Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

69557 Views 427 Replies Latest reply: May 22, 2011 12:06 PM by seb34 RSS Go to original post 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29 Previous Next
  • okiejane Amateur 8 posts since
    Jan 5, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    210. Mar 16, 2011 11:37 AM (in response to brokefoot)
    Re: Anyone else starting C25K TODAY??

I'd like to invite you all to read my lates blog post - all about starting C25K!

I think it adds a bit of humor to the whole thing!

Enjoy!

http://www.coherentlychaotic.com/2011/03/you-cannot-propel-yourself-forward-by.html

• mamayax Amateur 9 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    211. Mar 16, 2011 2:52 PM (in response to 1974mom)

I did the 8 minute runs today W5D2.  I think I just might be able to do this!!!  Not sure how Friday will go but if brokefoot can do it as a smoker than I should be able to do it (good job on cutting back, if you can run 20 minutes you should be able to quit smoking, good luck as you continue your quest to be smoke free).  I just might make myself into a runner yet!

• Sikan Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 13, 2009
    212. Mar 16, 2011 3:49 PM (in response to brokefoot)

Week 7 Run 1 Completed and it was GREAT! I most run on a dreadmilll, but don't dread it like brokefoot because I'm in a window and my only other option would be to run outside in the dark and I don't like the idea of running at night. On the weekends if it not pouring out I'll run outside and am currently looking for a very lightweight water resistant jacket to wear so I can run on the light rainy days.

SOmeone asked in a previous post where we got our podcasts from, mine is from iTunes and it's the NHS Couch to 5k which I believe is also available at their website http://www.nhs.uk/LiveWell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, but some of the music is not that great, but it's better than no music!

Goodluck everyone and keep up the good work! If  you're looking for motivation sign up for a 5k and get a bunch of your friends and family members to join you! That's exactly what I have done and many of have never ran a 5k before. The goal is to run the entire course and finish and not worry about speed/time.

• dfranceliacarter Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 11, 2010
    213. Mar 16, 2011 4:14 PM (in response to okiejane)

This may be a stupid question but, what is C25K?

• BullyMommy Amateur 10 posts since
    Apr 10, 2008
    215. Mar 17, 2011 5:24 AM (in response to brokefoot)

I did it!  I did W3D1 yesterday, and it wasn't horrible.  It felt good, actually.  nanamary1959, you were right, not as bad as I thought it would be.  I am looking forward to doing it again tomorrow.

I am a bit SOL, I run in my neighborhood, and the roads are concrete, same as the sidewalks. 

401K - I listen to Robert Ullrey Podcasts for Running, Couch to 5K.  They are available on iTunes.  The music has a techno/trans feel, but it isn't horrible.  The tenor of his voice is comforting, in a way.

Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone, and happy running!

• anijh Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 12, 2011
    216. Mar 17, 2011 5:34 AM (in response to BullyMommy)

Happy St. Patty's Day everyone!

• CatPyn Expert 63 posts since
    Feb 21, 2011
    217. Mar 17, 2011 7:17 AM (in response to brokefoot)

Have not been commenting here lately, I have been running but do not have the same enthusiasm as when I first started back on January 03.  I am doing W6 over again, can't seem to get that extra 1/4 mile in there.  Ran outside for the first time today, had to avoid puddles and icy patches but I did pretty well.  Ran 2 miles without stopping.  I found it easier than heading to the gym to run on the treadmill, just put on my runners and head out the door but still had to talk to myself about getting to the next corner or stop sign before I can stop and walk but managed to keep running.  Does it really get easier when you can just run and not think about the distance or time?

Cathleen - Age 52

Started running 03 Jan 2011

Graduate C25K - 10 April 2011

First 5K - Mother's Day Run - May 8 - 38:44

Emilie's Run 5K- June 25

• 1974mom Pro 102 posts since
    Feb 15, 2011
    219. Mar 17, 2011 11:22 AM (in response to brokefoot)

Completed week 5 today! Me? It hardly seems like something I could do....go figure! Me, running 20 minutes straight!

The run went amazingly smooth and when the voice on my podcast said "you are half way there", I knew I could finish no problem.

HOWEVER, I am now icing my knee because it really hurts. I have wondered when you knew if you were doing too much too soon....I think I got my answer. I think I really should have put a 2 day break between these runs rather than  just one day. Shoot! I am thinking about taking off the next 3 days to rest my knee and then start week 6 on Monday. Do you think a 3 day break is too long?

Registered for my first 5K...coming up on 4/10 (hoping to finish in under 40 minutes)!

• Sikan Amateur 28 posts since
    Jan 13, 2009
    222. Mar 17, 2011 12:04 PM (in response to brokefoot)

Woo hoo! Week 7 Run 2 completed! Wondered how I would do since I at a VERY VERY bad dinner; oatmeal raisin cookies. I just knew the sugar would sabotage me! Amazingly they did not and it was a good run! But I do not endorse or condone such a dinner and think I prefer to get my run completed first thing in the a.m. instead of in the evening after the kids have gone to bed... after 9pm that's just too late!

1947mom be careful and take however long of a break you need in between runs to recover. You have to do what feels right and works for you. Just don't give up! As you have proven, YOU CAN DO THIS!

I don't know if anyone lives in the Pacific NW, but there is a great fun run coming up in July in Seattle. Get more info here: http://www.seejanerun.com/t-See-Jane-Run-SEATTLE-Half-Marathon-and-5K-Sponsorship-Opportunities.aspx I'm planning to participate in it! It sounds marvelous!

Have a great week everyone and continue the wonderful progress you all are making!

P.S. FYI changed my nickname from ESTJR to 1Sikan.

• Laurag29 Amateur 14 posts since
    Apr 15, 2009
    223. Mar 17, 2011 1:21 PM (in response to 1974mom)

Completed week 5 today! Me? It hardly seems like something I could do....go figure! Me, running 20 minutes straight!

The run went amazingly smooth and when the voice on my podcast said "you are half way there", I knew I could finish no problem.

Congrats 1974Mom!  You did it!!!  20 minutes straight, I just can't believe it.  I do think what a huge jump though, from 5 minutes on week 4 up to 20 the very next week? I'm thinking that's really a push and the body said "whoa!".  I would take a couple extra days off, or just do some walking and give the muscles a chance to catch up.  But holy mackerel - you've got to feel great!

Going to do W3D3 again tonight, then give it a couple days and start week 4 again.  I don't like the going backwards, but as long as I don't quit I'm gonna give myself kudos for sticking with it.

Anijh, glad you are keeping with it even through your tough time - that says tons about your commitment.

Keep on running everyone and Happy St. Pattys Day!

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 29 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...