bacteria in the large intestine to breach the bowel's protective lining and trigger damaging inflammation." Furthermore, researchers "also determined that once the disease was established in mice, it could be passed from mother to offspring, and even between adult animals."

Hopefully help is on the way.
    Safe running, Ev

• ShelleyM073 Rookie 275 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    633. Oct 11, 2007 5:00 AM (in response to christa0120)

Interesting explanation on the clenching of the stomach.  Maybe that is a problem for those of you that haven't been diagnosed with anything.

Dec 14, 2007
    634. Oct 11, 2007 9:41 AM (in response to christa0120)

Just checking in......today was the first cool morning I have experienced since the beginning of summer.  From 76 degree runs to 48 degrees, and not a problem at all with the tummy.  I had read that heat really irritates IBS and wondered if the cooler weather would provide any relief.  So now I'm wondering if anyone else sees an increase in symptoms with the heat?  Also I have not seen anything (I could have missed it) on anyone taking probiotics for their GI problems.  I started taking them about a month ago and did notice a big difference, but again, I think the heat was the main culprit of my horrifying runs.  So guess I learned something from my summer training and will need to have a different strategy for next year---not that I will ever train for a fall marathon during the summer again!

Striding off now.....

Columbus 1/2 Marathon
    10/21/07

• wherestheportojohn Rookie 206 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    635. Oct 11, 2007 3:22 PM (in response to christa0120)

nothing new to add here; just reading and waving howdy

I am somewhat comforted by seeing others with 'issues'
    We'll find an answer, I'm sure!

No changes for me, unfortunately.
    Every single run has at least one poopstop, and often MULTIPLE stops.

Timing?
    Mine never make any sense.
    Today it didn't occur until the last half mile of a 5 miler....but on tuesday, I had 5-6 poopstops from miles 1-10 on my long one. Thankfully I was at home on the TM!!

----

On Wisconsin

TurtleXing[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    636. Oct 12, 2007 5:27 AM (in response to christa0120)

TooTen-I tried probiotics for my UC and it didn't help.  The pills were very expensive.  I went through 2 bottles to no avail.  Cooler weather never affected my stomach issues.  I live in Fl. and it's always hot anyway.

----

My Profile[/URL" target="_blank">

Dec 14, 2007
    637. Oct 15, 2007 9:29 AM (in response to christa0120)

Waving back.....LOL

Oh my.....I can't imagine a 10 mile run on a Dreadmill.....and then to have to start and stop.....wherestheportajohn, you have my total admiration for your tenacity!!!

I went out for a 10 miler this weekend and by 6 miles I had that, I have to poop feeling (forgot to take the Immodium)......well, that screws the cooler weather theory! I ignored it until the 8 mile mark where I turned back toward home ---and then I remember reading that picking up the pace would cause the blood to divert to my GI tract and would help to calm it down. That did work for me and actually I was kinda sad I cut the run to 10 miles...could have gone further. So now that's my new theory...unfortunately I won't have time to test it fully before the 1/2 marathon. But I'll post my findings if I find anything and this isn't another silly theory in my search to figure out how to fix this problem!!LOL

Happy running all..

striding off now

• Spanky420 Rookie 69 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    638. Oct 15, 2007 4:55 PM (in response to christa0120)

I have been taking Healthy Trinity by Natren.  I started back in fall of '03.  Took it for a while but couldn't afford it w/ not having steady work.  Went back on it about a year ago and it definitely has helped.  I still get all of the same problems but it seems as if they are not as frequent and it really seems to help w/ the constant bloating that I used to feel.  I've been diagnosed w/ Ischemic Colitis and some other form of colitis and I'm sick of doctors...just trying to see if I can find things on my own.  But Healthy Trinity has helped to keep me more "normal" feeling.
    As for climate....if I am in a cold room for some reason that seems to send me into pretty bad pain.  Isn't that a little weird?

• Currently Being Moderated
    639. Oct 18, 2007 8:35 PM (in response to christa0120)

Hi
    I just finished my first marathon and ended up in the GI Dr's office. I have runners colitis. I finally stopped bleeding after two days. He told me absolutley no more marathons. He told me I could do damage if I continued. I have a colonoscopy next week. There is a family history of colon cancer.
    How come everyone keeps running with symptoms? He said I could run halfs as long as there is no bleeding or other symptoms. I should keep my mileage under whatever causes problems. He told me there was a chance I could do perminent damage if I continued. Has anyone else gotten this advice?
    Thanks

• GranolaGal Rookie 47 posts since
    Sep 2, 2007
    640. Oct 19, 2007 10:15 PM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by Spanky420:

I have been taking Healthy Trinity by Natren...

I take "Pro-Biotics Acidophilus" made by Nutrition Now Inc.  I get it from GNC.

Sep 2, 2007
    641. Dec 21, 2007 11:29 AM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by runninggirl33:

I have a colonoscopy next week. Thanks

I drank a lot of broth and other salt-based products with my second colonoscopy because this helped me retain water (With my first one, I got dizzy because I wasn't retaining enough water, I assumed). Everytime I felt hungry, I drank lots of fluid or ate jello which I found helpful to do. Also, I liked the pedialyte better than the gatorade because it contains less sugar - or at least, tasted like it (you should check your sources to make sure). Powerade has vitamin B12 in it. Gatorade, powerade and probably pedialyte, too, are more hydrating than water (probably because of electrolytes), I've heard. There might be supplements you can take during your purge the day before if you feel that you need them - ask your dr. The reason I'm telling you all of this is because I didn't know a lot of this with my first colonoscopy. With my second one, the dr. (different one) actually gave me a menu of my three "meals" (if you want to call them meals-all liquid) for the day. He also provided a list of supplements/nutritious type things that I could take during the purge. I thought that the written info. (menu and other info.) he gave me helped considerably. Anyway, check with your dr. on all of this. I find it helpful to know what questions to ask, so I think above should be helpful to you to ask your dr. before the colonoscopy. The purge was the worst part for me. The colonoscopy was nothing since I was asleep. Also, you might ask your dr. if he can use propofol instead of versed (used to induce amnesia) and demerol. Propofol is non-narcotic and you wake up almost immediately after the procedure.

Good luck!

[http://This message has been edited by GranolaGal (edited Oct-19-2007).|http://This message has been edited by GranolaGal (edited Oct-19-2007).]

Dec 14, 2007
    642. Oct 20, 2007 6:51 AM (in response to christa0120)

I've had many colonoscopies over the last 25 years, and never has the GI given me a "menu."  That's really great advice, if your doc will do it.  Also, he never advised me not to run again.  As a matter of fact, I remember once when I was not flaring, he dictated into his machine that I was able to run again with no problems.

Sep 2, 2007
    643. Oct 20, 2007 7:59 AM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by runninggirl33:

He told me absolutley no more marathons. He told me I could do damage if I continued....There is a family history of colon cancer.
    How come everyone keeps running with symptoms? He said I could run halfs as long as there is no bleeding or other symptoms. I should keep my mileage under whatever causes problems. He told me there was a chance I could do perminent damage if I continued. Has anyone else gotten this advice?
    Thanks

My problems are not related to running in my mind - since I haven't run in years and when I did, it wasn't more than a mile or two, probably.  I mostly walk (not much running) 3 to 4 miles a day almost daily.  I can understand your dr's concern if you have a family history of colon cancer.  Bleeding could be one of the symptoms...I believe you're supposed to get a colonoscopy ten years before the relative with it was first diagnosed with it or by age 50, whichever comes first, but check to make sure since it's always possible for rules to change...

Dec 14, 2007
    644. Oct 26, 2007 7:02 AM (in response to christa0120)

quote:

Originally posted by GranolaGal:

My problems are not related to running in my mind - since I haven't run in years and when I did, it wasn't more than a mile or two, probably. I mostly walk (not much running) 3 to 4 miles a day almost daily. I can understand your dr's concern if you have a family history of colon cancer. Bleeding could be one of the symptoms...I believe you're supposed to get a colonoscopy ten years before the relative with it was first diagnosed with it or by age 50, whichever comes first, but check to make sure since it's always possible for rules to change...

You know folks.....if your GI doc is not a runner, he's probably going to say don't run anymore. That's the easiest fix right? Docs that don't run are not sympathetic to runner issues. If you want to continue to run with this problem, seek advice from a doc who understands running and the runner's addiction so many of us have.

On a brighter note,..... finished my Columbus 1/2 with a new PR, no potty breaks (took 2 Immodiums) and minor bleeding from what I now believe is an internal rhoid. Has been a very relaxing recovery week and I'm already excited about my long run this weekend. Perhaps a 7 miler to see if my issues are getting better.

I hope everyone's butt is doing well!

Run Strong!

1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 ... 47 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...