Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

163373 Views 602 Replies Latest reply: Feb 7, 2013 9:53 AM by DD1509 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 41 Previous Next
  • valleyrunner Rookie 6 posts since
    Apr 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Dec 21, 2007 11:47 AM (in response to coloradolora)
    Re: Hip Arthroscopy & Labral Tear: Please help!

PLEASE: Read this post if you're continuing to run on your injury!

Hi Everyone,
    Since seeing Dr. Philippon (Steadman Clinic/Vail, CO), I kind of checked out from this post (which I first started this summer, I think). I kind of gave up and submitted to feeling completely overwhelmed trying to negotiate this. I have some updates, (and now I realize how stupid it was for me to drop out of contact because the people posting here are the ones who get it more than 99% of the folks in my world.)

Background:
    The technical language for what my June MRI confirmed:

Tears through the lateral acetabluar labrum, some fluid, an edema in the right pubis symphysis, partial avulsion of that attachment of the tendon of the abductor longus muscle<br /><br />Dr. Philippon proposed this surgery: Right hip arthroscopy with labral repair, rim  trimming (shaving my hip bone), and an osteoplasty. <br /><br />I continued to run, not in the same compulsive fashion I was, but not intelligently either. I could have scheduled the surgery much sooner, but I wasn’t ‘suffering’ beyond changing my running distances, and I was fighting insurance (and still don't have an answer from them, but I'm going ahead with the surgery anyway.) However, about 12 days ago (Thanksgiving night) I ended up in the ER in more pain than I have ever been in my lifeI was back the next morning and a shot of morphine and two pain pills got it bearable, but not good. For the last 12 days I have been on "bed rest" and drugs. I got fed up four days in and went to work for five hours and it was a huge mistake.

I have little idea what to do. I called the Steadman clinic but they are, at this point, not willing to re-consider my surgery date (March) and are referring to this as a "flare up." (?!) I'm seeing a sympathetic general prac tomorrow and she's hoping to call Steadman and advocate for them to at least see me, but I’m not too hopeful.

As far as what I'd beg any of you to hear—be careful if you have this injury! Even if it doesn’t ‘hurt’ right now. I did slow down my running, and in my mind I’d given up a lot of my neurotic training demands, but still, I continued to run on this, gently, maybe three times a week, a couple longer runs in the last 8 weeks (14 miles, 8 miles) and I didn't really feel too bad. This hit pretty suddenly (so it could for you, too!) Two weeks ago I came home from a shorter run (and pilates) and felt like something had 'changed.' Over four days, a new pain started, same exact area (I can feel exactly where my tears are) and this pain got worse and worseAt first I only felt pain when I was sitting in a erect position. This was the state I was in 24 hours before I ended up in the ER. I still don't know what happened, but I never experienced my initial injury like this (it was more an 'inkling' something was wrong after distance runs that sent me in for the MRI in Junebut no kind of real sustaining pain.)

So, that's my plug for you to all be careful.

I'm also wondering if anyone can help me. I feel like I'm so far out of league in negotiating this world. Because this is so specialized, I can't get anyone to see me. People tell me to get a second opinion, but from who? People tell me to be careful of ‘experimental surgery,’ but what other options are there? I'm terrified right now b/c I can't stay in this statebed rest and drugs until March. I'm wondering if I should push to get another MRI? I think my condition has dramatically changed. Also, is this just normal, to not be able to meet with these doctors or have much communication? Has anyone else ended up in the kind of shape I am now? I'm really scared not knowing what's going on with my body and what will be able to be done, and when. I also read this as being an 'experimental surgery' where we're not able to see what the results of this look like ten years down the road. Although, if one of you is running a marathon in six months, that might be all the hope I need for right now! So, any feedback would be heaven-sent.

I can't tell you how much it meant to read about those of that are running againI literally started crying when I read that b/c it's hard to believe I'll be out there again. I woke up this morning and thought, Long runs on Sundayno more. Thank you so much for reading thisI'll plan to be back on this post where the informed people are. It seems this exchange of information it pretty critical when it's not well discussed in the larger community (medical.) Any advice on how to navigates much appreciatedmy two cents are to be really careful with decisions on how to train/run if you think you have this injury. I can't get to my coffee pot without vicoden and crutches now--for 12 days. So let me be the "after dumb choices" picture....Best, Laura

[http://This message has been edited by valleyrunner (edited Dec-03-2006).|http://This message has been edited by valleyrunner (edited Dec-03-2006).]

• tyonkovich Rookie 44 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    31. Dec 3, 2006 4:23 PM (in response to coloradolora)

dsm2112 - I was really happy to read your post and see that your having speedy recovery. I wish you the best!! Keep us posted! I can't wait for my arthrogram on Tuesday. I am scared but hopeful.

Laura - I am so sorry you are going through this and I can't believe they are giving you such a hard time to reschedule your surgery. I am in Boston and unfortunately could not give you any helpful input about your problem. just IMHO, if you were already diagnosed and it justifies surgery, I have a feeling that the insurance company might question the second MRI. Don't give up, fight for your surgery. If the initial place is not helping you, ask them at least to refer you to somewhere that could fix you sooner. I hope you get out of this nightmare soon.

Apr 23, 2006
    32. Dec 3, 2006 5:43 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Thank youyou all have no idea how much it means to just talk to other runners, who get it, and are in this worldI hope the docs in Boston are the other realm of this little insanity-world in Vail. If not, I might get on a flight to the East coast...Best, Laura

• ekgunn Rookie 45 posts since
    May 26, 2005
    33. Dec 4, 2006 12:53 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Laura,
    I too might have a labrum tear and have an MRI scheduled for this wednesday, anyway I'm in Boston and have met with "the hip doctor" at mass. general hospital sports med dept. who is trained in hip arthroscopy and works with the new england patriots. Although it appears his history with hip stuff is short (he seems young) he is very open minded and listen to me ramble on about my hip (a sign in my book that he is a good doc). So my point is if your interested you might want to do some research on Massachusetts General Hospital Ortho. surg. sports med dept. GOOD LUCK!

• Jon44 Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 9, 2006
    35. Dec 9, 2006 8:01 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hi:

Just found this thread (and website and it's a godsend...

I have "Extensive superior and anterior labral degenerative-appearing tears" and have had chronic pain for a long time.  I'm in Boston and have just started the rounds of trying find a surgeon and others to helpdefinitely not an easy process.<br /><br />Wondered if anyone had opinions on surgeons in the Boston area.  I have an appointment with McCarthy in Marchhe seems like the gold standard, but I'm considered about having to wait so long (getting on his schedule for surgery will be another 4 months at least once I get to see him).  Other guy I've seen so far is last name initials of V.F., and was not particularly impressed by him.

Also, I'd appreciate any guidance people could give on just how complicated this surgery is--do you definitely want the guy who has done the most number of surgeries, or is an up and coming guy who's smart, but less experienced, ok?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

• nappyheadkev Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 11, 2006
    36. Dec 11, 2006 11:48 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Finally, some good info.
    I have had moderate pain for years. In just the last year the pain has become unbelievable. I knew I had lower back arthritis, so I took that approach as the reason for the pain. I haven't ran sinse I got out of the army in 96. But I have always been physically active.
    The pain is so intense in the morning I have to wait hours to get out of bed. The pain has moved around my left leg in so many different ways I thought it was from calcium deposits pinching a nerve in the spine. cortizone shots in the spine have done nothing. Tommorrow the doc wants to deaden 4 vertibre to isolate the injury. I am lost as to where this is going. It seems like I am getting nothing accomplished with this injury. Now that I have read this blog I have a new approach. The only difference is the pain hurts when i sit or lay. I am pretty much ok when I stand. I can carry tons of weight around with no pain, I just can't sit or lay down. I have to curl up into a ball to get away from the pain.
    I am on my mission to get an MRI on this hip joint.

• nappyheadkev Rookie 2 posts since
    Dec 11, 2006
    37. Dec 13, 2006 4:51 AM (in response to coloradolora)

the doc is going for Piriformis syndrome.  he rotated my leg today and my *** hurt like mad.  getting an injection tomorrow.  supposed to be a rare disease.  I guess i'll have to search for a new blog with this type of injury.  you guys had me worried.  now i'm really worried

• Ltears Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Dec 23, 2006 1:10 PM (in response to coloradolora)

I have to say that it's really comforting reading this thread. After a year of physical therapy at Duke, thinking my hip problems were muscular, I moved out west and found a new therapist there who quickly realized that I needed an MRI. Not sure fortunately, or unfortunately, but the MRI showed that I had labrum tears on both hips. I followed the surgeon's advice and had the steroid/cortizone injection in my left hip (which makes cracking noises). I should have known immediately that my body wasn't reacting well, but I thought I would be fine despite the incredible limping I experienced. Within a week I wasn't able to move or walk without incredible pain--not to mention that I'm only 25. I finally had to go to the emergency room and was admitted to the hospital for over three days. Apparently I had "steroid-flare-up" as a reaction to the injection and needed to have a hip effusion.  Four months later I am finally feeling better and the pain is back to what it was when I initially sought treatment.  Moral of this story, definitely give a lot of thought before deciding to have the injection because it's not always a risk-free procedure. I also want to ask advice and see if any of you have sought physical therapy as an alternative treatment to surgery.  I've seen several hip-arthroscopic surgeons (among the best) but I am hesitant to have the surgery because there are no studies of the long term results of having a labrum removed. I'm dying to get back to the gym and to run again. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    L

• carissaks Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    39. Jan 17, 2007 9:43 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hello all,

I feel awful, I never intended waiting this long to check back in. I’ve been reading/writing intermittently and still haven’t had a chance to finish so I’m posting what I have so far.
    I was delighted to see how many have joined in this thread and are sharing their personal experiences. I’m looking forward to finish reading the newer postings.
    First and foremost, my surgery went well and I have no regrets. It’s the 3½ years of compensating that is holding me back. Having a really frustrating time right now. Today is one of my bad days. My right pelvis just won’t release – it “thinks” it still has to protect the area. With the right pelvis still out of alignment, so are the muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, etc. So I continue to compensate, can’t activate those muscles because they aren’t where they’re supposed to be. I’m at a loss right now of what to do. Web searches produce next to nothing, and offer no solace. I’ve had no progress with PT in the last four weeks. My two most recent session I left feeling worse. Today is one of my worst. I’m in tears... again. I don’t know what more I can say or do for these doctors and phys therapists to listen/understand. My body is torqued. After my PT session today, my right pelvis is so far forward and the bony part of the rear pelvis is protruding out of my lower back – just as it was before surgery. He basically put it back where it was at its worst. The pelvis is the “kingpin” holding pretty much the upper and lower body in place. I’m completely twisted. My pants feel crooked on me even though they aren’t. Please forgive me, I realize I’m venting right now. I get this nod from my PT on my way out as if “you’re fine, what we did today was in the right direction” (i.e. that’s all I had time and attention for you today and despite that you live in your body and have been living this out the past 4 years yada yada)… I went back to work, fighting tears, my skin crawling because I left even more mis-aligned. I looking forward to going back to my Pilates class this evening and couldn’t.
    Although deep down I know this isn’t true… in this moment, I’m feeling as though I was better off before surgery, happier. I was at least exercising, not on meds, sleeping better and regularly, not crying every other hour. I’m living a sedentary lifestyle now. I’ve gained a pant size. Muscle lost. I don’t even recognize my body – how it looks and even more so, how it feels. I’ve never watched so many movies (at home). Going out socially isn’t much of an option. Bar stools, movie theatre seats, restaurant chairs are not comfortable to sit in. Recreational opportunities aren’t an option. Most of this I expected given that I was having surgery, and the body needs time to heel. But I just haven’t seen that turning point yet… and by yet, I’m obviously still hopeful.
    I feel like such a downer. Often I don’t even want to go to PT because it makes me ill saying “no change” “feel worse”, etc. And knowing they won’t really listen. I’d love nothing more than to go in with a 1,000-watt smile reporting progress. And I’m tired of dealing with this… almost 4 years now. I feel like a broken record. I’m out of words when asked how something feels in a PT session.
    I’m ready for another surgery with pins in my pelvis to hold it where it’s supposed to be.

My apologies for the long-winded, verbose venting. I hope to be writing with better news soon.
    My best to everyone,
    Carissa
    Some of what I had written back in December…

runNYtrails - Thanks so much for your well wishes.

Ty- Thank you. Yes, it was the right decision, and I think you should adamantly pursue ruling out a labral tear, ligament tear, anything further than the normal injuries. How did it go? Any answers? Hope so!

dsm2112 – I’m so sorry to hear about the damage incurred over the years.  My doctor confirmed we caught mine just in time.  Only a very small portion of the articular cartilage was beginning to wear away.  Any longer, and I’d be looking at similar issues… arthritis, hip dysplasia, etc., and possible future hip replacement.  Not to mention the damage from my body overcompensating for the injury (biomechanics all off).  Through out the past years, that has probably caused me the most frustration, tears, and “heartache” if you will.  And still is.  I continue to remain hopeful that my body will sort its self out.  Both my doctor and physical therapist reaffirm that it with time and retraining the muscles, ligaments, tendons…

Apr 23, 2006
    41. Jan 21, 2007 10:56 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Hello kcstone,
    I was just going through the posts b/c my surgery is, in theory, scheduled for Feb 8. I'm fighting insurance and five thousand related factors with scheduling, etc. BUT, your post makes me nervous! One aspect of this surgery that concerns me is that it's new in that there are not long term results. I'm wondering if you'd be willing to let me know moresuch as:<br />What surgeon did you go to? <br />What were the names of the injuries your MRI confirmed?<br />What were the names of the procedures that the surgeons did?<br />And, are you able to exercise now?<br /><br />I've been a little disturbed (understatment queen here) about the goals for the results of this surgerymy reasoning behind it is so that I can run again. I'm hearing some folks that sound like they're back out there on the trailsdid you doctors indicate what they predicted your long-term running abilities to be?<br /><br />And, finallyI am so sorry for your struggles. It sounds terrible. To be feeling as if you're not making progress after such an ordeal. Are you feeling any progress? Hang in there! I'm so glad we all have this thread.
    Best, Laura

quote:

Originally posted by kcstone017:

Hello all,

I feel awful, I never intended waiting this long to check back in. I’ve been reading/writing intermittently and still haven’t had a chance to finish so I’m posting what I have so far.
    I was delighted to see how many have joined in this thread and are sharing their personal experiences. I’m looking forward to finish reading the newer postings.
    First and foremost, my surgery went well and I have no regrets. It’s the 3½ years of compensating that is holding me back. Having a really frustrating time right now. Today is one of my bad days. My right pelvis just won’t release – it “thinks” it still has to protect the area. With the right pelvis still out of alignment, so are the muscles, tendons, ligaments, nerves, etc. So I continue to compensate, can’t activate those muscles because they aren’t where they’re supposed to be. I’m at a loss right now of what to do. Web searches produce next to nothing, and offer no solace. I’ve had no progress with PT in the last four weeks. My two most recent session I left feeling worse. Today is one of my worst. I’m in tears... again. I don’t know what more I can say or do for these doctors and phys therapists to listen/understand. My body is torqued. After my PT session today, my right pelvis is so far forward and the bony part of the rear pelvis is protruding out of my lower back – just as it was before surgery. He basically put it back where it was at its worst. The pelvis is the “kingpin” holding pretty much the upper and lower body in place. I’m completely twisted. My pants feel crooked on me even though they aren’t. Please forgive me, I realize I’m venting right now. I get this nod from my PT on my way out as if “you’re fine, what we did today was in the right direction” (i.e. that’s all I had time and attention for you today and despite that you live in your body and have been living this out the past 4 years yada yada)… I went back to work, fighting tears, my skin crawling because I left even more mis-aligned. I looking forward to going back to my Pilates class this evening and couldn’t.
    Although deep down I know this isn’t true… in this moment, I’m feeling as though I was better off before surgery, happier. I was at least exercising, not on meds, sleeping better and regularly, not crying every other hour. I’m living a sedentary lifestyle now. I’ve gained a pant size. Muscle lost. I don’t even recognize my body – how it looks and even more so, how it feels. I’ve never watched so many movies (at home). Going out socially isn’t much of an option. Bar stools, movie theatre seats, restaurant chairs are not comfortable to sit in. Recreational opportunities aren’t an option. Most of this I expected given that I was having surgery, and the body needs time to heel. But I just haven’t seen that turning point yet… and by yet, I’m obviously still hopeful.
    I feel like such a downer. Often I don’t even want to go to PT because it makes me ill saying “no change” “feel worse”, etc. And knowing they won’t really listen. I’d love nothing more than to go in with a 1,000-watt smile reporting progress. And I’m tired of dealing with this… almost 4 years now. I feel like a broken record. I’m out of words when asked how something feels in a PT session.
    I’m ready for another surgery with pins in my pelvis to hold it where it’s supposed to be.

My apologies for the long-winded, verbose venting. I hope to be writing with better news soon.
    My best to everyone,
    Carissa
    Some of what I had written back in December…

runNYtrails - Thanks so much for your well wishes.

Ty- Thank you. Yes, it was the right decision, and I think you should adamantly pursue ruling out a labral tear, ligament tear, anything further than the normal injuries. How did it go? Any answers? Hope so!

dsm2112 – I’m so sorry to hear about the damage incurred over the years. My doctor confirmed we caught mine just in time. Only a very small portion of the articular cartilage was beginning to wear away. Any longer, and I’d be looking at similar issues… arthritis, hip dysplasia, etc., and possible future hip replacement. Not to mention the damage from my body overcompensating for the injury (biomechanics all off). Through out the past years, that has probably caused me the most frustration, tears, and “heartache” if you will. And still is. I continue to remain hopeful that my body will sort its self out. Both my doctor and physical therapist reaffirm that it with time and retraining the muscles, ligaments, tendons…

Apr 23, 2006
    42. Jan 21, 2007 11:02 AM (in response to coloradolora)

Dear runNYtrails,
    Thanks for starting a post with "if it is of comfort" b/c that's what I need now. You also sound very knowledgable. I'm the one that started this post a long long long time ago when I had an MRI in August. I am finally scheduled with Phillipon on Feb 8 (insurance-willing). His procedures are kind of insane--four days up there of intensive PT and then home with a passive motion machine and a foot pump and a thermcool pack and a brace and even, rotational boots! So...despite the nightmare of this, it is actually comforting to know they take the post-op scartissue/healing issues seriously.

Are you still running as strong as you sounded in this last post? I'm getting some mixed feedback because my understanding is that I'm having this so I can return to running (granted, I'll be a bit more sane about my training schedule). Did you understand that to be the goal? Would you be willing to tell me the exact names of your injuries and the procedures they did? Did your post-op involve machines and boots? And how are you now?

Thanks for helping those of us who are, hopefully, pre-op. Insurance, insurance....Best, Laura

quote:

Originally posted by runNYtrails:

If it is of any comfort or gives you any hope for recovery, I must add that I have had this surgery also and have had good results. I am back to running at least as many miles as I did prior to the surgery though now I pretty much stick to softer ground and avoid pounding the downhills as much as possible. Initially my Ortho doc told me 'no running' again. Ever.
    But I have made a better than expected come back and hope to be at it for a long , long time. Post operatively I did not do any weight bearing activity for 1month and then was able to start walking after that. I think I was running a little bit w/in 2 months. I was recovered enough to run the marathon distance w/in 6months and have since done some runs exceeding that distance. Good Luck, i hope it goes well for You too !

• Brownie028 Rookie 13 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    43. Jan 25, 2007 2:04 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hey OrthopodRunner,

I was wondering, what do you do for victims of labral tears?  Any info you can provide is greatly needed.  Thanks.

• Brownie028 Rookie 13 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    44. Jan 25, 2007 2:48 PM (in response to coloradolora)

Hello DSM,

I'm a labral tear victim too. I found your account fascinating and could I ask you, how much running or exercise of any kind were you doing during those 10 years? Do you recall any sort of injury that might have started your tear? Have you investigated possible dysplasia or impingement? Thanks.

Brownie 'Cool Runner'
    brownehn@yahoo.com

1 2 3 4 5 ... 41 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...