Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

59658 Views 330 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2011 11:56 AM by Goterps007 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 Previous Next
  • drojewski Rookie 54 posts since
    Dec 5, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. May 2, 2006 11:16 AM (in response to skypenny)
    Re: Coming Back after ACL Surgery ?

Hey Skypenny,
    I've missed talking to you! I was actually thinking about you the other day! Good job on the progress! A fall marathon, huh? Where are you thinking of going? It sounds as if things are finally starting to come together for you! Good, you've waited a long time for this!!! Are youdoing any shorter races to see where you are at?
    I am doing a 5k on Friday night, this race is to just get me back into racing again and take the rust off the wheels and also to see where I'm at as far as fitness. The real test will be on the 21st of May I have another 5k scheduled. I hate 5k's they are too fast, I like the longer distances. I promised my coach that I would ice that knee down well right after I finish that race. He is a little concerned about the course. it starts going down a big hill and finishes going back up that hill. The rest of the course is flat.
    I'm up to double digit miles I did my second 10 mile run last Saturday at a hilly park nearby. No issues or soreness and I was able to keep up with all of my running partners without any problems!! I'm up to running almost 40 miles a week with one of those days being a fartlek run. Next Wednesday I go to the track to do a workout. I am WAY ahead of where my coach and I thought I would be at this point!
    Yes, I am planning on doing a marathon this fall. I've narrowed it down to 5 solid choices. I would love to run a PR because like you I know I haven't reached my full potential yet. All I really want to do is requalify for Boston at this point. I really think that will not be a problem.
    Let me know where you are considering on doing your comeback marathon!!

• janel25 Rookie 19 posts since
    Dec 18, 2005
    32. May 3, 2006 6:34 AM (in response to skypenny)

Marycrow  so how did the surgery go.  Hope all is ok.  keep us posted

sending you speedy recovery wishes

Janelle

Dec 5, 2007
    34. May 4, 2006 1:31 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey Skypenny,

Yes, I do still have a few issues and squating down to get somthing off a shelf is an issue for me. I usually have to grab somthing. I feel like an old lady, when I get up from squatting! Funny!
    Cape Cod, huh? I have had mixed feelings on a few marathons. I have 5 considerations that I am struggling with right now. 1 Detroit (I always run well here and it's close to home with alot of support from running partners!) 2. Grand Rapids, never done but heard its a good one to run. 3 Philly This was the last marathon I did before my surgery and I really enjoyed it. 4. Memphis, I've heard good things here 5. Whistlestop in Wisconsin, again I've heard good things about this race. I am going for a BQ and I have lots of time to really be prepared.
    My running partners are all going to Chicago! This is close for me also, I just don't want to go there yet. I've heard great things about Chicago too!
    It sounds as if both of us are making a comeback. I don't have a pool nearby that I can go and swim at. I wish I did. I took lessons last summer and enjoyed it and can see where you could really benefit from swimming.
    Keep me updated on your progress! I enjoy hearing from you!

• Currently Being Moderated
    35. Jun 27, 2006 7:00 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi everyone. I tore my ACL last summer and pretty much destroyed all the meniscus on both sides of my knee. I had it all repaired a few months later. I had the patella tendon graft and half of the medial meniscus removed. The lateral meniscus was sewn back together. I have a scar about 5 or 6 inches long down my knee. It's quite a painful and frustrating experience. Obviously, I wouldn't want to do it again.
    I used to run before I injured myself - don't get on a trampoline drunk, that's all I'm saying - and I haven't had the courage to trying running any great distances yet. I bike a lot and use the elliptical trainer in the gym, and have few problems with my knee, though I can't kneel on hard surfaces. I would swim, but unfortunately I put on a bit of weight since my surgery (about 20lb). I want to start running again to try and lose a bit of the weight, but I'm a really nervous. I keep thinking I'm going to re-injure myself.
    Has anyone got any advice, as I'm quite unfit now, on getting back up to running 3-5 miles a day like I used to. How did people cope with the nerves?

• cuinacat Rookie 3 posts since
    May 7, 2006
    36. Dec 21, 2007 11:33 AM (in response to skypenny)

Hi fishjumper,

I tore my ACL last winter and waited about 4 months before having the reconstruction surgery (hamstring graft). It turns out that sometime shortly after my injury in Jan. 05 I formed a blood clot behind the affected knee. Despite having problems breathing in addition to other scary symptoms until even after my reconstruction surgery, nobody thought to link my skiing accident with the PE symptoms but eventually they determined that I had passed several clots to my lungs. After spending 5 months feeling like my body was broken (and I'm only 28!), I did start feeling better about 3 months or so after my surgery. I'm still being treated for the clots and most likely I'll be on blood thinners for the rest of my life, but as a new runner I feel like following a training program and journaling my progress has renewed my confidence in the way my body works.

My knee works well. I don't have quite the same degree of hyperextension as in the other knee and I still have a good bit of residual swelling from the blood clot, which along with the fading surgery scars is a little hard for my vanity! But starting with very modest goals and reminding myself to be happy with each accomplishment has in large part helped me to overcome the nervousness you mention.

Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by fishjumper: I want to start running again to try and lose a bit of the weight, but I'm a really nervous. I keep thinking I'm going to re-injure myself.
    Has anyone got any advice, as I'm quite unfit now, on getting back up to running 3-5 miles a day like I used to. How did people cope with the nerves?

[http://This message has been edited by cuinacat (edited Jun-28-2006).|http://This message has been edited by cuinacat (edited Jun-28-2006).]

Dec 5, 2007
    38. Jun 28, 2006 3:34 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi Fishjumper! Welcome to the world of ACL rehab! It will get better. I just had surgery on Dec 21 but, I had a cadaver tendon put in. My recovery was swift but, I agree with Skypenny. My PT's had me doing the same things. They had me on a treadmill doing increments by time 1 min of running 2 mins of walking and building from there. They also had me start by hanging onto the railings for support. ANother treadmill excercise that was given to me was turning around on the treadmill and walking backwards, pushing the belt with my legs. This is a great workout and my quads were killing me after the first time I did this. It got better and they had me do this for up to 10 mins. But, as far as the running they only started me out running twice a week under their guidance. At first I felt like it was taking forever to get back up and running consecutively. I was frustrated and feeling as if everyone (PT's and my coach) were holding me back. It was for my own good. One other thing I did alot was use the stationary bike at the gym. Once they got me started on that I became a fiend, because PT said I could do this as much as I wanted within reason. Biking at that time was my only outlet! As of today, I'm back up to 50 miles a week and having no problems at all(I'm not normal)!!!! I have returned to racing and smashing old PR's! I can't wait for my comeback marathon in October! All of my runs are stronger and solid. Hang in there and be patient, we are here for support. If you have a bad day this is where you need to come.

Hi Skypenny! I miss talking to you.

• OSNitro Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 3, 2006
    40. Jul 3, 2006 11:17 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hey, there hasn't been too much chat in the past few months...how's everyone doing?
    here's my story, and my questions, if anyone has an answer.

i'm 21 female, played D3 college basketball. my senior year, things looking great for the new season...and within the 1st 1/2 of the 2nd game of the season i tear my ACL. MRI shows complete tear, no other injuries. it was pretty devestating for me, since i needed 100 more points to be the 5th female at the college to score 1000 points in her college career. luckily, i was able to red-shirt the year, and i decided to try to come back to play for the next season.
    i had reconstructive surgery jan 3, 06...hamstring autograft. since i am exactly 6 months out, my sergeon says i'm ok to play basketball again. i, on the other hand, am nervous.

i am able to run with no knee problems...as some of you had previously said, the new knee just isn't the same, it's sore afterward (mostly just some soreness to go up stairs), and i ice after every run. within the past week i got fitted for a knee brace, which i've heard does provide some stabilization, but is mostly just for psychological support.

i guess my question is...does anyone know the chance of injuring the acl on the other knee? or reinjuring the new acl?
    i really want to play again, but i'm paranoid that i will get hurt again.

you guys seem to have similar stories and a real support forum here...thanks for your interest.

Jul 3, 2006
    41. Jul 3, 2006 11:23 PM (in response to skypenny)

Oops!! didn't notice there was a page 2!  i guess you guys have been chatting recently!  Good! 

• cuinacat Rookie 3 posts since
    May 7, 2006
    42. Jul 5, 2006 4:28 PM (in response to skypenny)

Hi OSNitro

My physical therapist mentioned that once you've torn one ACL that it's not uncommon to tear the other since it's really easy to rely too much on the uninjured knee instead of building back even strength on both sides. With running this is maybe not such an issue, since ACL tears aren't typical running injuries, but with skiing or other sports (soccer, basketball maybe?).
    Good luck with your recovery!

• niana Rookie 14 posts since
    Jul 8, 2006
    43. Jul 8, 2006 2:37 PM (in response to skypenny)

This is such an awesum website..i tore my acl on may 3rd while doing taekwondo ,the doc said tht if i want to lead a sedentry lifestyle i dont need a surgery but i do taekwondo..besides tht i run ( not a heavy runner like u guys but run 5 mils on the treadmill 5 days a week....also workout in the gymn with wts etc....i had the surgery ..acl reconstruction ...done two weeks ago on june 22nd...hamstring ..everything looks grt..i only used the crutches for a week...my phyiscal therapy starts in two days..am so looking forward for it...i have a ques....i have to take this trip to india  around 20th sept..haveto do a lot of walking there .. wot do u suggest /? shud i or shud i not..am a very self motivated person..i think i will do well with the PT n all..i nede opnion from the pros..wot do u guys thing abt the trip ??i will continue my PT there also at home..just going for 3 weeks only....help..help..help....lol

Jul 3, 2006
    44. Jul 12, 2006 5:25 PM (in response to skypenny)

hey niana,
    i'm pretty new to this forum also, but i'll offer my advice based on my recovery so far. i had the ham graft on jan 3rd of this year...so i'm about 6mths post-op. I'm not a runner, but i play basketball all the time, which is how i tore my acl.
    Like you, about 3 months after my surgery I went to NYC for the week (i'm not sure how long your trip is) but i did A LOT of walking there!
    I'm not gonna lie, I was sore, but it was nothing that i couldn't handle. I think doing the stairs was the hardest part, but still the ACL didn't get in my way of enjoying my vacation. I just made sure i iced it! If you do your PT and everything, i think by the time of the trip you'll know whether or not you can handle all that walking.
    good luck!

ps, a trip like that doesn't happen every day (for me anyway!), so weigh your options before you make a decision!!!

1 2 3 4 5 ... 23 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...