Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

56157 Views 330 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 11:56 AM by Goterps007 RSS 1 2 3 ... 23 Previous Next
skypenny Rookie 89 posts since
Mar 11, 2003
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 24, 2006 2:54 PM

Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

Who out there there has had ACL replacement and gone back to running ? (I used to run a lot.)  Surgery was last May - ham graft, medial meniscus repair and partial lateral menisectomy.  Reinjured MCL in Sept. from coming back too fast.  Now I am back on treadmill again (walk/run - short increments.) I do lots of PT and lots of cross training so still quite strong and in OK shape. But I need some encouragement - or else a reality check. Would like to get back to double digit runs on the weekends and my annual marathon.  PT thinks bad idea. I have not really run any serious miles since my injury last February.(Also, I am kind of scared to run outside because I might fall and rip my leg up again....) What's your story ?

• alexg843 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 2, 2007
    1. Jan 29, 2006 5:38 AM (in response to skypenny)
    Re: Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

I had my ACL (achielles allo) and lateral and medial meniscus(removed) done Nov 9, 05.  I also had injury to my MCL but no repair done to it.  My injury happened in June in a motocross accident. 

I've been running since Jan 9.  I've been only running no more than 20 minutes at 7-7.5 on the treadmill.   I am gradually taking it up in time.  I will say that I do feel my knee when I run.  Its not real painful but its not like my other knee.  My PT says it normal and it will pass.  Also I noticed that the speed I am running seems to be the most comfortable.  If I run slower or faster it hurts.  I just make sure to ice it after I am done.  The more I run the less I feel it over time.

• first timer2005 Rookie 15 posts since
    May 21, 2005
    2. Jan 29, 2006 6:55 AM (in response to skypenny)

I had an ACL replacement on Aug 17/05 and ended up getting a blot clot in my lung and because of this started physio almost a month late.  After alot of hard work I have come back to be able to run.  My OS told me that running wasn't a good idea, but I decided that I would like to prove him wrong.  He is not athletic, but he is into sports medicine.  The icy conditions of winter really hurt.  There were days that I would go out walking only to slip and hyper extend my knee.  I was very frustrating!  But this winter has become more mild and there has not been too much snow.  Start off slow and give yourself plenty of recovery time.  I was also told to make sure that I strengthened my quads for better knee stability.   I recently purchased a neoprene brace from a brace specialty company. It is very snug and there are steel hinges on either side of the brace and wrap around velcro straps to keep it in place.  I love to wear it running and would never run without it.  My hated wearing my other ACL brace.  It was too big and bulky and I had to wear it on top of my pants and it kept slipping out of place.  You should look for the same type of neoprene brace that I have.

http://www.kneeshop.com/neoprene.htm[/URL" target="_blank">

I also agree with alexg843, about the more running that you do the less you feel it over time. It continues to get easier, but my rest days are very important to me.

Good luck to you.

• drojewski Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    3. Jan 30, 2006 4:23 PM (in response to skypenny)

I just had an ACL replacement on Dec 21 with a cadaver ligament. My recovery has been incredible! I went into the surgery probably fitter than I have ever been and I honostly think that helped me out greatly! Anyway, post surgery my ortho and I discussed having very agressive PT. My PT's are in my orhto's office and they discussed my case prior to me getting there. Within 24 hours of surgery I had exercises sent home with me to begin bending my knee as much as was tolorable. I worked diligently on these home exercises. By 2 weeks after the surgery I thought I would go insane and was falling into a deep depression because of the lack of exercise. My PT's had me on a bike 2.5 weeks after surgery. I have been biking like crazy!! My PT has been going exceptionally well and even the PT's have been amazed at my progress! Last Wednesday which was 5 weeks post surgery I was released to the eliptical and some VERY light EASY jogging on the treadmill only until April. I only do this jogging every other day for now. I'm having some aching and the back of my knee is sore but, my PT's and dr. said this is all very normal and it will pass in time. Icing helps, I have no swelling at all. Skypenny thanks for putting me at ease prior to my surgery and so far "Yes" it was worth it!!

Dec 5, 2007
    5. Jan 31, 2006 11:15 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hey SkyPenny, Nope I'm 40 soon to be 41 in April. Yes, I'd say I was a heavy miles runner I ran the Philly marathon with the torn ACL and yes, torn cartlidge. My knee had finally had enough at mile 19 and I walked, limped and tried to run just to make it to the finish line. I was up to 55 miles a week at that point. The ortho while in there replaced the ACL, fixed the torn cartidge and said the MCL looked fine. I'm up to 1.25 miles every other day right now and I have chosen to take it slow. I don't plan to run a marathon until MAYBE fall Detroit in October but, I know that I'm running Disney in January. I want to re-build and be strong when I run my next marathon. The first time they put me on the treadmill I was just grins from ear to ear!! Yes, I'm running slower than I normally do but, I know it will get better. I'm also cross training like a mad women!! Bike and eliptical and I throw weights in there here and there. Trust me, I have even amazed my PT's.Do you go to PT?? What do they have you doing? THey just added lateral slides to my regimin of things to do. I also went out and bought a bunch of things so I could rehab on non-rehab days. I have PT 3 days a week still until Feb. 21st and then I see my Ortho. again. Keep your chin up better days will be here before you know it. I'm just thankful that it's during the winter so by spring I'll be so ready to run outside again. Right now I'm just happy to be doing 1.25 miles!!!! If you need more cheering up let me know, I'd be happy to. Or if you want to talk or compare notes, you can always e-mail me!!!! It will get better!!!!

Dec 5, 2007
    7. Feb 1, 2006 3:38 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey SkyPenny,
    How the heck did you get your insurance to cover that much PT? My insurance only covers 60 days of PT a year. By the way how did you injury your MCL on the treadmill? My PT has me doing alot of strengthening exercises.  Anyway, weight gain. This is my biggest concern!!! I have not really gained any weight yet (knock on wood). SInce I began running I lost 70 pounds and I don't want to go back to that person ever again. 7 pounds isn't bad and once you get back to a regimn it will come off. I'm a little bummed because I can't eat the way I did when I was running high miles and still losing weight. Hopefully we'll both be back  and training for a marathon soon. I'm bummed because I'm missing Boston, but it will always be there. I did it last year. What kind of cross training do you do? How much time do you spend on them?

Dec 5, 2007
    9. Feb 13, 2006 4:02 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey SkyPenny,

How are you doing?? Just thought I would check up on you.

Dec 5, 2007
    11. Feb 13, 2006 4:42 PM (in response to skypenny)

I am grins from ear to ear!!! My runs are getting better and better every couple of days! I did 3 miles Saturday and THis morning, I'm up for 3.5 miles tomorrow morning. Luckily I have a coach to keep me in check with my runs. If I didn't have him I know I would be going full tilt! The soreness is pretty much gone and I'm back to running without constantly thinking about my knee. This morning at the gym I ran and was watching the t.v. and listening to the music and most improtantly enjoying my run!!!!I I go to the dr. next Tuesday for another check up so we'll see where I'm at. I haven't gained any weight but I can tell things aren't fitting as well as they did when I was running higher miles.
    It sounds like things are progressing well for you! Awesome!! Keep up the good work!!! You're an attorney?Soon we'll both be back on track and racing again. I can't wait!!!!

Dec 5, 2007
    13. Feb 22, 2006 12:56 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey Skypenny,

I just thought I would let you know that my dr. released me yesterday! He also said that I can run outside but to use common sense i.e. ice, snow, etc.... He also said to build up slowly going back outside. I will go to PT two days a week for the next month just for precautionary reasons.

You asked what my coach does for me. Lots fo things, he sets up my schedule, gets me ready for whatever race I have comming up and mentally prepares me. He's online and whenever I have a question for him he is there within hours with an answer. I don't have to worry any more about how many miles do I need to put in this week, it's written down for me. Right now I keep him busy keeping me under control, so I don't go crazy running more miles than I should and re-injuring myself. I ran 3.75 mile yesterday and felt great!

How's your running going? How many miles are you up to now? How are you feeling?

1 2 3 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...