Skip navigation

3801 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Mar 22, 2011 12:18 PM by balla2011 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
BrianGarrido Rookie 5 posts since
Mar 20, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 20, 2011 7:56 PM

Help for a beginner?

Hey guys my name is Brian and I'm 16 years old. I play football, but recently I decided I want to give basketball a try. I bought shoes (Jordan 85 Evolutions) and I never played basketball when i was younger I was a football/soccer kid and I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how I can develop the fundamentals of the game? I'm a good athlete and I play good defense and rebound well because of my football background, but any tips on how to improve dribbling and shooting would be helpful thanks!

• BeatTheBest Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    1. Mar 21, 2011 8:24 AM (in response to BrianGarrido)
    Re: Help for a beginner?

Glad to hear that you decided to play basketball !!! What position are you planning on playing? Because as you know different players need different drills.

But here are some basics.

If you're planning on being a guard.

1) Practice all net (swishes) shots. At first close to the basket, make 10, then step out a bit, and all the way to the 3-point line. If you can't swish 1 out of 10 then that shot is out of your range for now... And concentrate on your form. This is a pretty good article http://www.ihoops.com/practice-time/shooting/learning-the-jump-shot.htm, but if you don't want to read the whole article then here's a summary.

1. Square up your feet to the basket.

2. Hold the ball with two hands ( Your shooting hand under the ball, and your "supporting" hand on the side), your elbow should be at a 90 degree angle.

3. Raise your arms so the ball is right above your head. ( You should be able to see the basket)

4. Move your wrist back

5. Bend your knees

6. Smoothly jump and move your wrist and elbow toward the basket.

7. Follow through ( Following through is VERY important.) This is basically moving your wrist down quickly so the ball gets backward spin on it. That's useful because if you hit the rim the ball might spin into the hoop.

2) Practice dribbling.

1. Always dribble hard, so if a defender will try to swat it away you'll still have it.

2. Practice dribbling with your left hand. ( Same thing as with your right hand)

3. A lot of people make the mistake of dribbling the ball with their palm. You have to use the tips of your fingertips, might feel awkward at first but gives you better control.

4. Always keep your eyes up when you're dribbling, if you want to be a guard you have to dribble while looking for the open man or if a certain play is done.

5. Watch these videos http://www.ihoops.com/practice-time/ball-handling/Perfecting-the-Fake-Crossover-Dribble.htm

6. Just do a couple of crossover dribbles, behind the back, fake crossovers, stuff like that.

Reply if you're planning on playing center or forward, so I can write some other stuff.

• 23AirJordan Legend 607 posts since
    Mar 20, 2011
    2. Mar 21, 2011 7:41 AM (in response to BeatTheBest)

Basketball is a great sport but takes a little while to catch on. What I always do to improve my dribbling is get two basketballs and dribble them both at the same time or go up and down the driveway or the basketball court and dribble righty there and then dribble lefty back and so on. For shooting you should just practice your jump shot or look on some of the videos on iHoops.com. What position are you hoping to play?

"I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."-Michael Jordan

• balla2011 Legend 285 posts since
    Feb 26, 2011
    3. Mar 21, 2011 9:20 AM (in response to BrianGarrido)

aight bud im not going too lie your just starting basketball at 16?

dude i've been since i was like 5 and im still working on stuff it might be too late because all these people havent played like i have most likely nobody understand the work you have too put in too be great theres so much u have too work on you gotta work on your exlplosion, agility, dribbling, your shot, your footwork, balance, quickness im telling you dude it takes hrs too be good so im just preparing you.

• BeatTheBest Amateur 20 posts since
    Mar 21, 2011
    4. Mar 21, 2011 9:29 AM (in response to balla2011)

It's never too late to start playing... I have NEVER touched a basketball until I was 12. I tried out for the team, I made it just cuz I was tall, and then I fell in love with basketball. I'll be honest, my first season SUCKED. BUT during the summer I practiced my butt off ( At least 3-5 hours a day), and when school started I was much better than everyone cuz most of them didn't practice much. So if you practice a lot, you might get as good as players around you(or even better). If you plan on going to the NBA or playing hoops for a scholarship, then you need to practice MORE than a lot. Just like practice every second of your spare time, and then theres still no guarantees that you'll make it.

Feb 26, 2011
    5. Mar 21, 2011 9:41 AM (in response to BeatTheBest)

exactly my point 12 is still a good age but 16 may be too late cause it takes so much time and hard work too get good, and perfect your skills

but man if you really wanna be good its on you if you drill yourself every day for hours you'll become a good player.

• ElLatino Amateur 18 posts since
    Mar 12, 2011
    6. Mar 21, 2011 11:33 AM (in response to balla2011)

yes maybe he is a quite late but you can start playing basketball at 16 and be a great player if you love the game.

• killerbeast Amateur 23 posts since
    Mar 19, 2011
    7. Mar 21, 2011 6:29 PM (in response to BrianGarrido)

One thing that I would suggest is for the dribble just practice all different moves like in and out, behind the back, between the legs. To improve on your ball handling skills when you have free time sit down and dribble the ball under your legs. For shooting mak.e sure you get arc on your shot. Make sure you use your legs and follow through. Also when your shooting make sure that you snap your wrist

Feb 26, 2011
    8. Mar 21, 2011 10:03 PM (in response to killerbeast)

also practice game like things like what i do is i practice my drive too the basket so when im out there for real i can just work on perfecting everything.

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    9. Mar 21, 2011 11:03 PM (in response to BrianGarrido)

Brian

First of all, it's never too late, especially if you're a good athlete. Some guys play ball all their lives, but maybe lack other things like aggressiveness. I would look online for dribbling drills and some tips on the proper mechanics of shooting. Anything under Steve Nash would probably work, especially for shooting. ( I actually am going to post some shooting instruction on my website soon, which may help......look for it on www.zaciswack.com or www.MyPersonalBasketballCoach.com )

But just as important for you at this point is to play. Play-play-play. You need to play all the time. ( 1 on 1, 2 on 2, 3 on 3, 5 on 5 ) Whatever you can find and whomever you can find to play with, do it. You need to learn and understand the game. You need to learn how to get open, move without the ball, read the defense, timing of your passes, where you should go in relation to the ball, how to cut, etc. There are so many things, but you can do it.

The key is your aggressiveness, rebounding and defense. Forget what anyone else tells you. Look at Dennis Rodman or Chris Anderson ( The Birdman ) for Denver. These guys are not great offensive players, but they do rebound and play great defense.

If you have any more questions, I'm here to help.

Good luck.

Coach Beez

www.twitter.com/askcoachbeez

www.MyPersonalBasketballCoach.com ( go here to find my email )

www.zaciswack.com

Attachments:

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

• Coach Beez Legend 160 posts since
    Feb 4, 2010
    11. Mar 22, 2011 10:17 AM (in response to BrianGarrido)

Brian

I'm guessing the point guard, but at minimum a 2 guard. Only problem is you need to know how to dribble with either hand, pass, and shoot. Again, depending on how motivated you are, you can look online for ball handling drills. With ball handling, you're going to have to spend a half hour every day at least to get where you want to be. Takes alot of discipline.

Shooting the same. And besides good shooting form, you need to be able to shoot off the catch, off the screen, and off the dribble.

Lastly, passing is crucial. You have to be able to make a variety of passes ( chest pass, bounce pass, over the head pass ) with accuracy. Beyond the fundamentals of passing, you will need to be able to read the floor, have excellent timing on your passes, understand what type of pass to give in each situation, pass off penetration, and pass in the open court.

So either a 1 or 2 guard, but with the understanding that you must practice everything listed above every day.

Wish I could help you, as I work as a private instructor. However, I'm out in California.

Good luck.

Coach Beez

Attachments:

Yo, what up fools?: It's me, " THE MAN " , Zac Ryan. Even though I'm a cartoon character, I can still ball chump! So if you like basketball, then come check me out and read all my comic strips at:

www.zaciswack.com

I'm out.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points