Skip navigation

6429 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: May 3, 2011 9:47 AM by larkspur_runner RSS
larkspur_runner Amateur 9 posts since
Nov 30, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 14, 2011 9:50 AM

Wheel Hub Conversion

I have a couple questions regarding a possible hub conversion.

A friend gave me a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL Superlight Premium wheels as a gift. However, I have a 2009 Specialized Allez Sport road bike with Shimano components, which means I'll need to convert the Ksyriums to Shimano hubs, plus a new cassette for the rear wheel.

1. Is this a conversion I can easily do myself? My knowledge of bike components and repairs is very basic. I have a copy of Zinn's Road Bike
  2. Maintenance Manual that gives some instructions on the process, and I am always game to learn about bike maintenance/upgrades through DIY projects. Nonetheless, I don't want to do any permanent damage to my bike or the wheels. If I do it myself, are there any tips, hints, or aspects of this process that I should be aware of to make it go more smoothly?
  3. Any recommendations on a specific type of Shimano hub? If it helps, I ride in SF Bay Area, so most of the races for which I will be using these wheels will include steep climbs and drops.

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

• Chocolate Thunder 303 Pro 69 posts since
    Jan 8, 2008
    1. Mar 15, 2011 2:02 PM (in response to larkspur_runner)
    Re: Wheel Hub Conversion

Wow, that's a heckuva friend!  Nice gift.

Yes, this is something you can easily do yourself, or have your LBS do it for you.  If you know what you're doing, it only takes a few minutes.  If  you don't know what you're doing this will take a few minutes more, but it's something you can definitely do yourself.  Unless you actually blow up the hub you can't do too much damage to it.  At the very least, take it to the LBS and have them look at it, and maybe make sure you have the right tools.

Most of the wrenches at the LBS are happy to share the wealth of knowledge.  Even moreso if you are willing to say thanks.

As far as which type of shimano hub, I'm confused.  Mavic has a freehub converter you can buy from Mavic.  I would suggest that one.  I assume you're going from campy to shimano?  SRAM and Shimano use the same freehub.  If you're referring to the cassette (grouping of gears) to put on said hub, I would suggest the same gearing you're currently riding.  If you're going to climb and depending on what kind of gearing  you have in the front, I would suggest a 12-25 or a 12-27.  Are you a good climber now? If you're a good climber now, you can probably get away with a more aggressive gearing.

Does that help?

CT

Jan 8, 2008
    3. Mar 16, 2011 8:48 PM (in response to larkspur_runner)

Larkspur-

No problem.  It's kind of silly that SRAM and Shimano have been able to figure it out, but campy has to be "that guy" and wreck the whole works.  It seems like it would make more sense to just make that freehub universal, right?  People that get paid more than you and I no doubt are making that decision.

It looks like you already have the bible for bike repair, and I'm not sure what else I would suggest.

Like I mentioned, most of the wrenches at the LBS are happy to help.  If they're not, just try another shop and don't return to the first one.

The one point I would make about bike maintenence is know when you're in too far and don't be afraid to ask for help. The truth is, you can really muck up some parts, and it's more likely the more expensive parts are going to fail before the cheap ones.  I worked in a bike shop for a good long time during my formative years and I learned quite a bit.  However as technology changes and improves, I know my knowledge is a bit dated.  The fellas at the LBS know me by name because I try to ask before I blow it up.

Lastly, about learning this stuff, just ask people what they're riding and if they like it.  You can learn a lot about that stuff by just being social.

Good luck and post how it went!

CT

Jan 8, 2008
    5. Mar 28, 2011 2:28 PM (in response to larkspur_runner)

Larkspur,

How did it turn out?

CT

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points