Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3210 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2011 8:46 PM by reddolp50 RSS
happytoes Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 16, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 17, 2011 8:04 PM

Birth of a new me!

Hello everyone!  Today was my first day of W1.  The hardest part was getting out of bed, but I got excited once I put on my workout clothes.  I walked 30 minutes to a park and did the training there.  It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be!  I'm someone who is normally self-conscious about jogging outside. I found that having instructions on when to jog and walk kept me too focused to care about the people who probably weren't watching me anyway. I missed the physical activity.  I don't know why I ever stopped going to the gym...  I'm not taking any excuses this time.  Here's to a healthier, fitter me.

One thing that concerns me is my left knee.  The right side of it feels off when I bend it.  I suspect I moved it in a odd way while  jogging today.  I think I may have moved it inwards?  I don't know. It's not a sharp pain; I'll keep an eye on it and monitor how it feels as I progress.

Did anyone else start today?  We could be buddies. : )

• docedwards Expert 43 posts since
    Mar 6, 2011
    1. Mar 17, 2011 9:49 PM (in response to happytoes)
    Re: Birth of a new me!

Congratulations! You mentioned the knee pain, so if you're not stretching, make sure you do. Good luck.

Alive and Running from beautiful Oxford, AL

Personal Bests (m/53)

5K- 23:04

10K- 49:55

Half-marathon- 1:50:58

• s874 Pro 81 posts since
    Dec 10, 2009
    2. Mar 17, 2011 10:58 PM (in response to happytoes)

Hello Happytoes! Good for you! I don't really have any advice that I can give about your knee, but I did want to mention that when I first started running, my knees used to hurt and start to seize up. Now that I've been running for quite a while, I don't have any knee troubles the way I used to. I think that the muscles that support my knees have gotten strong now, and the knee problems that I had as a newer runner just aren't an issue.

Mostly I just wanted to say Good for you! Keep it up! I don't know what I'd do without the stress relief, awesome fitness benefits, and just the fun that I have running!

Sondra

• drbojangles Pro 110 posts since
    Mar 7, 2011
    3. Mar 18, 2011 2:50 AM (in response to happytoes)

Congratulations on starting! Looking forward to seeing how you get on!

• Angelbeach Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 18, 2011
    7. Mar 18, 2011 7:42 AM (in response to happytoes)

Congrats HappyToes, I just started my training yesterday too, it was a lot better than I expected. I had very minor knee pain but that is somewhat expected for me since I busted my knee playing softball when I was about 23, and then playing soccer most of my life surely didn't help. However I think my knee pain was just from being lazy for the last year and a half, I also have a little soreness in one ankle and only very slightly sore in my quads. I am sure once your muscles get stronger your knees will feel better.

I am no medical professional so take my advice as a n00b but my doctor had me do some exercises to strengthen my knee after I busted it, luckily it wasn't too bad so I didn't major rehab or anything. He had me sit in a chair and put a 5 or 10 pound weight on top of my toes and movie my foot up and down. It helps strengthen the muscles on the sides of the knees which should make your knees more stable. You could do this on your off days, you don't need to do too much just go until your foot/ankle gets tired then switch feet, at first it seems like you can only do four or five but it gets easier without you even knowing. It helped me a lot after my injury, I was back to playing soccer in 6 months.

Well I look forward to hearing about your progress, my first day went well minus a few hitches, I accidentally set my timer to an hour and I jogged about 4 minutes before I realized it, then I accidentally stoppped my timer in the middle of a jog interval but I caught it early, so only ran an extra 30 seconds. I think those two killed me at the end of my session, I had to take two minute walk intervals instead of a minute and a half. I need to get my pace down, I think I am jogging a little too fast.

Good Luck!

• flamomof3 Legend 1,927 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    8. Mar 18, 2011 8:34 AM (in response to happytoes)

Congrats and good luck!

• flippinmental74 Expert 41 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    9. Mar 19, 2011 3:36 AM (in response to happytoes)

hi happy toes i started wk1 day 1 on 17th march too, my legs felt like lead yesterday but i had no pains just aches in my thighs and bum.i found it okay but on my way back there was an incline so i struggled a bit. i felt self conscious running/walking but who cares? im looking forward to seeing the pounds melt off as im working my way towards   i plan to do wk1 day 2 today 19/3/11 and day 3 on 21/3/11 and im dreading the increase to 2 min runs!! we can support each other here. im reasonably fit, have a wii fit, do aerobics and step aerobics but i have never been a 'runner'. ive entered my first 5k charity run which is called 'race for life' its for cancer research uk and its on the 3rd july so im hoping to be running 5k runs 3 times a week by then without breaking a sweat!!

keep me informed about how you are doing

joanne

• reddolp50 Legend 461 posts since
    Mar 17, 2011
    10. Mar 19, 2011 8:46 PM (in response to happytoes)

Way to Go HT:

Good for you to focus on your health and fight forward for that.  The knee pain - agree with the posts stating stretch it out.  I find that stretching is never overdone, keep it up and cheering you on!

Penguins Rule, Penguin On, Penguin UP!

Don't Put That Crap in Your Mouth There is no finish line.....Nike Advertisement

10/29/11 5k Chocolate Beano 42.52

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points