Skip navigation

1034525 Views 4,443 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow Go to original post 1 ... 130 131 132 133 134 ... 297 Previous Next
  • mugumbee Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 8, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,965. Mar 9, 2011 2:25 AM (in response to aprillilly)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Hi Aprillily

I use a program called Jiwok, you can choose your own music or they create a playlist for you, based on your favorite genre.  They then mix the music according to the program you've chosen, so the tempo is right for the pace you should be doing.  It really keeps me in line and has helped me find a good running rhythm (slower than others, but it's increasing bit by bit!).  I use my own music with this program.  I have Billy Idol, Black Eyed Peas, and Muse (I'm a bit of a rock chick!), but they can make one for you to try if you don't want to use your own.

I wanted to run this morning but my daughter is home from school sick :-(.  Tomorrow is another day!

Happy running

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    1,966. Mar 9, 2011 7:16 AM (in response to TX248)

TX248 wrote:

Has anyone experimented with barefoot running? I've been reading Born to Run - very interesting. It talks about the people in the world with the most endurance who can run the longest runs and how some of those people run barefoot or with minimal foot wear. It also talks about running form, something I'm constantly thinking about. Would love to hear your thoughts or experience.

I've done almost all my running barefoot.  It feels amazing and I can't imagine running any other way. I wear my Vibram Five Fingers when the roads are wet  or I have to go on trails or anything. It's really not nearly as scary and hard as people think and most of the naysayers you'll meet will be those who haven't actually tried it.  Lot's of  "I couldn't possibly" and "my roads are too rough" ... but you've read the book. What it says is 100% true.  That said, you have to start slow,  give your body time to learn and your feet to strengthen.  ( Talking about internal strength, ligaments and tendons that have been over-supported and confined for too long. The soles of your feet actually don't need THAT much help)

As to form, I highly reccomend you stop over at Barefoot Ken Bobs site http://therunningbarefoot.com/ and start to read read read and read some more.  One of the first things you'll read is tha to find that form you've talked about, all you need do is find a nice quiet stretch of road and take off yoru shoes. Your body will find the form for you. It won't let you run any other way. Lots , LOTS more to discuss  . Start SLOW. Go EASY.

There are men and women there who have run literally hundreds of barefoot marathons.   I'm still a penguin slow 5K wannabe.  But I'm doing it barefoot and so is my wife and kids.  Shoot me am IM  . I'm happy to talk about it more

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,967. Mar 9, 2011 7:23 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi Everyone, I walked 4 miles today. It was really windy..  it's supposed rain later today thru Thursday.  The low for the next few days will be in the 30s

• mimiisarunner Legend 329 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    1,968. Mar 9, 2011 9:12 AM (in response to Wideguy)

I do not consider myself a naysayer per say and I have run alot of miles barefoot in my time. Yes it is freeing and yes you do feel the road and yes you may or may not go faster, but it comes down to the preference of the individual runner. Some wear shoes and some go minimalist and some go barefoot. That does not make one better than the other. Just a difference in preference of the runner.

FM! 3/4/2012 New Orlean RnR - 5:49:55! PR!

10K PR 1:11:22 ( 11:49 mm)

5K PR 30:20 !

Ran 4 HM's in 2011

HM 11/13/2011 PR!!! (2:35:53) Pensacola, FL

HM 12/3/2011 (2;39:27) Ran for fun and training St. Judes, Memphis, Tn

HM 01/07/2011 (2:48:23) First Light HM - Mobile, AL (My very first HM)

HM 02/14/2011 (2:40:23) Mercedes Benz - Birmingham, AL

2013 Events:

1-5-13 Ms. Blues HM 2:44:57

1-13-13 Gulf HM 2:40:xx

2-24-13 Disney Princess Half Marathon

3/20/2013 Azalea TR 10K

4-7-2013 Pensacola Beach Half Marathon

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,969. Mar 9, 2011 11:55 AM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Retired girl

"I've been asking my trainer about barefoot running.   ...   Basically, he kind of discouraged me from trying it right now, since I am a new runner."

And  TX248

If you might want to consider barefoot or minimalist running a future option, might I make a suggestion?  Get  a pair of shoes that has very little heel lift, (I use the Nike Free Run + but there are more andmore of these lower heel shoes every day) and use them for your walks and just general around town ambling.  Barefoot running involves new stress on our bodies and changing both running style and structural loading at the same time is tough. Getting a few months of flat or very low heel walking in and then adding a jog occationaly can not only physically help the potential transition, but could give you a better idea if barefoot or minimalist running is for you. It will also help you establish the proper approach to the transition. SLOW!

Having dove in head first (my usual self destructive style) I can say that the transition should be considered a slow incremental change. There is no reason why the transition could not be started without giving up your current style and foot gear.  As I recover from a pretty good achilies strain, I have learned a lot more about my body and the style change process. I have been using Chi Walking in minmalist shoes as an active therapy. It has worked wonders both for my tendon and for my understanding of Chi/minimalist running.

I am now pain free and starting to inject short runs into my longer walks. The runs are always something that approaches Chi.Natural/Pose/  I wait after each walk til the next day to see if there is any more pain in my achillies. It is hard for not to just go out and start running, but that is what got me the injury in the first place and I'd like to fool myself into thinking that I learned a lesson.  I will be taking a walk run this weekend where I will let myself run a mile or so after a warm up walk. I'll follow with a cool down walk and wait til the next morning to determine if the achilies is up to more running.Having been pain free for the better part of a week, I am hopefull that my recovery is near compete and I can get back to running as there are a number of races comming up and I'd like to participate.

I am comitted to running the Little Rock half marathon next year and plan to do it using the minimalist running style the whole distance.  That goal is helping me keep the dicipline of not doing more than my body is capabile of doing safely and comfortably.

In the mean time I got myself a pair of Vibram FF and am starting to walk around in them to keep the transition experiment going.  Talk about DIFFERENT! When I bought them, I put them on in the store and went to the mirror. I started laughing out loud at the sight. I got a real dirty look from a lady just next tot he mirror who was trying on shoes. I pointed down at my feet and she started laughing also. I doubt that I can ever run barefoot, but I may be able to learn to walk comfortably in the Vibrams to strenghten my feet and learn the subtilities of minimalist running.

Jack.

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• Scrufffy Legend 252 posts since
    Dec 2, 2010
    1,970. Mar 9, 2011 11:49 AM (in response to mimiisarunner)

dyykjt

"I do not consider myself a naysayer per say and I have run alot of miles  barefoot in my time. Yes it is freeing and yes you do feel the road and  yes you may or may not go faster, but it comes down to the preference  of the individual runner. Some wear shoes and some go minimalist and  some go barefoot. That does not make one better than the other. Just a  difference in preference of the runner. "

Excellent!  Couldn't agree more.

Spa5k, 11/04/10, 30:58 2nd place senior

Peace and Love 5k 3/16/11 29:05 1st place senior

Toad Suck Daze 5k 30 April 11, 28:29 1st place age group

2011 Spa 5k 11/19/11 25:55 1st place senior Personal Best, 2nd career

Looking for a 10 k to run and if that goes well, a HM next spring

A body at rest tends to stay .... on the couch!

Jack

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,971. Mar 9, 2011 12:47 PM (in response to Scrufffy)

Thanks for the info, Jack -- as always you are right on target and very helpful.  Maybe it is just that Sacramento is close to San Francisco and that we are in California, but I routinely see people wearing the five finger shoes.  They do look funny but I think I might give them a try just to see and also just for the fun of it.  Life is too short to let yourself get bored because there's too many cool things to find out about.  All my friends are very well groomed, conservative ladies in their 60s and 70s -- I am looking forward to seeing their reaction.  That alone is worth the price of the shoes!  They already think I'm a nut for running and wanting to do a triathalon.  I'm good for a laugh it seems

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• flamomof3 Legend 1,928 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1,972. Mar 9, 2011 1:18 PM (in response to retiredgirl61)

Hi, I paid for 24 month Subscription to Runners World and they sent me a running log. I'm looking at my runs on the computer and my Garmin doesn't show all my runs? It will have Mondays runs and then nothing for the rest of the week. I will definately log every run in my book.

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    1,973. Mar 9, 2011 1:42 PM (in response to mimiisarunner)

dyykjt1 wrote:

I do not consider myself a naysayer per say and I have run alot of miles barefoot in my time. Yes it is freeing and yes you do feel the road and yes you may or may not go faster, but it comes down to the preference of the individual runner. Some wear shoes and some go minimalist and some go barefoot. That does not make one better than the other. Just a difference in preference of the runner.

Hi Mimi,

Rereading my post I can see where it maybe looked like I was referring to you specifically but I assure you I wasn't.  You are absolutely right  that ultimately it is a personal choice.  My response was solely inteded to be a voice of support for someone looking to try barefooting to preempt against the thousands of voices he might hear against it.  And as I said, not all, but most he hears  will have never even tried it. I'm glad you're one of the open minded  "live and let live"  runners, but as a barefooter who routinely gets called "crazy and stupid", you should know that not all our fellow runners are built the same. I do apologize for  seeming to lump you in that group

My only real strong feling regarding barefoot is this. I beleive strongly in the long term benefits of a forefoot/midfoot landing versus a heel strike running style.  I have yet to have a single person tell me it didn't help reduce their pain and increase their enjoyment of running.  And I also believe that there is no faster or surer way to learn that form than going barefoot for some training. The rest, the hippy dippy fel good contact with mother earth side, although something I do personally beleive to be true,  is admittedly just that. It has nothing to do with training, longevity or speed.  I just like it. It's like a 30 minute rolling massage on my feet.

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• aprillilly Expert 53 posts since
    Oct 30, 2009
    1,974. Mar 9, 2011 2:50 PM (in response to mugumbee)

mugumbee,

thank you so much for the music information. I will check it out.

Hope that you will be able to do your run soon.

Today I completed the C25K..I am soooooo tired now..I did some stability ball exercises after my run..

Are you doing the C25K?

thanks again

aprillilly

aprillilly
  • jayjhorge Rookie 3 posts since
    Feb 22, 2011
    1,975. Mar 9, 2011 5:15 PM (in response to Donna914)

I just finished a 10 km. run today as a penguin. i will soon aim for 25k run.

• TX248 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 2, 2009
    1,976. Mar 10, 2011 7:17 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences with barefoot running. I appreciate your perspectives since I've never tried it, and I'm a new runner. I will have to give it a whirl soon as I'm interested in good form to prevent injuries. I have a feeling I'd cringe to see my poor form on video.

I'm doing my very first 5k this weekend. I don't expect to run the entire thing, as I'm not there yet in my training. The path winds around the Titans football stadium and ends inside on the 50 yard line. I can't wait!

Happy running.

• altoid77 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    1,977. Mar 10, 2011 8:04 AM (in response to Donna914)

Ran 2.3 miles this morning, in about 31 minutes. Stopped briefly once to re-tie a shoe. First half mile directly into the wind, last half mile into front-angled cross wind. So... all in all, not too shabby for my second run back after about four months off!

Cheers.

5/31/2010 - Gibbs Lake Gallop 5k trail run - 42:24

10/24/2010 - Wisconsin Dells Half Marathon - 2:56:49

4/9/2011 - Dash at the Dunes 5k trail run - 39:00

5/29/2011 - Madison Half Marathon

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    1,978. Mar 10, 2011 9:05 AM (in response to TX248)

Hi, TX  -- I'll be interested to hear about your 5K - be sure to let us know how it goes.  I think you will be surprised at how well you do and if you need to walk, then walk.  Run/walk intervals are an accepted form of running and can actually improve your time -- nothing to be ashamed of.

I noticed you are interested in form -- here is what I have learned from being fortunate enough to have a trainer.  Good form is lean slightly forward from the ankles like you're starting to fall, tight core (i.e., tight abs back and glutes), head up and facing forward (helps to see where you are going!), chest out front a little (I have a tendency to hunch over and look at the groundwhen I get tired), short fast steps.  Tight core is very important as it helps your legs carry you and you may even find that your abs get sore sometimes.  I focus on that when I am running and haven't really had any significant problems other than tired muscles and a funky knee from a previous injury.

Go get em -- the finish at the 50 yd line sounds very cool!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

• Slow Running Pro 66 posts since
    Apr 18, 2010
    1,979. Mar 10, 2011 4:10 PM (in response to Donna914)

I just signed up for the Cleveland half in may and started my training on tuesday.  I ran 4 miles on Tuesday and 5.2 miles today.  I took a break from training in the month of February and now I am easing back into a running plan.  Tuesdays run sucked but I think I got my groove back on todays run and was able to run an old route that was snowed out until yesterdays rain.  Being forced to run in a 5 block radius was causing me to loose my mojo so todays run was a positive change for me.  I am hoping we don't get anymore snow and looking forward to the half in May!

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...