Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3222 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2011 7:03 AM by flyzippio RSS
KristyBee Rookie 2 posts since
Mar 10, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 10, 2011 9:55 AM

Newbie runner here!

Hello fellow newbies and/or fellow runners/joggers/walkers!

I would like to start running!

My goal is to become more active- I don't want to be out of breath anymore when I have to jog across campus- or taking the laundry down the stairs.

Least to say I am out of shape- though not by the looks of it. When I tell all my friends I want to be more active they all say "Why? Don't be crazy- you look great!" They don't understand that I just want to be healthier and achieve a more active lifestyle. If I shed fat- thats all fine and dandy- but I just want to feel great. As I can't get support or advice from my friends or family, I have turned to you, Cool Running community!

I have tried this before and I get discouraged quickly. I can't run a mile right now, when I could run a 6:30 mile easily in high school. So when I run a minute and I'm dying it's rather frustrating. Anybody been there before? How did you increase your tolerance? I'd surely appreciate any words of encouragement, advice, or even your stories!

• helprunning Rookie 3 posts since
    Mar 10, 2011
    1. Mar 10, 2011 10:15 AM (in response to KristyBee)
    Re: Newbie runner here!

Hi there!

I'm new to running too and am a bit freaked out about it.  I'm doing the Couch2 5K program, but have to admit I've tried it about 3 times before and have just quit before I even got to week 3!  I do like to workout, but running just seems like an entirely new animal to me.  I don't enjoy it and just keep looking at my watch to see how much longer before I can stop.  But I keep telling myself to press on this time because I need to prove I can do it!  I work out pretty regularly - I do an hour of spin classes, which is a pretty hard workout.  BUT for some reason when it comes to running, I can't even last 3 whole minutes!  It's so discouraging!  I am on week 4 today and about to go out and do my run.  I'm scared - I'm supposed to run for 5 minutes straight and not sure if I can do it!  I need some encouragement!!!  Let's encourage each other! I'm sure you can do it!!!!!!  Let's show ourselves that we CAN do it!! I'm out the door.  Please wish me luck.  I don't want to come back discouraged. 

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    2. Mar 10, 2011 10:19 AM (in response to KristyBee)

Oh - I've so been there.  When i was in high school I ran Track and Cross country and up until about a year ago I got winded going up stairs.  But I will tell you that if you make a commitment to your self and your program (like Couch to 5K) you'll see an improvement.  In the same way we didn't get out of shape in a day we can't get back into shape in a day either.  Just keep at it and set yourself goals.  Make sure you are eating right and getting enough sleep.  Once you reach that first goal - you'll feel proud and ready to move on to your next goals.

Remember - Don't give up!

• GBFLA Amateur 9 posts since
    Mar 9, 2011
    4. Mar 10, 2011 10:31 AM (in response to KristyBee)

I just have to add my words of encouragement. I hated to run and used to say I would never run. Well, a year into it, I just ran my first 5k and let me tell you it is so worth it.

The feeling you get when you cross that finish line is AMAZING!!! The 5k was this past Saturday. It is now Thursday and I am still flying high!!!

My best advice to  you is to take your time and go at your own pace. I didn't do the C25K program. I started with a 2 mile walk and then just ran a little bit of it to start. Every week I would add a little more to my running distance. It takes a bit longer than the normal 8 week program, but it worked for me.

Also, don't try to go for any speed records at first. My 5k time was over 35 minutes.....I'm just happy that I ran the whole thing. I'm sure speed will come, but if it doesn't, I'm happy with a 12 minute mile!

Just believe that you can do it and you will!

Congrats on getting started....keep it up!

"Within you right now is the power to do things you never dreamed possible. This power becomes availalbe to you just as soon as you change your beleifs" - Maxwell Maltz

Champion 5K at ESPN the Weekend (2011) - First 5k! 35:49

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Mar 10, 2011 10:36 AM (in response to KristyBee)

Hi, running got easier for me by running more and increasing distance by one day.

Mar 10, 2011
    6. Mar 10, 2011 11:12 AM (in response to KristyBee)

Wow, I am so encouraged by all of your comments.  I just walked in the door and am dripping sweat! I decided to do week 3 again instead of moving on to the week 4 program.  I want running 3 minutes straight to be easier before I tackle 5 minutes.  I'm definitely not even keeping track of how fast I'm running or walking.  In fact, I know I'm going really really slowly.  But that's ok.  I just want to condition my body to get used to running.  More importantly, I want running to be fun, not so excruciatingly boring for me!!  I hear that at some point it becomes enjoyable. When does that point come?!!   I'm a gym person.  I need music and a class and others around me to push me.  Please tell me it becomes FUN at some point!   Have a great day everyone. 

• 1974mom Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 15, 2011
    7. Mar 10, 2011 11:49 AM (in response to helprunning)

helprunning wrote:

Wow, I am so encouraged by all of your comments.  I just walked in the door and am dripping sweat! I decided to do week 3 again instead of moving on to the week 4 program.  I want running 3 minutes straight to be easier before I tackle 5 minutes.  I'm definitely not even keeping track of how fast I'm running or walking.  In fact, I know I'm going really really slowly.  But that's ok.  I just want to condition my body to get used to running.  More importantly, I want running to be fun, not so excruciatingly boring for me!!  I hear that at some point it becomes enjoyable. When does that point come?!!   I'm a gym person.  I need music and a class and others around me to push me.  Please tell me it becomes FUN at some point!   Have a great day everyone. 

Are you using any of the Podcasts during your runs? I like the music and the idea of someone pushing me too. I could not do this w/o the Podcasts. Not only does the beat of the music help but having someone telling me to "keep going, you're doing great" or "you're 1/2 way there, keep pushing" or "only 1 minute to go...."  is priceless. I feel like I have a running coach with me at all times.

If you haven't checked them out...do it!! It makes all the difference!

Registered for my first 5K...coming up on 4/10 (hoping to finish in under 40 minutes)!

Mar 10, 2011
    8. Mar 10, 2011 11:52 AM (in response to 1974mom)

where do i go to get the Podcasts?  Right now I just listen to my iPod playlist while the Couch to 5K program is running. 

• Creampuff Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 25, 2007
    9. Mar 10, 2011 12:04 PM (in response to helprunning)

In iTunes, search for "couch to 5K" and you'll find a bunch of great podcasts - Robert Ullrey's is prominent (his was the original, I believe), there are some by Podrunner and I'm currently listening to the Chubby Jones C25K podcast.  I liked the Robert Ullrey podcast the first time I did the C25K program, but after a bit I prefer my own music. 

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,339 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    10. Mar 10, 2011 12:17 PM (in response to helprunning)

http://www.c25k.com/ list a bunch of sources for podcasts, some free, some not.

Len

Len

• LPARafael Pro 166 posts since
    Sep 13, 2010
    11. Mar 10, 2011 12:58 PM (in response to KristyBee)

Congrats on deciding to be more active and to feel great.  I can relate to a lot of the things you are going through.  I started out by cutting down my caloric intake - stopped eating seconds and thirds, I would tell people - before I started on a little exercise regimen.  At first I just walked around the block, then two blocks and then around the local public golf course.  You just have to stick with it.  Slowly increase your distance every day which may help you not get discouraged.  If you don't increase the distance try to get it done a few seconds faster.  You are in it for the long haul so don't work to try and get things done too fast.

I lost 45 pounds total in a 9 month period, went from 195 to 150 which is where I should be for someone being 5'5" - have stayed there for 6 months now.  Went from having never ran before in the first 47 years of my life to running the next 8 months in several 5Ks and actually completed a half marathon in January.  Most of the races in which I have participated I did the "walk some, run some" and pretty soon I am at the finish line.  During my training for the half my plan was to listen to music while I ran/walked.  At the start of a song I would walk the first 30 seconds before running for the remainder of the song.  When the next song started I would repeat the cycle.  You can do a variety of that in order to build endurance.

Making the decision to get active was hard, the work ahead of you is hard, but know that there are many here who have gone thru the same thing and are supporting you evrey step of the way.  Keep posting here any questions you may have, or when in search of motivation.  Another thing you can do is to start a blog.  This will help you keep track of your progress, and that will definitely be a good motivator.

To paraphrase Newton, "A body in motion tends to stay in motion", so keep those feet moving ....

2012 Races

Year 2 Year 5K - 12/31 - 1/1

Tinkerbell Half Marathon - 1/29

Rock n Roll Pasadena Half marathon - 2/19

Old Agoura 10K - 3/24

O2O Half Marathon - 6/3

City Impact Half Marathon - 6/16

Channel Islands 10K - 7/4

Disneyland Half - 9/2

Marine Corps Marathon - 10/28

• makanasmom Amateur 12 posts since
    Mar 2, 2011
    12. Mar 10, 2011 4:20 PM (in response to KristyBee)

Congratulations on deciding to be a healtier you! I started the c25k program in January, and I will admit, there were some rough spots. I repeated a few weeks because I didn't think my body (or my mind) was ready to move on to the next week, but this past Tuesday, I jogged 2.6 miles and it was great! During week 6, I was finding myself getting winded so quickly and counting the minutes before I could walk again, so got on here and asked for some advice. Everyone suggested that I slow down my pace, and it made all the difference in the world. I'm not going to "win" any races at this pace, but for me, this is all about getting fitter and developing a healthier lifestyle. If I can do that, and learn to love running, then I'll be a winner in my book!

Good luck!

• flyzippio Pro 116 posts since
    Jan 18, 2010
    13. Mar 11, 2011 7:03 AM (in response to helprunning)

I guess it all comes down to your definition of the word fun.... I haven't reached that point.  I enjoy knowing I'm helping myself, but not ready to say I actually think running is fun.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points