Cannondale Aluminum Road Bike

Just tuned up, or so the article says

Has

Trek Bike Computer

New Shimano 7 speed rear casset

Shimano RSX drivetrain

Mavric CXP 10 Wheelset

Bontrager Stlect tires.

and all the original documentation and manuals...

from what i can see in some pictures the bike looks to be in excelent condition. it has an R400 2.8 aluminum frame but i am not totally sure on what year the bike is. i am looking into it but i would like to know if it is a good deal. the add has a price of $500 OBO. i am willing to pay but not if it is not worth it.

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Feb 18, 2011 2:07 PM (in response to AJLuby)
    Re: Good Bike Deal??

Tough question to answer.  Is this a road bike or mountain bike?  How often do you want to ride? It's hard to tell by pictures but I would say you could do better by adding maybe $300-$400 to that budget price and get something new with much better features.  Bike computers are a dime a dozen now also.

The choice is yours.  Do a little homework before you jump into a purchase.  You will be much more pleased with yourself and your bike if you do that.

• Gotta Ride Today Amateur 26 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    2. Feb 22, 2011 1:57 PM (in response to AJLuby)

Here is a link http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=2004&Brand=Cannondale&Model=R400+Triple&Type=bike

Looks like the bike was around $700 when new if it is a 2004 model.  Check its condition first, look espeically at the cables, and derailleurs,  then offer $375 or $400 and haggle.  Used bikes never bring the price the seller thinks they should.  Been there, tried to sell one or two in my past.  I guess that's one reason why I have more bikes in the garage than I should.  I usually end up making a great price to a friend "new to cycling" with the hope I am going to get another riding partner.  Mor often than not its a good trade off. 

Gotta Ride Today

aka Chuck Faulkner

Tazewell, TN 37987

http://www.jeffrothcyclingfoundation.org/

• richardjoven Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 21, 2010
    3. Feb 22, 2011 6:51 PM (in response to Gotta Ride Today)

Those site has a  good bike deal and also a good specs.

• coinrat Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 30, 2010
    4. Mar 9, 2011 7:46 AM (in response to AJLuby)

Hey,,,,500 seems a bit steep.  The componentry that you listed seems older, and a bit outdated.

If I can make a suggestion, compare the bike to some of the road bikes on Giantnerd.com they have great prices.

I have had nothing but good experiences with them. you can even negotiate free shipping.

Do some internet research on the bike that this guy is offering, but generally the price is a bit high.

• wrightjasond Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    5. Mar 15, 2011 3:04 PM (in response to AJLuby)

We own a bike shop and $500 is expensive for that age bike and components (the bikepedia post is a great start to see if the original spec components are still on the bike).  I'm not trying to sell you a bike but to give you a reference point, we have 2010 closeout road bikes which are brand new/never ridden (with warranties) for only $549 (example: 2010 Cannondale CAAD8 8s).  A brand new 2011 model is only $799.. again, all with warranties.  Even if the used bike is in excellent condition, you'll still need to take it to a shop or someone who really knows bikes to make sure it's safe to ride (worn tires, worn brake pads, properly adjusted derailleurs, etc). I can't tell you how often we have customers who buy bikes on eBay or elsewhere only to find that components are worn out or bad (dead wheels, shifters w/ bad springs, stretched chains, etc).

My final piece of advice is to buy from a bike shop or get other help to ensure proper fit.  Each manufacturer's bike geometry is different.  Unless you've ridden this specific size in a Cannodale before, it may not be the right fit for you.  Good luck and hope you find the right bike for you.

• GarylDavis Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    6. Mar 15, 2011 3:59 PM (in response to AJLuby)

Hey there!!  Hope all is well, but the last post should be a major step in helping you to purchase a bike.  Heck, like I said earlier, a little homework and maybe a couple extra dollars and you can probably find exactly what you want for just a few dollars more.

Anyway, happy bike hunting and keep us posted.

• MotiveForcer Community Moderator 448 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    7. Mar 20, 2011 5:20 AM (in response to GarylDavis)

Great advice so far. In my opinion a seven speed rear cassette is not worth the bother. Shimano is up to ten now and Campy to eleven so this is clue to the age of this bike.  What is the purpose of purchasing the bike? To get into serious road riding or just to tool around or an entry level bike for teen who is going to outgrow it in one season?

EJ LEVY

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points