Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

842152 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 ... 133 134 135 136 137 ... 297 Previous Next
  • altoid77 Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    2,010. Mar 13, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to MamaBear56)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Hey MamaBear56, it's okay to cut yourself some slack now and then. It's disappointing, but listen to your body. I remember my first attempt at 8 miles. I'd been doing fine on my long runs, but I went out that morning, really struggled through my first 2 miles and then my legs were just like "nope, we're done. Not today, sorry." I had to walk all the way back. I tried to start jog again here and there, but no. My body needed rest and that was my wake up call. I took a few days off, shortened my long run the next week and overall, my training absorbed the unexpected delay just fine. Take care of yourself.

5/31/2010 - Gibbs Lake Gallop 5k trail run - 42:24

10/24/2010 - Wisconsin Dells Half Marathon - 2:56:49

4/9/2011 - Dash at the Dunes 5k trail run - 39:00

5/29/2011 - Madison Half Marathon

• indigopet Pro 95 posts since
    Jan 23, 2011
    2,011. Mar 13, 2011 2:48 PM (in response to jjv1946)

jjv - I ran my first, second and third 1/2 marathons last year.  I run a 5k race in about 35 minutes.  Each half took me right at 3 hours.  Not that it can't be done but improving from a 15mm to a 13:45mm is a BIG improvement - though I"m not saying that you can't do it!

A good race timing calculator can be found at Runners World.  You basically put in the speed that you have run and it will calculate your estimated finish time for a race at various distances.

http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/trainingcalculator/0,7169,s6-238-277-279-0-0-0-0-0,00.html?cm_mmc=Mag_URL-_-2008_August-_-Dean_Karnazes-_-Race_Prediction

I'd hate for you to not make an official time in your first half.  There are many 1/2 marathons with 3 1/2 or 4 hour time limits which would give you some wiggle room.

I would suggest looking at training programs in Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham (the Penguin) or one of Jeff Galloway's programs which can be found online or in his books.  Bingham's half training programs include a walk version, a walk/run version and a run/walk version.

The other thing I would suggest is that you sign up for a couple other races before your half if you haven't done so already.  Race day can be very exciting and it would be good to have some trial runs for the week before: what you need to eat to fuel sufficiently, getting your stuff ready the night before, how to deal with race morning once you're there, how you want to handle water stations (I walk through them) etc.

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

http://athlinks.com/racer/results/78782435

• PaintingLady Legend 906 posts since
    Dec 12, 2009
    2,012. Mar 13, 2011 3:29 PM (in response to MamaBear56)

MamaB, check out http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/hipsurgery/a/hippain.htm and see if it helps you figure out what your problem might be.  I "knew" I had a stress fracture before the mri confirmed it (didn't show up on x-rays).

Marie from Tennessee

Training for Disney 2013 Goofy Challenge.....Yes, I'm certifiably CRAZY!

61 year olds must be out of their minds to run a half marathon followed by a full the next day!

Disney Half Marathon 1/7/2012 2:37:59

Bear Hunt 5K 9/24/11 28:28 pb

Trojan Trek Trail 5K 8/6/11 31:45

Expo 10K 5/28/11 1:01:28,

Expo 10K 5/26/12 1:05:39

Eastman 10K 9/8/2012 1:01:11 pb

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." Hebrews 12:1

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    2,013. Mar 13, 2011 4:47 PM (in response to PaintingLady)

Thanks for the info Paintinglady.  I fell on the ice the week before my HM and landed on this hip.  Felt fine right afterwards but I'm  wondering it if might have caused a problem I wasn't aware of.  I'll sure be paying attention to it but don't want to believe it is fracture, especially since it really doesn't hurt when I run or get warmed up.  What led you to know your's was a stress fracture?

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• MamaBear56 Pro 168 posts since
    Dec 16, 2010
    2,014. Mar 13, 2011 4:49 PM (in response to altoid77)

Thanks for the note.  I know you are correct....it's just that with the gray, cold winter we've had it is hard to pass up a run in the sunshine

Betty a.k.a. MamaBear56

Started running/walking program December 1, 2010

2/26/2011 Snow Joke HM 3:30:14

3/26/2011 Missoula Make A Wish Foundation 5k 38:00

4/17/2011 Rocky Mountain Bank Summit Classic 10K 1:22:41

5/21/11 - West Valley School 5K 46:00??? (I know I can do better)

5/22/11 - Weight Watchers 5K Walk (Completed with some jogging, untimed)

8/6/11 - Roodell Run 10K 1:18:49

10/2/11 - Fernie, BC HM 3:25:06

"Whether you think can or think you can't...you are correct." Henry Ford

"If you limit what you are willing to do, you limit what you can do." Anonymous

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2,015. Mar 13, 2011 6:32 PM (in response to MamaBear56)

I hope all is okay and it's just a bruise, I got in a car accident a while ago  (had my seat bealt on). I felt fine afterwards and the next day I pain in some areas. take it easy!

• jjv1946 Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 4, 2011
    2,016. Mar 14, 2011 2:43 AM (in response to indigopet)

Thank you for the information.  I will check into that race calculator this week.  Since my last post; I have increased my

speed to 14mm.  I will also check into some local 5k runs in the area and go on my first run before the half..Right now,

I am concentrating on distance instead of speed and the longest run I have done is: 4 miles at 56 minutes.. Any

suggestions with regards to what kind of snacks  a person should carry on a race?  I don't know if I mentioned it but

I am also a type 2 diabetic and I would like to thank everybody that sends info on the posts because it really helps.

It is currently 34 degrees here in Pittsburgh..Have a nice day!!

• TX248 Amateur 25 posts since
    Feb 2, 2009
    2,017. Mar 14, 2011 6:02 AM (in response to retiredgirl61)

retiredgirl61 -

Thanks for the advice on form. The 5k was fun, although a little intimidating at first. Runners can really geek it out, can't they? It was fun just to people watch.

I had planned to walk the first 15 minutes and then try to jog the rest. But as we started, all the 1/2 marathoners who were running after us, were lining the street cheering us on. I hadn't anticipated that and felt like I had to run that stretch. There was way too much adrenaline pumping through me to walk it. So I ended up feeling the pain of shin splints early on and had to walk a lot after that. I ended up running maybe 1 - 1.5 miles of it in the end. Regardless, great experience. And while I was slow, I beat my average time.

I thought about my form the entire time, focusing on running on the balls of my feet instead of striking the heel. I felt like that was a small breakthrough. I know practice and time will help reduce the pain of the shin splints. And I've found a day of rest in between pays off huge for me too.

Next 5k is in April. Really hope to run the whole thing, but we'll see.

Happy running.

• Wideguy Legend 1,161 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    2,018. Mar 14, 2011 6:39 AM (in response to TX248)

TX248 wrote:

retiredgirl61 -

Thanks for the advice on form. The 5k was fun, although a little intimidating at first. Runners can really geek it out, can't they? It was fun just to people watch.

I thought about my form the entire time, focusing on running on the balls of my feet instead of striking the heel. I felt like that was a small breakthrough. I know practice and time will help reduce the pain of the shin splints. And I've found a day of rest in between pays off huge for me too.

Next 5k is in April. Really hope to run the whole thing, but we'll see.

Happy running.

Congrats on the run!   Good luck on continueing the transition.  just remember you don't necessarily want to stay completely on the balls of yoru feet. It's OK for your heel to tough, just only very lightly and not first. The shin pain should fade though. Enjoy!

C25K GRADUATE!
    Complete 10/30/10

And then I let it all go again. More "restarts" than I can count but I haven't given up hope or trying yet. So who knows what's possible.

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    2,019. Mar 14, 2011 9:11 AM (in response to TX248)

TX -- good job on the 5K.  Sounds like you started out too fast and had trouble maintaining your pace -- I think we all do it. It was a surprise to me to see people cheering for me as I trudged along slowly. But, now you know what to expect on the next one.  Wideguy is right -- be careful about running too much on the balls of your feet.  I've never had shin splints from running -- only from doing aerobics on the balls of my feet back in the olden days.  They're no joke.  I use a midfoot strike -- i.e. around the arch and a little on the heel.  You have to do what works best for you.  Just keep your core tight -- that makes a big difference.

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

Dec 14, 2007
    2,020. Mar 14, 2011 10:09 AM (in response to TX248)

Congrats on your 5k!

Jan 23, 2011
    2,021. Mar 14, 2011 12:21 PM (in response to jjv1946)

jjv - Snacks are really depend on the person.  Just make sure you train with the same snacks as you plan to use on race day.  You don't want to get to mile 7 and realize that you're going to have to visit the portapotties for the 3rd time already.

Some people go with just water alternated with sports drinks.  There are also gels and chunks and various other sports snacks you will find at your local running store.

Before the race, you want to go with mostly complex carbs at least an hour -two hours before the run.  Protein and fat will slow you down as they digest much slower.

Fueling will be a bit more complex for you with diabetes.  Do you do insulin, meds, or just control with diet/exercise?  I'm diabetic but am not on meds which makes it less complicated.  Your BG will drop as you know during a hard run.  The standard for fueling is 100-200 calories per hour depending on your weight, etc. Carbs are needed when you're putting out a big effort.  I don't know any low-carb eaters who run but I'm sure there are some.

You should be ok with just water for a first hour unless it's really hot and then you should alternate water with sports drinks or mixes to replace salt and electrolytes.  I can't stomach most sports drinks so I either dilute them or often I use Crystal Lite lemon/lime hydration mix.

If you aren't going to carry your own liquids, make sure you've gotten your system used to whatever sports drink will be used on course for your half.  Some of them can be rather harsh on your tummy at first.  If you find that this is the case, start by diluting it in 1/2 with water.

I eat a pop tart before a long run.  It gives me enough carbs to get me going without causing stomach upset from too much food.  I will carry sports chunks with me or gummy bears and pretzels.   Dehydrated fruit like apple and banana work for me too.

I wear a fuel belt with 4 bottles during a half marathon plus a spi belt for my Ipod so I have plenty of room to carry more than I should!  But I've been happy to have it as I'm slow and sometimes the water stations are rather slim- pickings near the back.

I have a doctor friend who runs.  He laughs at all the people buying expensive gels and such.  He's the one who turned me on to poptarts.  Anything that will fuel you enough without upsetting your stomach is good.  Like I said, just try it out before the actual race!

If you are on insulin or meds, you may want to consult with your doctor on how to keep an appropriate BG during and after the race.

I always bring chocolate milk to drink after the race.  It gives you protein which helps you to start healing those fine muscle tears.

PR: 5k - 31:45, 4 mile - 45:15, 8k - 53.52, 10k - 1:09:57, 10 mile - 1:54:07, 10NM - 2:19:11, HM - 2:39:17, Marathon - 6:04:12

Jan 23, 2011
    2,022. Mar 14, 2011 12:36 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi, I haven't introduced myself but jumped right in.

I was quite overweight and did the Avon 2 Day in Chicago in June 2009.  After training for that walk, I decided there was no where to go but down the road at a run. Or waddle.   I did my own version of a couch to 5k and ran my first 2 5ks in Oct 2009.  I didn't wear timing devices for either of those.  I just wanted to finish but finished unofficially around 45 minutes each time.

I've run about 19 races since then all timed.  My PR in a 5k is 35.14.  My PR in a half is 3:01:01. I've also run 8ks and one 10k.   I ran the RnR Chicago and Vegas half marathons in 2010 and also another one in Chicago called the Monster Dash on Halloween.   I've run some small local 5ks and some of the bigger races in Chicago.  I like each for various reasons but the crowds at the big races really get me going!

I've since lost quite a bit of weight between training and joining online weightwatchers.  I weighed in at 169 this morning and was close to 220 when I did the Avon walk in 2009.

I will be 50 this week and so will be in a new age group.  Not sure how happy I am about that!   I run many of the races with my brother who is 55 and a speedy boy.  He's always pushing me to go farther and do have some conservative time goals but mostly I just love feeling strong when I run.  I probably would have broken 3 hours in Vegas if I hadn't stopped to take pictures along the way and send them to my husband.  Heck, I was running past our wedding chapel - how could I not stop.

I have a favorite shirt from the store One More Mile (mentioned above) that says Finishing is Winning.  I put it on after every race.

I'm signed up for 3 halfs this year along with some 5ks, 8ks, etc.  My big scary thing is that I've signed up for the Chicago Marathon.  My goal is to finish to get an official time (needs to be 6 1/2 hours).  Even if I don't make that, I know I can finish - I've already walked that distance with the Avon Walk.  Of course when I finished the first day of the Avon, I said that it was crazy talk to EVER go that distance again.  I've always heard that humans don't remember pain because women would never have more than one baby.  I've never had a child so I'm assuming for me it's so I will keep running some of the longer distances!

I do have a question - I've only used a cheap stopwatch at races.  I'd really like to get a Garmin 405.  Does anyone use them?  I think that I'd actually train more efficiently with a heartrate monitor.

• retiredgirl61 Pro 171 posts since
    Dec 3, 2010
    2,023. Mar 14, 2011 2:00 PM (in response to indigopet)

Hi Indigo -- welcome to the thread.  You have quite a history! Very impressive list of races, too.

I have a Garmin 310XT with a heart rate monitor, which I just got early last week and I really love it.  It would be more than you need -- it is waterproof and is intended for triathalon so you can track multiple sports and set up custom workouts.  It was very pricey at about $300.  However, one of the women I run with has a Garmin and I think she said it was a 305 or a 405.  I think she said she paid about $160 for it.  I don't know if it has a heart rate monitor, though. Both of them have GPS so you always know how far you've run, stopwatch, etc. You can also download your training info to the internet and track it over time.  I have to warn you though, they are UGLY!  Bright orange and bulky -- definitely not a fashion statement. There are other Garmin models as well.  I think Timex also makes something similar.  You might want to go to Amazon.com -- there's a lot of options.

If all you want is just a heart rate monitor, though, you can get just that for considerably less money.  I have a Polar monitor with a wrist watch type readout.  I like it because the chest strap also works with many treadmills, etc, with built in monitors.  You can set the treadmill to change speed or incline to produce and maintain a given heart rate.  You're right, it's a good training tool.  I think it was a little under $100 and there were models that were less expensive.  But -- no GPS and all the other bells and whistles.

Good luck with your training -- I'm interested to hear about your adventures!

ps -- don't worry about being 50.  It's a great age because you have learned a lot about yourself and you're just now ready to prove what you are capable of.  You are just now hitting your stride and you will accomplish a lot in the coming years.  I can tell from your posting that you will be having a lot of fun!

Retired, but not watching TV much

Started walking/running 9/2010

Folsom Turkey Trot 5 K 2010 (walked)

Valentines Day 4 mile run, 2/12/11 1:00:30

Starting triathalon training w/coach 3/1/11

Komen Sacramento Race for the Cure 5K 5/7/11 (walk with friends)

Tri for Fun Sprint 6/4/11 (2:55)

Crew for Bike Team, Race Across America 6/16-26/11 (6 days, 16 hr, 7 min)

Tri for Fun Sprint 7/9/11 (2:46)

Tri for Fun Sprint 8/7/11 (2:31)

Luna Bar Women's Tri 9/11/11 (3:17)

Golden State Sprint Tri 10/9/11 (DNF)

Dec 14, 2007
    2,024. Mar 14, 2011 4:26 PM (in response to indigopet)

Hello and Welcome! 

I have a Garmin 305 we got it cheap from Amazon

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...